Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cheap sensor swabs on eBay.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Please only respond if you have actually used them, but has anyone tried any of the cheap sensor cleaning swabs you can get on ebay? If so, how are they? I know that it is a risk, but I am curious about results from actual experience.

Thanks

08-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I dont know about the pre-made swabs, however I have used these on both a K-5 as well as a K10:

Eclipse 2oz Optic Cleaning Fluid and PEC Pad 4"x4" Wipes 100 Pack Photosol | eBay

Its 100% like a professional clean. Each pad I can cut down into 4 pieces and use on 4 separate occasions. You also get a ridiculous amount of solution. You would never need to do a wet clean professionally. The only challenge is coming up with a "stick" to put the pad on. Luckily I had a few laying around from a time when I had bought a pre-moistened ones from bhphoto and I just reused the plastic part.
08-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would be wary if they are shipped from China, there are counterfeit lenspens, filters, memory cards, etc. Who knows.
08-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #4

Yes, it's shipping from the China province of Carlstadt, New Jersey. FTR, there are lots of mainstream products that are made in China and re-branded with americanized names to sell to the American public. I bet that most of the camera cleaning gear is made in CHINA.

08-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
Yes, it's shipping from the China province of Carlstadt, New Jersey. FTR, there are lots of mainstream products that are made in China and re-branded with americanized names to sell to the American public. I bet that most of the camera cleaning gear is made in CHINA.
You are absolutely right. Companies like Lenspen outsourced production to increase profit. But in doing that they showed the Chinese how to make it. But the "genuine" ones still have some specifications to meet and we hope they inspected and are tested. But when you buy it directly from China the risk is higher, not to say that I can't buy 10,000 sensor swabs from China and sell them on ebay shipped from Ohio, because it's done every day.
08-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Wow. Had no idea such things existed. I always thought it was a big no-no to touch the sensors. I've only used the air puff/blower thingy which fortunately has worked well for me..
08-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm just really curious if anyone has used the bargain ones and if they did the job well without leaving lint behind.

08-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't want to completely change the topic but how did you get them to stay on the stick?

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
I dont know about the pre-made swabs, however I have used these on both a K-5 as well as a K10:

Eclipse 2oz Optic Cleaning Fluid and PEC Pad 4"x4" Wipes 100 Pack Photosol | eBay

Its 100% like a professional clean. Each pad I can cut down into 4 pieces and use on 4 separate occasions. You also get a ridiculous amount of solution. You would never need to do a wet clean professionally. The only challenge is coming up with a "stick" to put the pad on. Luckily I had a few laying around from a time when I had bought a pre-moistened ones from bhphoto and I just reused the plastic part.
08-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, I'm taking this to mean no one has experimented with the inexpensive swabs. (I'm not sure i want to be the first.)

I'm talking about the likes of these:

https://touch.ebay.com/tablet/item?itemId=321163710520&rd=vi
08-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I don't want to completely change the topic but how did you get them to stay on the stick?
Sorry I have no experience with the ones in the link you provided. The swab stick is just plastic handle with a wide flat edge on one end. What I do is I cut the pec pad along its length and the width i choose is about twice the width of the swab (this way I can fold it for a little extra peace of mind). After I fold, I hold it onto the pad firmly and use a rubber band (may have to wrap it around a few times until its tight enough).

The end result looks something like this

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00evNaQBVEEMbw/Camera-Sensor-Cleaning-Swabs.jpg
08-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Sorry I have no experience with the ones in the link you provided. The swab stick is just plastic handle with a wide flat edge on one end. What I do is I cut the pec pad along its length and the width i choose is about twice the width of the swab (this way I can fold it for a little extra peace of mind). After I fold, I hold it onto the pad firmly and use a rubber band (may have to wrap it around a few times until its tight enough).

The end result looks something like this

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00evNaQBVEEMbw/Camera-Sensor-Cleaning-Swabs.jpg
Exactly, good directions! I've used the Sensor Swab brand and they leave no residue.
08-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
Wow. Had no idea such things existed. I always thought it was a big no-no to touch the sensors. I've only used the air puff/blower thingy which fortunately has worked well for me..
Keep doing what you are doing. You always want to use the least aggressive process that gets the job done when dealing with optics. The more aggressive the cleaning the greater the risk of damage.
08-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The only time I've ever had to clean my sensor was about a year ago, cleaned it with 99.8% isopropyl (Reagent grade, 0.2% water). Sensor aren't quite as delicate as they're made out to be, but it's still inadvisable. If you want your sensor cleaned, check with a good photo store, as most of them will do it for $20-40.

A rocket blower is also a good idea, if you haven't invested in one yet. Doesn't need to be "Giottos", just something with a valve on the intake. (I have a Rocketfish from Future Shop/Best Buy. Works well, cost me $5)