Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #1

Total Newbie Question

Hey everyone,

I was out taking my first few pictures with my K-30 today, and I noticed this weird/cool effect.
Here's the picture: IMGP0056.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I purposely used a low aperture to get the background out of focus, but it kinda has the swirly, circular effect. Is this normal? And how can I do it on purpose again?

Thanks

08-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
its pretty normal depending on the lens, just do exactly what you did in that photo to get it again:
Big aperture, busy background, close focus
08-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Helios 58mm f2 lenses do that, some versions more strongly than others. The centered, in-focus subject gives the swirl something to rotate around, the busy background is something to swirl, vignetting darkens the non-swirly corners. A fisheye lens can sometimes look similar, because the distortion curves any uncentered lines. Fisheyes have so much depth of field that an out of focus background is harder to arrange.