Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #1

18-55mm DA WR SDM Questions!

Hello I am new to the site and just bought my first Pentax camera the K-01. When I manual focus in video mode the 18-55mm lens is queit, but after doing some interval shooting and quick frame shooting the lens will sometimes make loud shutter noise when zooming in and out in manual video mode. It doesn't always do it. It does it more before I press record and half the time it will not do it while recording. It mostly does it in the 20-18mm range. Sometimes the loud noise will continue through each number. Other times it is totally silent. Should I send for another lens? And is there any way to get the AF of the K-01 to be quiet!? Or am I just doomed in that department?

Thanks

Dave

08-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I haven't looked closely at the newly released 18-55 WR, but my impression is this is a screw drive focusing lens just like all the other 18-55 models. The 18-135 WR uses an internal SDM to auto-focus which is nearly silent.
08-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I haven't looked closely at the newly released 18-55 WR, but my impression is this is a screw drive focusing lens just like all the other 18-55 models. The 18-135 WR uses an internal SDM to auto-focus which is nearly silent.

alright. That will probably be my next lens. What about the fact that sometimes the shutter is quiet while zooming in and out in video manual mode, but other times it is loud?
08-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 18-55mmWR is not SDM.

With the K-01, you will be limited by the lack of external microphone plug and the screwdrive. If you want to keep the K-01, use MF. (That is what I do.) Alternately upgrade to K-5-ii which has an port for external mic.

Last edited by hcc; 08-01-2013 at 10:27 AM.
08-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
With the K-01, you will be limited by the lack of external microphone plug and the screwdrive. If you want to keep the K-01, use MF. (That is what I do.) Alternately upgrade to K-5-ii which has an port for external mic.
The K-01 does have an external microphone connector.

But still, either use manual focus, or get a lens that focuses silently if you're into video, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The 18-55mmWR is not SDM.

I thought the K-01 has an external mic jack? Mine does. I am still wondering why sometimes my lens is silent while zooming in and out in manual video mode and other times it makes what I assume is shutter noise, especially around 20-18mm. I am pretty sure it says SDM on the side of my lens. I will look again. Thanks for the responses guys!
08-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Your 18-55 is behaving normally, it's a screw-drive lens. If you want silent than either manual focus or an 18-135 or other electric motor lens ( Pentax Sdm or Sigmas silent lenses).

08-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-01 does have an external microphone connector.
Adam, thanks for the correction. I have a K-01 for 18 months and I did not realise that it has a mic port.
08-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Your 18-55 is behaving normally, it's a screw-drive lens. If you want silent than either manual focus or an 18-135 or other electric motor lens ( Pentax Sdm or Sigmas silent lenses).

Alright sounds good to me, thanks. But still I am using manual modes and it is sometimes loud and other times it is quiet in manual video mode. It used to always be quiet then I did interval shooting and now sometimes the shutter is loud while zooming in and out in manual video mode while recording. I need to know if this is a defect, so I can send it back.
08-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #10

Original Poster
People are saying it should be quiet in manual mode. My lens is not always silent in manual video mode. Sometimes it is loud sometimes it is silent. That seems odd to me. This is my main concern, Is the lens defective? Thanks.
08-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Are you sure it is not the aperture that is making noise?

The shutter on the camera is not going to be making any noise in video mode, while zooming, focusing, etc.

I would check to make sure that the aperture tab on the lens is not bent. It could be that it is not catching right which could make it make noise.
08-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Are you sure it is not the aperture that is making noise?

The shutter on the camera is not going to be making any noise in video mode, while zooming, focusing, etc.

I would check to make sure that the aperture tab on the lens is not bent. It could be that it is not catching right which could make it make noise.
I totally agree that it is the aperture. That makes perfect sense now that I think of it. I have no idea on how to fix the perture tab in the lens. I am new to videography. I dub some videos with music, but not all, so I need this lens to be consistent. Should I send for a new one. I bought it from Adorama. Should I contact them or Pentax themselves?
Thanks for the response.
08-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveFish Quote
I totally agree that it is the aperture. That makes perfect sense now that I think of it. I have no idea on how to fix the perture tab in the lens. I am new to videography. I dub some videos with music, but not all, so I need this lens to be consistent. Should I send for a new one. I bought it from Adorama. Should I contact them or Pentax themselves?
Thanks for the response.
Can you take a picture of the back of the lens and post it?? If the tab is bent, it should be pretty apparent.

If it isn't bent, it could be that a screw has come loose inside the lens.
08-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Can you take a picture of the back of the lens and post it?? If the tab is bent, it should be pretty apparent.

If it isn't bent, it could be that a screw has come loose inside the lens.
I will upload a pic, but honestly if it is already acting up and I have had it for only one week I want to get another lens sent to me. And I want Pentax to pay for return shipping. Who should I contact to get a new lens? Adorama or Pentax?
08-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveFish Quote
I will upload a pic, but honestly if it is already acting up and I have had it for only one week I want to get another lens sent to me. And I want Pentax to pay for return shipping. Who should I contact to get a new lens? Adorama or Pentax?
I would contact Adorama. Will probably be much faster.