Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
k-30 Battery won't take a charge?

My k-30 (which I love) is still pretty new. Like, I think this is the second time I've charged the battery. I put the batter in the charger, the little light turns green, then I go to bed. In the morning, the light is off, so I assume it's fully charged. But when I put the battery in the camera, it comes up with the little red low batter signal. Assuming the problem is me, I repeat the process, this time making sure I put the camera into the charger properly. Same result.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Is it the battery? The charger? Should I just get a AA adaptor?

08-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you have or know someone with a voltage meter (about $10 at Walmart) you could check the battery after you've charged it to see if it has juice. That might tell you if it's the camera or the battery. Depending on how much you use your camera, you may want a second Li battery for extended photo shoots, so getting another or the AA adaptor is a good idea anyway.

Hopfully it's not the camera though
08-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Everyone should have at least one extra battery anyway so I'd say replace the battery and see how the camera works. Amazon has some 3rd party replacement Li batteries for quite reasonable prices that actually last longer than the Pentax branded ones.

That said, the original battery should last a LOT longer than that. It is possible the problem is in the charger rather than the battery. If you buy a replacement, you might want to look at the battery+charger combos. The one I got has a much better charger than the one Pentax supplied.

Amazon.com: pentax k-30 battery
08-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks to both of you. I took your advice abmj and picked up an extra batter kit from Amazon. I was happy to read in the reviews (and from you) that these are better batteries than what Pentax provides. I guess I'm stuck using my iPhone camera until the box arrives from Amazon, and I too hope it's not the camera (although that would surprise me.)

08-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
contact Pentax. If that battery is as new as you describe, they should replace it. Other posters are also correct; you should always have alternate power anyhow.
08-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #6

I had a similar issue with my K30 so it's on its way back to Hunt's. My camera was working fine until I demoed the great features of my new camera when the thing failed to start-up. I was pretty embarrassed and a little surprised because my K100D never failed me. The issue got worse as the camera would not turn on after going in to standby.
After running several tests with different combinations of SD cards/lenses, I concluded that the camera or battery was at fault.

BTW, you should look in to the extended warranty. At $20 it's good insurance.