Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2013, 03:34 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the shim I made for the lens that was not a tight fit. This also shorts out the contact pins, allowing you to use CIF, and it does not affect infinnity, as it is very thin

in this one you can see the adapter, spring and screw removed, with the shim, permanently fitted on a Tokina 135mm lens, see the red dot and its relation to the rest of the points on the adapter and lens

08-03-2013, 03:46 AM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone so far ( & particularly Christo ) - really amazing response - brilliant!

Not panicking quite so badly now

I'm going to bike into town & see if I can find a tin lid turner.

I'll report back later.

Thanks again!
08-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Neil, where about are you? maybe there is a forum member nearby?
08-03-2013, 04:06 AM   #34
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
Thanks for the thought, who knows

Colchester, Essex, UK

08-03-2013, 04:10 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
That's a good call, I feel that if I just had it in my hands, I would immediately see what the problem is and know how to solve it. English is not my home language,
making it sometimes difficult to express myself correctly
08-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
English is not my home language, making it sometimes difficult to express myself correctly
- Blimey mate, I'd never have guessed - v. impressive!

Right, off now.

Cheers!
08-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #37
Ole
Administrator

The lens with adapter rotates freely 360 degrees as I understand you. Then it should just be a question of finding the right position and pull the lens straight out, no force required. Find the position where all three flanges will clear the flanges of the camera mount.

08-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The lens with adapter rotates freely 360 degrees as I understand you. Then it should just be a question of finding the right position and pull the lens straight out, no force required. Find the position where all three flanges will clear the flanges of the camera mount.
- No, unfortunately the lens & adapter rotate about 5 degrees & maybe 1 - 2 mm back & forward.

I took the kit to my local camera shop, a franchise. He examined it and tried unsuccessfully to remove it. He suggested sending it off to an engineer, approx £70! I asked him about the brute force turning method but he thought the plastic holding the Mount might give. He did however also suggest removing the Mount as outlined https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/167741-...-solution.html.
I'm leaning towards removing the Mount & bought a set of cross headed screwdrivers - unfortunately they are not quite small enough
08-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #39

The problem most likely is the auto release pin on the Takumar. Since you say the auto/manual switch won't operate I'm fairly certain this is the case. The notches on 3rd party adapters allow this pin to pop out and then catch on the adapter when you try do unscrew the lens. A solution is to slip a thin sheet of metal between the lens and camera mounts to push the pin back in. Suggestions are - thinnest feeler gauge used in automotive repair shops, a section of a beer or soda pop can, single edge razor blade.

If you face the lens pointing towards you the pin is at the 9 o'clock position relative to the red diamond focus mark.

See this thread post #10 illustrates the problem.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/222627-...ck-camera.html

Users say that the adapter that SRB sells works as well as the OEM Pentax adapter. Otherwise it is recommended to remove the spring clip on 3rd party adapters.

http://www.srb-griturn.com/pentax-k-to-m42-3355-p.asp
08-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #40
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The problem most likely is the auto release pin on the Takumar. Since you say the auto/manual switch won't operate I'm fairly certain this is the case. The notches on 3rd party adapters allow this pin to pop out and then catch on the adapter when you try do unscrew the lens. A solution is to slip a thin sheet of metal between the lens and camera mounts to push the pin back in. Suggestions are - thinnest feeler gauge used in automotive repair shops, a section of a beer or soda pop can, single edge razor blade.

If you face the lens pointing towards you the pin is at the 9 o'clock position relative to the red diamond focus mark.

See this thread post #10 illustrates the problem.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/222627-...ck-camera.html

Users say that the adapter that SRB sells works as well as the OEM Pentax adapter. Otherwise it is recommended to remove the spring clip on 3rd party adapters.

Pentax M42 adaptor|M42 lens| Pentax K
This is a complete description of my problem, even the same lens - thank-you so much!

The feeler gauges are long gone. The only razor blades are from my knife & too thick. Some hunting around is required - the gap does seem minimal but I'm encouraged that Philosopher managed it.

One question regarding
QuoteQuote:
- That would be approx the red aligning mark on the Mount?

Thanks for that!
08-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #41

I only have the OEM adapter but you can see where the slots are relative to the red mounting alignment mark on the mount. If the slots are in the same position on the Neewer adapter I would guess the pin is in the slot near the 4 o'clock position. If you were able to unscrew the lens about a quarter to half turn before it got stuck that would be the most probably position.

Since the pin is on the lens you would have to located it relative to a landmark on the lens. The red diamond is on the Depth of Field Scale next to the Distance scale on the focus ring.

Although I used the photo for a different purpose the red arrow just happens to be pointing to the slot that I suspect the pin protruding into.
08-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GBNeil Quote
This is a complete description of my problem, even the same lens - thank-you so much!

The feeler gauges are long gone. The only razor blades are from my knife & too thick. Some hunting around is required - the gap does seem minimal but I'm encouraged that Philosopher managed it.
I agree that this is your problem. Feeler gauges are the only tool that I can think of to work. They are thin enough for the gap and stiff enough to move the pin.

If that fails, I would not do anything to the camera mount. The screws are tempting because you can see them, but I'm worried about getting the mount back together. It is possible to disassemble the lens to get to the other side of the tiny pin and pull it up. The lens is different here but construction is similar. You'd go to about step 8 to get the rest of the lens off the mount, then you would have to disassemble some of tat mechanism to access the other side of the pin.
08-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I agree that this is your problem. Feeler gauges are the only tool that I can think of to work. They are thin enough for the gap and stiff enough to move the pin.

If that fails, I would not do anything to the camera mount. The screws are tempting because you can see them, but I'm worried about getting the mount back together. It is possible to disassemble the lens to get to the other side of the tiny pin and pull it up. The lens is different here but construction is similar. You'd go to about step 8 to get the rest of the lens off the mount, then you would have to disassemble some of tat mechanism to access the other side of the pin.
IF you can remove the 5 screws holding the lens mount to the camera, it lifts straight off. I have done it several times (although, not with a lens mounted). See Newarts post HERE. However, I'm not sure being able to get to the back side of the mount is going to make the task any easier.
08-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #44
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
IF you can remove the 5 screws holding the lens mount to the camera, it lifts straight off. I have done it several times (although, not with a lens mounted). See Newarts post HERE. However, I'm not sure being able to get to the back side of the mount is going to make the task any easier.
I've found the following:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/167741-...-solution.html

Basically the same problem as mine. What I'm trying to understand is from above:

QuoteQuote:
3. Carefully pull the mount out. Right under the mount there is a flexible ring with a connector welded to it. Sometimes the ring goes out with the mount.
Does this mean if I separate the flexible ring with connector from the Mount, the Mount /Adapter/Lens will be completely separate from the Camera?

Thanks!
08-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #45
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote

I'm putting in an order for Feeler gauges now!

I'm trying to assess my options if they fail. The idea of taking the lens to pieces is good & if I had any experience of this would probably go for it - real pity it has to be the Takumar! Although I have no experience removing the Mount it seems less daunting to me, was the method chosen by my LCS & has been highlighted here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/167741-...-solution.html

Thanks!