Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
No problem, and although I can not guarantee it, the camera mount is quite strong, I had my various strong arm fights to get M42 adapted lenses from the mount. If you get the adapter to grip while pulling the lens and turning anti clock wise, just increase the pressure gradually, until the adapter releases from the screw mount of the lens, no sudden forceful yanking or pulling, gradual increase of pressure is the key, almost like unscrewing that jam bottle that the missus usually bring to you to open
Just before I try mud wrestling my little beauties
- the lens stuck in Auto position, is that anything?
- I suppose the very bottom (awkward to hold) ring is the only ring to try & turn. Maybe I could build it up a bit with rubber?

Dunno if the snap is any use - guess I'm just trying to put this off

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG PL210, PL211 / VLUU PL210, PL21  Photo 
08-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Btw, I think people often have problems with off-brand m42 adapters, so feel free to search this forum for threads on it and maybe you will find a solution. Its most important to stay calm, because panic can do more damage than a faulty adapter
- Right, don't PANIC

This is the offending adapter, Neewer, ebay title 'New Silver Pentax M42 42mm to PK K Mount Adapter Ring Infinity Focus'
Attached Images

08-03-2013, 02:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems like the correct adapter, as I said, it might not have engaged properly first time out. Try and align the lens up to the position where the red dot on the adapter is in the 2 o'clock position, with M42 lenses that is not always in the position as it is with k mount lenses, the f stop indicators on the lens might be more to the side, but if you can try and get the red dot in the correct position, you might get the mount to engage correctly with the camera mount and pull it into the correct position again. If you can't see where the red dot is, turn the lens slowly until it slides in position...do it slowly as the the mount must be aligned perfectly for it to engage, you're talking of fractions of a mm, so patience is the name of the game.
08-03-2013, 02:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I must say, I also have lenses that are a tight fit, and takes a bit of elbow grease to put on or remove from the camera.... then I've also got a few M42 lenses that I've had to make a shim from a cooldrink can (very thin), as it they are a bit loose when engaging the mount, you might have one of those on hand...

08-03-2013, 02:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GBNeil Quote
- Right, don't PANIC

This is the offending adapter, Neewer, ebay title 'New Silver Pentax M42 42mm to PK K Mount Adapter Ring Infinity Focus'
Have you removed the spring and screw from the adapter before putting it on the lens?
08-03-2013, 02:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Just before I try mud wrestling my little beauties
- the lens stuck in Auto position, is that anything?
- I suppose the very bottom (awkward to hold) ring is the only ring to try & turn. Maybe I could build it up a bit with rubber?

Dunno if the snap is any use - guess I'm just trying to put this off
It should not matter if it is in auto or manual, because that doesn't cause anything to get in or out of the way that might have any influence on mounting the lens correctly.

I once used one of these kind of bottle cap removers, to remove a lens that gave me problems, that might indicate the amount of force you might have to use
08-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Have you removed the spring and screw from the adapter before putting it on the lens?
- Unfortunately I didn't read this until too late

Is the ' force turning anti clockwise method ' safer than removing the Mount? ie. Do the Mounts break?

I'm guessing spraying WD40 is a really bad idea?

08-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #23

- Right, don't PANIC

It's not an original Pentax made adapter it's a third party adapter. This type is known to create problems. What I think must have happened is that the threads on the lens and the adapter was attached a little bit wrong. I did the same thing a few years ago but luckily I could get the adapter of the camera but then I still had big problems removing the adaptor from the lens. I finally had a friend holding the lens tigthly and then with a screwdriver and a hammer was abel to remove the adaptor. I had to do like that as it really was impossible to remove it any other way.

After that I bought a real Pentax made adaptor, no more third party for me.
08-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I bit of WD40 on the screw part might help to reduce the force necessary to unscrew the lens. With enough force either the mount or the adapter might break, that is a chance you take, but as I've indicated the bottle opener I once had to use to unscrew a lens from the adapter, which was stuck to the camera and didn't want to move even when using the lens release button, might indicate what kind of force the mount and adapter can take without breaking.

I would actually first try and realign the lens correctly, and pull it into position first before unscrewing it. If the screw and spring was not removed originally, you'll have to unscrew it, as that part locks the adapter into place in the mount and you have to use the lever supplied with the adapter to remove it, after removing the lens.
08-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phii Mii Quote
It's not an original Pentax made adapter it's a third party adapter. This type is known to create problems. What I think must have happened is that the threads on the lens and the adapter was attached a little bit wrong. I did the same thing a few years ago but luckily I could get the adapter of the camera but then I still had big problems removing the adaptor from the lens. I finally had a friend holding the lens tigthly and then with a screwdriver and a hammer was abel to remove the adaptor. I had to do like that as it really was impossible to remove it any other way.

I use both, without problems. The OP unfortunately didn't remove the screw and spring from the adapter when he tried to implement the type of more permanent conversion a lot of people like me use. Doing it that way, you get a few adapters and actually attach it to the lens on a more permanent basis, not having to remove the adapter separately all the time, especially if you use other K-mount lenses also. By not removing the spring and screw, the only way he should have attached the lens and adapter, is the way you are doing it
08-03-2013, 03:09 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Phii Mii Quote

I think the adapter was threaded on the lens correctly but probably the adapter/lens not properly onto the camera. Either way I have a problem. I'll be so relieved if I get this problem resolved I might even consider the exorbidant cost of genuine Pentax Adapters in future.
08-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I think the adapter was threaded on the lens correctly but probably the adapter/lens not properly onto the camera. Either way I have a problem. I'll be so relieved if I get this problem resolved I might even consider the exorbidant cost of genuine Pentax Adapters in future.
See my post above, the only problem is that to use it the way you want, you have to remove that spring and screw from the adapter first. But really, just try to align it again with the red dot in the correct place, pull it outward until it locks firmly, then start unscrewing it slowly with steadily increasing pressure, it should release like a tightly screwed on bottle cap, all of a sudden, just some constantly supplied pressure in the right direction, and it should work
08-03-2013, 03:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Do these steps apply for you?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/167741-...-solution.html
08-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
I would actually first try and realign the lens correctly, and pull it into position first before unscrewing it
- Not having much luck with that (can't find the red dot on the adapter) - Will try further

you'll have to unscrew it, as that part locks the adapter into place in the mount and you have to use the lever supplied with the adapter to remove it, after removing the lens
- Ok, the lens must be unscrewed first

What about removing the Mount?

I really appreciate all of this!
08-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, unscrew the lens first. Then use the tool that came with the adapter to depress that little lever in it. Now press the de-mount button, hold it, and twist the adapter as you would a regular lens. Once its twisted until the red dots align, you can raise it out of the camera.
The link I posted earlier is more of a worst case surgery, hopefully it wont be needed