Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
HDR Efex or Photomatrix for a complete novice

I see there have been some threads regarding the pros and cons of the HDR Efex and Photomatrix. But for a first timer is there one that would be considered a preference? I do like the fact that Photomatix Pro is a stand alone but I have LR5 and CS4 Which I am updating to CS6. That being said does the HDR Efex pulg in with LR5? Any feedback would be welcomed. I think my best bet will be to download a free trial and go from there but again any one who has used these and could give me a few pointers would be highly appreciated. Thank you again for your time as always.

Best Regards,
Wendy

08-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I think you can do a free 30 day trial for both. I like both but if I have to choose one, I'd pick the Photomatix mainly for personal preference.

Have fun!

EDIT - D'oh I see that you already know about the free trial. I need to read the whole post don't I?
Have you looked at sample pics from both? Others here may disagree but they kinda have their own flavors. Both allow you to modify effects strength,
black levels etc. I typically finish off HDR back in LR so I guess either program would work but that's just me.

Last edited by Sage97; 08-04-2013 at 07:53 AM.
08-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for the quick response! That may be my best bet. I know ghosting has been mentioned as one of the downfalls I believe for HDR Efex?
08-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Re-read my previous post. I did a quick edit.

In my experience, ghosting is typically user error. if you just make sure you don't move the camera as it is taking the 2nd or 3rd pic, then ghosting isn't a big problem.

You could also try a pseudo HDR. Take 1 pic that is a bit underexposed and allow either program to do its magic.

08-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you again for your help and a single shot would make it an easier start.
08-04-2013, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Be sure to post some sample pics when you're ready.

Now that I've done my one good deed for the day, I'm off to my wicked ways!
08-04-2013, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macrogrl06 Quote
Thank you for the quick response! That may be my best bet. I know ghosting has been mentioned as one of the downfalls I believe for HDR Efex?
This a plus for HDR effex actually because you can also use photoshop to merge the images into a 32bit file and HDR effex makes it into 16 bit. So you've several options.