Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colchester, UK
Posts: 76
K100DS Mount

Just a quickie folks

Who knows the size & type of screw retaining the Mount to the K100DS body pls?

I know the question sounds pretty anal, but I've good reason for being so pedantic

A lovely old Takumar lens + M42 adapter are stuck on the mount ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/233327-m42-help-pls.html ). I'm hoping to get the assembly off with feeler gauges I've ordered. Not being entirely optimistic I thought I'd order the right screwdriver now to save time. There is almost no room between the lens & the mount screws, so I probably need a long, precision screwdriver - but what exactly? The cheapo watchmaker sets are probably not up to it?

Thanks!


Last edited by GBNeil; 08-05-2013 at 05:04 AM.
08-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,065
JIS #0 fits snugly, #00 is little loose but has a skinnier shaft.
I have this set Amazon.com: moody jis: Industrial & Scientific
Also available from micro tools.http://www.micro-tools.com/store/P-58-0405/Jis-Type-S-Driver-Set-4pc-Pollicis.aspx

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 08-05-2013 at 03:39 AM.
08-05-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colchester, UK
Posts: 76
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
JIS #0 fits snugly, #00 is little loose but has a skinnier shaft.
I have this set Amazon.com: moody jis: Industrial & Scientific
Also available from micro tools.JIS Type S Driver Set, 4Pc Pollicis
Thanks so much! They seem almost unknown / unobtainable in the UK & correspondingly expensive.

Prolly the reason I've screwed so many screw threads

I will put in an order in this case though!
08-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 859
The Tak should just unscrew from the adapter, leaving the adapter in the mount.

Some non-Pentax adapters have a small spring you need to operate (it's designed to stop the adapter rotating in the mount) in order to release it; this type should come with an unlocking 'key'.

08-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,231
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
this type should come with an unlocking 'key'.
...except that sometimes they don't. That is the OP's problem. I had a stuck cheap adapter once and once was enough. As noted above, JIS is the appropriate screwdriver type. I got mine from Micro Tools.


Steve
08-05-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London
Posts: 859
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...except that sometimes they don't. That is the OP's problem. I had a stuck cheap adapter once and once was enough. As noted above, JIS is the appropriate screwdriver type. I got mine from Micro Tools.


Steve
Even without the key, I've never failed to remove an M42 adapter from a mount. There should be no need, under any circumstances, to remove the mount itself from the body in order to release the adapter.
08-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colchester, UK
Posts: 76
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Even without the key, I've never failed to remove an M42 adapter from a mount. There should be no need, under any circumstances, to remove the mount itself from the body in order to release the adapter.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the lens & adapter are both stuck in the mount. It seems that the auto/manual lock pin is probably the culprit. I'm waiting on feeler gauges, hopefully that'll get things moving without more drastic surgery. Cheers
08-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,231
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Even without the key, I've never failed to remove an M42 adapter from a mount.
There is a first time for everything...

IMHO, unless the box says Pentax or SRB Giturn, the most prudent action is to remove the retaining spring. Do a little research on this site and you will find plenty of material on stuck adapters including a few where resolution required use of a Dremel rotary cutter.


Steve


...once spent 3+ hours trying to remove a brand new adapter that stuck on its first mount to camera...finally succeeded...sent back for refund...lesson learned...


Last edited by stevebrot; 08-06-2013 at 07:13 AM.
08-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,231
QuoteOriginally posted by GBNeil Quote
Unfortunately the lens & adapter are both stuck in the mount.
This sounds strange since most (all?) Takumars have a smooth mount face and any pins are inboard of the mount itself. Translation? There is nothing to catch on. Now if you attempted to adapt a T-mount lens (42mm diameter, but different thread pitch) or one of several non-Pentax lenses that have counter-sunk screw heads on the mount face, that would be a different story.

Anyway...good luck with getting both lens and adapter removed from your camera.


Steve
08-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,231
QuoteOriginally posted by GBNeil Quote
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the lens & adapter are both stuck in the mount. It seems that the auto/manual lock pin is probably the culprit. I'm waiting on feeler gauges, hopefully that'll get things moving without more drastic surgery. Cheers
Just finished reading your other post and the suggestions for getting the lens off. The people on the other post are correct. You likely have a SMC/S-M-C Takumar with the tiny a/m coupler pin. The key was your statement that the Auto/Manual slider was stuck in one place. This happens when the pin is not depressed. A long time ago, I read about this problem, but had forgotten about it. Good luck with the feeler guage. You might want to consider the SRB Giturn adapter at some point. The price is competitive and they are made in the U.K.


Steve
08-08-2013, 04:03 AM   #11
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colchester, UK
Posts: 76
Original Poster
I've spent about 3 hours so far with the feeler gauges - will keep at it

Has anyone experience removing a K D Mount with lens attached please?
08-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Dartmoor Dave's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dartmoor, UK
Photos: Albums
Posts: 760
If you strike out with the feeler gauges, I can't see any other way than to try to dismantle the lens while it's still attached to the camera. The instructions posted here suggest that it might just be possible with your Takumar 135mm: Favorite Classics / Pentax Super Takumar f/3.5 135mm

It's a non-destructive process, so you should be able to reassemble the lens afterwards and have everything working fine again.
08-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,074
Everybody is holding their breath.
I see from the photo on your other thread that the body mount screws might be accessible.
If not enough clearance for the shaft of the screwdriver to be nearly vertical, I would heat the ends of 2 jis screwdrivers in oxy actylene flame and bend just the tips to an angle to just clear the lens, one with the cross vertical to the bend and one at 45 degrees.

I have removed the mount from a dead ist ds (below) which is probably similar. The drama (as i recall) would be the gold balls and springs coming out, but I think you could put them back.
Good Luck!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
08-08-2013, 08:07 AM   #14
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colchester, UK
Posts: 76
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
If you strike out with the feeler gauges, I can't see any other way than to try to dismantle the lens while it's still attached to the camera. The instructions posted here suggest that it might just be possible with your Takumar 135mm: Favorite Classics / Pentax Super Takumar f/3.5 135mm

It's a non-destructive process, so you should be able to reassemble the lens afterwards and have everything working fine again.
Thanks. It is indeed an option. Found a lot of useful info:

https://sites.google.com/site/davidimagephotography/asahisuper-takumar200mmf4
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/maintenance-repair-articles/179884-pentax...ml#post1878155
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/maintenance-repair-articles/217082-takuma...egreasing.html

Reading these strikes me with fear & trepidation

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Everybody is holding their breath.
I see from the photo on your other thread that the body mount screws might be accessible.
If not enough clearance for the shaft of the screwdriver to be nearly vertical, I would heat the ends of 2 jis screwdrivers in oxy actylene flame and bend just the tips to an angle to just clear the lens, one with the cross vertical to the bend and one at 45 degrees.

I have removed the mount from a dead ist ds (below) which is probably similar. The drama (as i recall) would be the gold balls and springs coming out, but I think you could put them back.
Good Luck!
Oh dear, this doesn't sound like the 5 minute job I read about elsewhere.

Of course the other option that just occurred to me :

For Sale: Low Usage Pentax K100D Super with lovely Takumar SMC 135mm F3.5 & generic M42 Adapter

Need to do something else for a bit - massive headache now.

Thanks again for all the help - I'll keep at it with the feeler gauges (later)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k100ds, lens, mount, pentax help, screwdriver
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Achiever 260AF P-TTL Flash on K100DS k0og Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 5 03-24-2012 06:48 AM
K100DS misbehaving MrA Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 10-20-2011 03:17 AM
Pentax K100DS Lenses? LegOverHead Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 10-05-2011 10:24 AM
Super Genius experiment: Ricoh lens stuck on K100DS aseno Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 04-11-2010 08:34 PM
Nikon mount Vivitar on K100DS tdmsu Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 04-11-2008 10:51 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top