Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Problem: ME Super & AF200s Flash

I have a problem getting my AF200s flash to work properly with my ME Super (ME S). According to the ME S manual (pg. 28) the ME S & AF200s should synch automatically at 1/125 sec. I do everything according to the manual but never get the green "M" LED or "125X" LED flashing in the Viewfinder (which tells me the camera & flash aren't talking). I took a test picture and the flash fired but the shutter speed was what the camera wanted as if the flash wasn't present (in this case 4 seconds).

A bit of background: I recently got my ME S back from getting a new shutter, cleaning, and light meter cal and it's working great. In anticipation for getting my ME Super fixed I bought a like new AF200s flash. I have the owners manuals for both the camera and the flash. The flash charges up and fires off with the Test button and recharges quickly. The previous owner had the batteries leak slightly at the battery door contacts but it was cleaned up when I got it. The inside of the battery compartment looks fine (quite clean actually). I cleaned the hot shoe and flash contacts with a pencil eraser and also did the same for the battery door (just in case).

I'm wondering if in the process of being overhauled something didn't get connected in the camera to allow the flash to synch. All ideas ares appreciated.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 08-01-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: changed Title
08-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

ME Super here with AF160 and AF160Sa flash units works exactly as described on page 28.
If you have a multimeter:

When the AF160 is ready ( measured off camera) the voltage on the offset pin rises to 2.08 Volt, on the AF160SA it is 2.6 Volt.

The impedance between the camera offset contact and the shoe is 28 kOhm
08-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have a meter, I'll check it out.
08-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I measured 5.93 VDC. When you say: impedance between the camera offset contact and the shoe is 28 kOhm, I'm not sure I'm getting a good reading. Is that the trigger pin and the ground?

08-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The flash trigger contact on the camera is the larger contact that is centralized to the hot shoe.
The signal pin is to the right rear looking down with the camera lens pointing away from you
Put meter in Resistance mode and measure between the signal pin and the hotshoe frame.

Put meter in DC Volt mode. Measure the flash with it switched on, but off camera . The center trigger pin should have about 5 Volt or more. with respect to the side contacts in the grooves.
The offset signal pin should have 2 Volt or more
08-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Trigger = 5.9 VDC
Signal = 2.84 VDC
08-02-2013, 03:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sound like the problem is in the camera then.

08-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ya', it seems like it, huh. I have a 1 year warranty on the work they did so I'll drop by there today and talk to them. Thanks for the assist.
08-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ahh, the benefits of working with a local camera dealer. I took my flash and camera back to the shop where I had my ME Super repaired and they checked the flash against another camera to weed out a flash problem. It turns out there were some contacts in the camera not aligned. While I waited they pulled the top off the ME Super and fixed the problem. I now have a fully functioning camera with the AF200s sending the signal to set the shutter to 1/125 and the "M" flashes green when the flash is charged (just like it should according to the manual). What a treat to deal with people who take care of you. If you get the chance to deal with Knight Camera in Vancouver, WA I hope your experience is as good as this one was for me.
08-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
If you get the chance to deal with Knight Camera in Vancouver, WA
Mike (Knight) is one of my favorite guys! Glad he was able to fix you up!

Steve