Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #1

K2000 Performance Issues

Just recently my K2000 has started to have performance issues. I have tried 3 or 4 sets of new lithium disposable batteries. I see here that many problems have a recommendation to switch to Enloops rechargeable, but since I have had nothing but good luck with my disp. lithiums until now, I'm looking for other advice please. The batteries are being drained quickly and then focus performance is poor. I've never had this camera serviced, I am wondering if it is recommended and if so, local camera shop or Pentax? I've tried putting all my settings back to factory settings. I've tried different lenses. Any thoughts? I love this camera and hate the thought of having to buy a new model.

08-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would suggest cleaning the contacts in the battery compartment. The tabs do eventually bend far back or develop contaminants resulting in poor contact. The official Pentax service center in US is C.R.I.S. Camera Repair by CRIS Camera Services: Digital Camera Repair: Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh, Sigma

You can send your K2000 to them for repair estimate – you will have to pay for shipping.
08-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
I would suggest cleaning the contacts in the battery compartment. The tabs do eventually bend far back or develop contaminants resulting in poor contact. The official Pentax service center in US is C.R.I.S. Camera Repair by CRIS Camera Services: Digital Camera Repair: Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh, Sigma

You can send your K2000 to them for repair estimate – you will have to pay for shipping.
Thanks! Any advice for cleaning those contacts? I did try to bend them forward today as I thought they were somewhat compressed. I also wondered if there was any kind of troubleshooting checklist that might help me narrow down my problem. I shoot almost exclusively in AP mode.
08-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You can use any of the commercially available electronic contact cleaners. Spray it on a Q-tip then rub it on the contact points. Do it quick since they evaporate in seconds. When you say the batteries draining off rapidly, are they actually dead – tested with a voltmeter? I’m not sure about the K-m/K-2000 but the K-x had issues with inaccurate battery level meter with earlier firmware – though you did mentioned issue is recent. HAve you updated your firmware?
Could you elaborate on “Poor focus performance” you’re referring to?– Slow, Inaccurate, shooting conditions? Better yet, post a sample if possible.