Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #1

Used Pentax SMC-DA Digital 35mm f2.8 MACRO Limited

Just bought this lens from eBay for $400 used.

I used K-30.

When set to AF, sometimes, the lens will extend and retract and only then will acquire focus.

Is it to do with F setting or?

Also when I try to get some Macro shots i have difficulty getting focus sometimes and I miss the shot.

Could it be something wrong with lens or I'm just a big nub? I'm a bit concerned about the lens because it used (I did take it to photo repair shop and they quickly tested it and said its fine).

Thank you for help.

08-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF with macro lenses is generally slow, as macro lenses have long focusing throw, so they tend to "hunt" more. Your best bet for macros is to use manual focus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ar.Pi Quote
When set to AF, sometimes, the lens will extend and retract and only then will acquire focus.

Is it to do with F setting or?
Can you post your AF settings? Are you using single point? 5-point? 11-point?

QuoteQuote:
Also when I try to get some Macro shots i have difficulty getting focus sometimes and I miss the shot.
At what magnification? The lens should tell you what magnification you are trying to reach by the scale on top of the lens.
In general, shooting macro lenses at magnifications from 1:2 to 1:1 can be difficult for the AF system because you are decreasing the light seen by the AF system. The solution can be to shoot a brighter scene (sunny day, or a lamp directed at your subject).
08-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

And are you looking through the viewfinder, or using live view, i.e., looking through the rear LCD?

08-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply's!
QuoteQuote:
AF with macro lenses is generally slow, as macro lenses have long focusing throw, so they tend to "hunt" more. Your best bet for macros is to use manual focus.
Ok I'll keep that in mind.
QuoteQuote:
Can you post your AF settings? Are you using single point? 5-point? 11-point?
I tried all of them. Which one is better for what situation?

QuoteQuote:
In general, shooting macro lenses at magnifications from 1:2 to 1:1
Can you explain in few words how it works?
I have on my lens m/ft/1/x

I guess 1/x means magnification. But this ring also for focus?

QuoteQuote:
And are you looking through the viewfinder, or using live view, i.e., looking through the rear LCD?
Mostly I'm using the viewfinder.
08-03-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, when you set the focus ring to the nearest setting (ie the lens is fully extended) you get 1:1 magnification if you have something in focus. The m/ft probably means focusing distance in Meters/Feet.
08-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The easiest way to focus in macro is usually done by manually setting desired magnification with the focus ring, and then move the camera back and forth to set focus.

08-04-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Focus hunting is quite normal for this lens. If you focus manually to try to get almost focused, then press the button, it will hunt less often. If you want a lens that focuses very fast with no hunting, the DA40 is your lens. The downside of that lens is it does not focus very closely, so not good for small things.

For macro, it is best to use manual focus, set the magnification you want, and move the camera back and forth to focus. If you look at the focus scale, the white number tells you magnification. It is an inverse scale, so 10 really means 1/10, so the object on the sensor will be 1/10 it's actual size, set at 2, the bug will be half it's actual size on the image sensor. The other numbers are feet or meters. So at 1/2 (2 on the white scale) to focus properly, you will need to be just a little closer than 0.17m, or right about 0.55 feet.
08-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you guys so much for all the help
08-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For macro I use center point focus and metering. Typically the subject I'm interested in is centered in the frame anyway. When manually focusing you may want to roll the focus forward or back and take multiple shots.

Also remember these images are huge, you can help yourself by pulling back a bit and then cropping later.