Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #31
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,927
This is the shim I made for the lens that was not a tight fit. This also shorts out the contact pins, allowing you to use CIF, and it does not affect infinnity, as it is very thin




in this one you can see the adapter, spring and screw removed, with the shim, permanently fitted on a Tokina 135mm lens, see the red dot and its relation to the rest of the points on the adapter and lens



08-03-2013, 03:46 AM   #32
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colchester, UK
Posts: 76
Original Poster
Thanks to everyone so far ( & particularly Christo ) - really amazing response - brilliant!

Not panicking quite so badly now

I'm going to bike into town & see if I can find a tin lid turner.

I'll report back later.

Thanks again!
08-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #33
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sunny Dun(ny)fermline, Fife
Posts: 350
Neil, where about are you? maybe there is a forum member nearby?
08-03-2013, 04:06 AM   #34
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colchester, UK
Posts: 76
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
Neil, where about are you? maybe there is a forum member nearby?
Thanks for the thought, who knows

Colchester, Essex, UK

08-03-2013, 04:10 AM   #35
Site Supporter
altopiet's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Karoo, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,927
QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
Neil, where about are you? maybe there is a forum member nearby?
That's a good call, I feel that if I just had it in my hands, I would immediately see what the problem is and know how to solve it. English is not my home language,
making it sometimes difficult to express myself correctly
08-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #36
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colchester, UK
Posts: 76
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
English is not my home language, making it sometimes difficult to express myself correctly
- Blimey mate, I'd never have guessed - v. impressive!

Right, off now.

Cheers!
08-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #37
Ole
Administrator
Ole's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,881
The lens with adapter rotates freely 360 degrees as I understand you. Then it should just be a question of finding the right position and pull the lens straight out, no force required. Find the position where all three flanges will clear the flanges of the camera mount.
08-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #38
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colchester, UK
Posts: 76
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The lens with adapter rotates freely 360 degrees as I understand you. Then it should just be a question of finding the right position and pull the lens straight out, no force required. Find the position where all three flanges will clear the flanges of the camera mount.
- No, unfortunately the lens & adapter rotate about 5 degrees & maybe 1 - 2 mm back & forward.

I took the kit to my local camera shop, a franchise. He examined it and tried unsuccessfully to remove it. He suggested sending it off to an engineer, approx 70! I asked him about the brute force turning method but he thought the plastic holding the Mount might give. He did however also suggest removing the Mount as outlined https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/167741-...-solution.html.
I'm leaning towards removing the Mount & bought a set of cross headed screwdrivers - unfortunately they are not quite small enough

08-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #39
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,261
The problem most likely is the auto release pin on the Takumar. Since you say the auto/manual switch won't operate I'm fairly certain this is the case. The notches on 3rd party adapters allow this pin to pop out and then catch on the adapter when you try do unscrew the lens. A solution is to slip a thin sheet of metal between the lens and camera mounts to push the pin back in. Suggestions are - thinnest feeler gauge used in automotive repair shops, a section of a beer or soda pop can, single edge razor blade.

If you face the lens pointing towards you the pin is at the 9 o'clock position relative to the red diamond focus mark.

See this thread post #10 illustrates the problem.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/222627-...ck-camera.html

Users say that the adapter that SRB sells works as well as the OEM Pentax adapter. Otherwise it is recommended to remove the spring clip on 3rd party adapters.

http://www.srb-griturn.com/pentax-k-to-m42-3355-p.asp
08-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #40
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colchester, UK
Posts: 76
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The problem most likely is the auto release pin on the Takumar. Since you say the auto/manual switch won't operate I'm fairly certain this is the case. The notches on 3rd party adapters allow this pin to pop out and then catch on the adapter when you try do unscrew the lens. A solution is to slip a thin sheet of metal between the lens and camera mounts to push the pin back in. Suggestions are - thinnest feeler gauge used in automotive repair shops, a section of a beer or soda pop can, single edge razor blade.

If you face the lens pointing towards you the pin is at the 9 o'clock position relative to the red diamond focus mark.

See this thread post #10 illustrates the problem.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/222627-...ck-camera.html

Users say that the adapter that SRB sells works as well as the OEM Pentax adapter. Otherwise it is recommended to remove the spring clip on 3rd party adapters.

Pentax M42 adaptor|M42 lens| Pentax K
This is a complete description of my problem, even the same lens - thank-you so much!

The feeler gauges are long gone. The only razor blades are from my knife & too thick. Some hunting around is required - the gap does seem minimal but I'm encouraged that Philosopher managed it.

One question regarding
QuoteQuote:
If you face the lens pointing towards you the pin is at the 9 o'clock position relative to the red diamond focus mark.
- That would be approx the red aligning mark on the Mount?

Thanks for that!
08-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #41
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,261
I only have the OEM adapter but you can see where the slots are relative to the red mounting alignment mark on the mount. If the slots are in the same position on the Neewer adapter I would guess the pin is in the slot near the 4 o'clock position. If you were able to unscrew the lens about a quarter to half turn before it got stuck that would be the most probably position.

Since the pin is on the lens you would have to located it relative to a landmark on the lens. The red diamond is on the Depth of Field Scale next to the Distance scale on the focus ring.

Although I used the photo for a different purpose the red arrow just happens to be pointing to the slot that I suspect the pin protruding into.
08-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #42
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,862
QuoteOriginally posted by GBNeil Quote
This is a complete description of my problem, even the same lens - thank-you so much!

The feeler gauges are long gone. The only razor blades are from my knife & too thick. Some hunting around is required - the gap does seem minimal but I'm encouraged that Philosopher managed it.
I agree that this is your problem. Feeler gauges are the only tool that I can think of to work. They are thin enough for the gap and stiff enough to move the pin.

If that fails, I would not do anything to the camera mount. The screws are tempting because you can see them, but I'm worried about getting the mount back together. It is possible to disassemble the lens to get to the other side of the tiny pin and pull it up. The lens is different here but construction is similar. You'd go to about step 8 to get the rest of the lens off the mount, then you would have to disassemble some of tat mechanism to access the other side of the pin.
08-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #43
Site Supporter
JimJohnson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Superior - Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,271
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I agree that this is your problem. Feeler gauges are the only tool that I can think of to work. They are thin enough for the gap and stiff enough to move the pin.

If that fails, I would not do anything to the camera mount. The screws are tempting because you can see them, but I'm worried about getting the mount back together. It is possible to disassemble the lens to get to the other side of the tiny pin and pull it up. The lens is different here but construction is similar. You'd go to about step 8 to get the rest of the lens off the mount, then you would have to disassemble some of tat mechanism to access the other side of the pin.
IF you can remove the 5 screws holding the lens mount to the camera, it lifts straight off. I have done it several times (although, not with a lens mounted). See Newarts post HERE. However, I'm not sure being able to get to the back side of the mount is going to make the task any easier.
08-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #44
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colchester, UK
Posts: 76
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
IF you can remove the 5 screws holding the lens mount to the camera, it lifts straight off. I have done it several times (although, not with a lens mounted). See Newarts post HERE. However, I'm not sure being able to get to the back side of the mount is going to make the task any easier.
I've found the following:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/167741-...-solution.html

Basically the same problem as mine. What I'm trying to understand is from above:

QuoteQuote:
3. Carefully pull the mount out. Right under the mount there is a flexible ring with a connector welded to it. Sometimes the ring goes out with the mount.
Does this mean if I separate the flexible ring with connector from the Mount, the Mount /Adapter/Lens will be completely separate from the Camera?

Thanks!
08-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #45
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colchester, UK
Posts: 76
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I agree that this is your problem. Feeler gauges are the only tool that I can think of to work. They are thin enough for the gap and stiff enough to move the pin.

If that fails, I would not do anything to the camera mount. The screws are tempting because you can see them, but I'm worried about getting the mount back together. It is possible to disassemble the lens to get to the other side of the tiny pin and pull it up. The lens is different here but construction is similar. You'd go to about step 8 to get the rest of the lens off the mount, then you would have to disassemble some of tat mechanism to access the other side of the pin.
I'm putting in an order for Feeler gauges now!

I'm trying to assess my options if they fail. The idea of taking the lens to pieces is good & if I had any experience of this would probably go for it - real pity it has to be the Takumar! Although I have no experience removing the Mount it seems less daunting to me, was the method chosen by my LCS & has been highlighted here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/167741-...-solution.html

Thanks!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, auto, camera, lens, m42, mount, pentax help
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help pls - M Lens beginners question GBNeil Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 12 06-11-2013 07:04 AM
Pentax + M4/3 users pls help!!!! suoersta Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 54 06-07-2012 09:38 AM
Pentax K5 custom settings HELP PLS el baroda Pentax K-5 3 05-28-2012 02:14 AM
Pentax 645 film loading help pls! Ches Pentax Medium Format 6 09-26-2011 01:30 PM
Urgent help pls bollicina31 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 10-06-2009 09:07 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:53 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top