Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
18-55mm DA WR SDM Questions!

Hello I am new to the site and just bought my first Pentax camera the K-01. When I manual focus in video mode the 18-55mm lens is queit, but after doing some interval shooting and quick frame shooting the lens will sometimes make loud shutter noise when zooming in and out in manual video mode. It doesn't always do it. It does it more before I press record and half the time it will not do it while recording. It mostly does it in the 20-18mm range. Sometimes the loud noise will continue through each number. Other times it is totally silent. Should I send for another lens? And is there any way to get the AF of the K-01 to be quiet!? Or am I just doomed in that department?

Thanks


Dave

08-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Superior - Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,164
I haven't looked closely at the newly released 18-55 WR, but my impression is this is a screw drive focusing lens just like all the other 18-55 models. The 18-135 WR uses an internal SDM to auto-focus which is nearly silent.
08-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I haven't looked closely at the newly released 18-55 WR, but my impression is this is a screw drive focusing lens just like all the other 18-55 models. The 18-135 WR uses an internal SDM to auto-focus which is nearly silent.

alright. That will probably be my next lens. What about the fact that sometimes the shutter is quiet while zooming in and out in video manual mode, but other times it is loud?
08-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,482
The 18-55mmWR is not SDM.

With the K-01, you will be limited by the lack of external microphone plug and the screwdrive. If you want to keep the K-01, use MF. (That is what I do.) Alternately upgrade to K-5-ii which has an port for external mic.


Last edited by hcc; 08-01-2013 at 10:27 AM.
08-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,949
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
With the K-01, you will be limited by the lack of external microphone plug and the screwdrive. If you want to keep the K-01, use MF. (That is what I do.) Alternately upgrade to K-5-ii which has an port for external mic.
The K-01 does have an external microphone connector.

But still, either use manual focus, or get a lens that focuses silently if you're into video, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The 18-55mmWR is not SDM.

With the K-01, you will be limited by the lack of external microphone plug and the screwdrive. If you want to keep the K-01, use MF. (That is what I do.) Alternately upgrade to K-5-ii which has an port for external mic.

I thought the K-01 has an external mic jack? Mine does. I am still wondering why sometimes my lens is silent while zooming in and out in manual video mode and other times it makes what I assume is shutter noise, especially around 20-18mm. I am pretty sure it says SDM on the side of my lens. I will look again. Thanks for the responses guys!
08-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Your 18-55 is behaving normally, it's a screw-drive lens. If you want silent than either manual focus or an 18-135 or other electric motor lens ( Pentax Sdm or Sigmas silent lenses).
08-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,482
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-01 does have an external microphone connector.
Adam, thanks for the correction. I have a K-01 for 18 months and I did not realise that it has a mic port.

08-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Your 18-55 is behaving normally, it's a screw-drive lens. If you want silent than either manual focus or an 18-135 or other electric motor lens ( Pentax Sdm or Sigmas silent lenses).

Alright sounds good to me, thanks. But still I am using manual modes and it is sometimes loud and other times it is quiet in manual video mode. It used to always be quiet then I did interval shooting and now sometimes the shutter is loud while zooming in and out in manual video mode while recording. I need to know if this is a defect, so I can send it back.
08-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Original Poster
People are saying it should be quiet in manual mode. My lens is not always silent in manual video mode. Sometimes it is loud sometimes it is silent. That seems odd to me. This is my main concern, Is the lens defective? Thanks.
08-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 422
Are you sure it is not the aperture that is making noise?

The shutter on the camera is not going to be making any noise in video mode, while zooming, focusing, etc.

I would check to make sure that the aperture tab on the lens is not bent. It could be that it is not catching right which could make it make noise.
08-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Are you sure it is not the aperture that is making noise?

The shutter on the camera is not going to be making any noise in video mode, while zooming, focusing, etc.

I would check to make sure that the aperture tab on the lens is not bent. It could be that it is not catching right which could make it make noise.
I totally agree that it is the aperture. That makes perfect sense now that I think of it. I have no idea on how to fix the perture tab in the lens. I am new to videography. I dub some videos with music, but not all, so I need this lens to be consistent. Should I send for a new one. I bought it from Adorama. Should I contact them or Pentax themselves?
Thanks for the response.
08-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 422
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveFish Quote
I totally agree that it is the aperture. That makes perfect sense now that I think of it. I have no idea on how to fix the perture tab in the lens. I am new to videography. I dub some videos with music, but not all, so I need this lens to be consistent. Should I send for a new one. I bought it from Adorama. Should I contact them or Pentax themselves?
Thanks for the response.
Can you take a picture of the back of the lens and post it?? If the tab is bent, it should be pretty apparent.

If it isn't bent, it could be that a screw has come loose inside the lens.
08-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Can you take a picture of the back of the lens and post it?? If the tab is bent, it should be pretty apparent.

If it isn't bent, it could be that a screw has come loose inside the lens.
I will upload a pic, but honestly if it is already acting up and I have had it for only one week I want to get another lens sent to me. And I want Pentax to pay for return shipping. Who should I contact to get a new lens? Adorama or Pentax?
08-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 422
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveFish Quote
I will upload a pic, but honestly if it is already acting up and I have had it for only one week I want to get another lens sent to me. And I want Pentax to pay for return shipping. Who should I contact to get a new lens? Adorama or Pentax?
I would contact Adorama. Will probably be much faster.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
18-55mm, k-01, lens, mode, noise, pentax help, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K30 w/ 18-135mm or K5 w/ 18-55mm AL WR & SMCP-DA 50-200mm WR biscohuffer Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 06-25-2013 08:30 PM
K5 with Kit 18-55mm WR questions djrocks66 Pentax K-5 10 07-12-2012 10:43 AM
For Sale - Sold: DA 18-55mm WR, DA 50-200mm WR relyt Sold Items 7 05-24-2012 07:43 AM
Questions about DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM junototoro Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 04-24-2012 08:52 AM
DA 18-55mm AL II vs DAL 18-55mm (kit lens) vs DA 18-55mm WR rustynail925 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 01-08-2010 02:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top