Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

M42 Help Pls!

So my generic M42 adapter (Neewer) arrived yesterday. I'd read that attaching it to the lens first was a good idea, so I tried it on a Helios 58 44-M 4. It fitted nicely so I tried both on my K100DS - also fine. I removed it and tried again, no problem. After a short shoot with the combo I removed the lens. Of course at this point I was elated at how simple the whole process appears, so emboldened I did the same with my SMC TAKUMAR 135 F3.5. My euphoria at the brilliant results with the TAK turned immediately to horror when I realised that the lens & adapter are both turning in the mount, but not releasing from the camera - Panic I have not used the lens before but I note that the Auto ring below the Aperture ring is stuck in the Auto position. The adapter seems firmly screwed into the lens and both turn in the camera mount.

I'm really hoping someone may be able to help before I consider removing the mount from the camera or going to the camera shop.

HELP pretty please!

08-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you trying to get the lens off by using the lens release button?
08-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Are you trying to get the lens off by using the lens release button?
Yes I've engaged the lens release. It seems to make no difference now, the assembly of lens & adapter move anti clockwise and then clockwise with or without the lens release button pressed or not.
08-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

So, if I understand you correctly, the lens is tightly screwed into the adaptor, no movement there? The front of the adapter should be flush with the outside of the camera mount if engaged correctly when you put on the lens the first time... is it still flush? If so, then it is supposed to be locked into place into the mount and you should either be able to use the lens release button to remove the lens with the adapter attached, or without using the lens release button, by simply unscrewing the M42 mount. Even if screwed on tightly, you should be able to unscrew it although with a little effort. The fact that everything is turning around, seems as if the adapter was not correctly engaged the first time, not locking into place properly. Try either pushing or pulling while turning the lens, anti clockwise, forcing the adapter to lock onto something. If you can turn the lens out of the adapter, you should be able to see the mounts properly and identify the problem.

08-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Can you take a pic with your mobile or something and post it?
08-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #6

use the lens release button to remove the lens with the adapter attached
I want to correct this. It's not possible to remove the lens adaptor using the lens release button. One can only remove the lens adaptor after first removing the m42-lens.
08-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phii Mii Quote
I want to correct this. It's not possible to remove the lens adaptor using the lens release button. One can only remove the lens adaptor after first removing the m42-lens.
Sorry sir, I do it all the time, you just have to remove the screw and lock spring from the adapter, and I think that is what the OP might have done

Last edited by altopiet; 08-03-2013 at 01:29 AM.
08-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/117168-attachi...ntly-lens.html
08-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
the lens is tightly screwed into the adaptor, no movement there?
- Right

The front of the adapter should be flush with the outside of the camera mount if engaged correctly when you put on the lens the first time... is it still flush?
- I think the adapter was flush with the camera mount, certainly enough to get well focused photos up to & including infinity. It is no longer flush: the lens & adapter assembly can rotate anti clockwise & back, with or without depressing the lens release. Also there is now play between the assembly & mount, not much but it is no longer flush.

The fact that everything is turning around, seems as if the adapter was not correctly engaged the first time, not locking into place properly.
- Possibly

Try either pushing or pulling while turning the lens, anti clockwise, forcing the adapter to lock onto something
- I have been trying this but am concerned about how much effort to exert. I can't afford to kill the camera or lens

If you can turn the lens out of the adapter, you should be able to see the mounts properly and identify the problem
- Because the lens/adapter move & aren't flush I'm having difficulties getting the lens off the adapter - Just not sure how much force I can use.

I'll try and get some photos.

Thanks fot the hand holding!
08-03-2013, 01:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

No problem, and although I can not guarantee it, the camera mount is quite strong, I had my various strong arm fights to get M42 adapted lenses from the mount. If you get the adapter to grip while pulling the lens and turning anti clock wise, just increase the pressure gradually, until the adapter releases from the screw mount of the lens, no sudden forceful yanking or pulling, gradual increase of pressure is the key, almost like unscrewing that jam bottle that the missus usually bring to you to open
08-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

O, and before doing it, it does help to say a little prayer
08-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #12

Sorry sir, I do it all the time, you just have to remove the screw and lock spring from the adapter, and I think that is what the OP might have done
Ahaa, that could very well be the case. I thought he used the adaptor as it was ment to be used I have about ten m42-takumars and never had any problems when I use them. But I only change lenses like in the old Spotmatic time

Anyway, good luck GBNeil. I hope you'll be able to remove the lens and adaptor.
08-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GBNeil Quote
I'll try and get some photos.
Can you link us to an image of the adapter?
08-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Btw, I think people often have problems with off-brand m42 adapters, so feel free to search this forum for threads on it and maybe you will find a solution. Its most important to stay calm, because panic can do more damage than a faulty adapter
08-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Its most important to stay calm, because panic can do more damage than a faulty adapter
+1 on that!