Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Removing the mount from the camera should allow you to access either the spring clip on the adapter or the auto/manual release pin. Either way should allow you to remove either the lens or the adapter.

The only problem I can see is that unless can find a right angle JIS screwdriver you'll be putting the driver in at an angle. This can lead to stripping the heads on the screws. Proceed with caution.

08-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GBNeil Quote
Does this mean if I separate the flexible ring with connector from the Mount, the Mount /Adapter/Lens will be completely separate from the Camera?
Yes it does.

The ring is a thin metal piece, and from my experience removing the mount from my K-r and K-30 bodies, it usually stays put. If it doesn't, gently pull it free from the mount as you are lifting it off the body. Just remember to pull the mount straight off the body, not at an angle.

Removing the mount is a really easy job that takes less than 5 minutes - that is, when you have direct access to the 5 screws securing the mount to the body. Your challenge will be a bit greater with the lens mounted. Personally, I'd try the feeler gauge approach first, mount removal second.
08-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #48
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Removing the mount from the camera should allow you to access either the spring clip on the adapter or the auto/manual release pin. Either way should allow you to remove either the lens or the adapter.

The only problem I can see is that unless can find a right angle JIS screwdriver you'll be putting the driver in at an angle. This can lead to stripping the heads on the screws. Proceed with caution.
Do you know the size of the screw? Is it JIS or Phillips?

Thanks!
08-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #49
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Yes it does.

The ring is a thin metal piece, and from my experience removing the mount from my K-r and K-30 bodies, it usually stays put. If it doesn't, gently pull it free from the mount as you are lifting it off the body. Just remember to pull the mount straight off the body, not at an angle.

Removing the mount is a really easy job that takes less than 5 minutes - that is, when you have direct access to the 5 screws securing the mount to the body. Your challenge will be a bit greater with the lens mounted. Personally, I'd try the feeler gauge approach first, mount removal second.
My take exactly! Gauges have been ordered, so hopefully won't need to go any further

08-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My take exactly! Gauges have been ordered, so hopefully won't need to go any further
I must apologise, as the pin on my lens is covered by the shim, I completely forgot about it, I hope you get it off without any more trouble
08-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #51
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I must apologise, as the pin on my lens is covered by the shim, I completely forgot about it, I hope you get it off without any more trouble
No damage done so far, hopefully

Luckily I never found one of those plastic tin openers - the brute force method is very appealing, especially when panicking

Thanks to you & everyone for stopping the blind panic

I'll keep in touch!
08-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #52
Forum Member

Original Poster
Does anyone know the size & type of screw holding the Mount to the K100DS body pls?

Because the lens is in the way I'm going to need the correct tool, so I might as well prepare myself now.
08-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #53
Site Supporter

Does anyone know the size & type of screw holding the Mount to the K100DS body pls?

Because the lens is in the way I'm going to need the correct tool, so I might as well prepare myself now.
I go on lunch in about an hours time, I'll take a pic of the screwdriver I've used on all my lenses so far, it is a smallish Phillips screwdriver, and should do on the mount screws.

Just one other question, while you're waiting for your gauge, can you see the spring and screw on the adapter at all, as it is now?

08-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #54
Site Supporter

Now I'm more than confused myself. I had a look at my Tak 55/1.8, and the pin that is talked about is the same as the Tak you have, and of the image I found on the web.

Looking at the position of the pin, it does not seem possible that the pin could be stuck in the adapter, reinforcing my original opinion that you should be able to unscrew the lens from the adapter.
EDIT:If it was mine, I'd have gone with a little WD40, taking care to ensure none enters the camera body in any way, and some elbow grease, and unscrew it.

http://www.retrocamera.net/review-of-asahi-super-takumar-135mm35-m42-lens.html

Last edited by altopiet; 08-05-2013 at 03:49 AM.
08-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #55
Site Supporter

K-x with adapter

Last edited by altopiet; 08-05-2013 at 04:54 AM.
08-05-2013, 04:26 AM   #56
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I'm using a 30+ year old set of jeweler's size screwdrivers; the smaller of the two phillips blades. There are no size markings. You can find similar tools in most hardware stores for very little money. The big problem as I see it, is getting to the screw heads with the lens still mounted.

A suggestion? If you don't have a local camera shop that does repairs (I certainly do not), go to a shop that does jewelry repair. They may be able to extract those screws easier than you can.
08-05-2013, 04:31 AM   #57
Site Supporter

How to Fix a Camera Lens Mount That Is Stuck or Broken | eBay

"The steps noted below are for replacing camera lens mounts on most Nikon SLR cameras . The exact process may be slightly different for other camera manufacturers, but the basic construction of lens mounts are very similar from company to company.

Unscrew the three small screws holding the lens mount in place.
Unscrew the five tiny screws on the vertical piece of the lens mount that is sticking out.
Remove the small black inner ring that was just unscrewed.
Gently move the CPU contact plate out of the way and tuck it down inside the lens casing.
Carefully remove the lens mount (the large black outer ring) without disengaging the white wire.
Unscrew the white wire from the broken lens mount and set the mount aside.
Unscrew the tiny mounting bracket on the new lens mount (in order to use old bracket that is still attached to the white wire).
Screw the white wire and the tiny mounting bracket onto the new lens mount.
Insert and properly position the new lens mount.
Gently move the CPU contact plate out of the lens casing and back into its correct position.
Replace and properly position the small black inner ring.
Replace the five tiny screws.
Replace the three small screws.
Test the lens.

Stuck Camera Lens Mounts
Camera lenses that are stuck to cameras because their mounts are not releasing can be a significant problem. Photographers can attempt to adjust the turning of the lens to try to gently work it off while holding down the lens release button/switch, but lens mounts often have to be broken to remove lenses that are stuck.

Because it is possible that a forceful removal of lenses could also damage cameras, it is generally wise to let an experienced camera technician handle the removal of stuck lenses. Both pieces of equipment will need to be examined to determine what caused the problem. It will not do any good to have one lens removed, just to have another one get stuck. If the problem is with the camera, it will require repairs. If the problem is with the lens mount, photographers can attempt to replace it using the instructions noted above, or they can purchase a new lens."
08-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #58
Forum Member

Original Poster
Now I'm more than confused myself. I had a look at my Tak 55/1.8, and the pin that is talked about is the same as the Tak you have, and of the image I found on the web.

Looking at the position of the pin, it does not seem possible that the pin could be stuck in the adapter, reinforcing my original opinion that you should be able to unscrew the lens from the adapter.
EDIT:If it was mine, I'd have gone with a little WD40, taking care to ensure none enters the camera body in any way, and some elbow grease, and unscrew it.

http://www.retrocamera.net/review-of-asahi-super-takumar-135mm35-m42-lens.html
If you have a look at #39 & #40 of this thread, the description (same lens & same movement possible) & photo leaves me will almost no doubt that this is the problem. My adapter is virgin, spring etc intact.

Thanks for your concern though
08-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #59
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I'm using a 30+ year old set of jeweler's size screwdrivers; the smaller of the two phillips blades. There are no size markings. You can find similar tools in most hardware stores for very little money. The big problem as I see it, is getting to the screw heads with the lens still mounted.

A suggestion? If you don't have a local camera shop that does repairs (I certainly do not), go to a shop that does jewelry repair. They may be able to extract those screws easier than you can.
I received this:
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
JIS #0 fits snugly, #00 is little loose but has a skinnier shaft.
I have this set Amazon.com: moody jis: Industrial & Scientific
Also available from micro tools.JIS Type S Driver Set, 4Pc Pollicis
I've found them on Amazon, horrendous price:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JIS-Type-Driver-Set-Pollicis/dp/B004ZQBYRS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_diy_2

but will probably have to get them as unbelievably, there's not much alternative in the UK - JIS seem almost unknown here.

I could use a Phillips 00 or 0 & I'm sure they would be fine if the lens wasn't in the way, but IF nothing else works I really don't have much alternative.
08-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #60
Forum Member

Original Poster
How to Fix a Camera Lens Mount That Is Stuck or Broken | eBay

"The steps noted below are for replacing camera lens mounts on most Nikon SLR cameras . The exact process may be slightly different for other camera manufacturers, but the basic construction of lens mounts are very similar from company to company.

Unscrew the three small screws holding the lens mount in place.
Unscrew the five tiny screws on the vertical piece of the lens mount that is sticking out.
Remove the small black inner ring that was just unscrewed.
Gently move the CPU contact plate out of the way and tuck it down inside the lens casing.
Carefully remove the lens mount (the large black outer ring) without disengaging the white wire.
Unscrew the white wire from the broken lens mount and set the mount aside.
Unscrew the tiny mounting bracket on the new lens mount (in order to use old bracket that is still attached to the white wire).
Screw the white wire and the tiny mounting bracket onto the new lens mount.
Insert and properly position the new lens mount.
Gently move the CPU contact plate out of the lens casing and back into its correct position.
Replace and properly position the small black inner ring.
Replace the five tiny screws.
Replace the three small screws.
Test the lens.

Stuck Camera Lens Mounts
Camera lenses that are stuck to cameras because their mounts are not releasing can be a significant problem. Photographers can attempt to adjust the turning of the lens to try to gently work it off while holding down the lens release button/switch, but lens mounts often have to be broken to remove lenses that are stuck.

Because it is possible that a forceful removal of lenses could also damage cameras, it is generally wise to let an experienced camera technician handle the removal of stuck lenses. Both pieces of equipment will need to be examined to determine what caused the problem. It will not do any good to have one lens removed, just to have another one get stuck. If the problem is with the camera, it will require repairs. If the problem is with the lens mount, photographers can attempt to replace it using the instructions noted above, or they can purchase a new lens."
Thanks again for that Christo. I've found https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/167741-...-solution.html
which I plan to use if it gets that far