Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #1

Pentax SP II - Help with some issues

So, it's my first real thread here after introducing myself. I have some questions and I'd like to get some help with my camera too. The thing is, I have an SP II and the 50mm takumar lens were dirty with mold. Besides that, some mecanisms weren't working well (the curtain wouldn't open sometimes at certain shutter speeds - 125, 250 - or would open but remain that way). Anyway, it all seems to be fixed now except some details... so my questions are:

- Even after getting the main problems fixed, the timer still doesn't seem to work. The small lever is kind of loose. I bring it down and press the little button, as the manual says, but nothing happens. Should I insist and try to fix that?

- The light meter is not working. The guy who fixed my camera couldn't find a battery and he told me I could search the local stores for an equivalent silver oxyde one, but I don't seem to find it. So, I'm taking pictures only with my good sense and the old sunny 16 rule. So, I'd really appreciate some hints on that matter, specially because I'm not sure if the light meter will work even if I find a battery, so I might be stuck in full manual operations for a while.

- Finally, any hints, articles and ideas for a new photographer will be welcome.

Thank you for your support.

08-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Can't help you with your SP II...

And even though it seems you do understand exposure quite well, a lot of people recommend the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

A book I think everyone can learn something from is "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman. I haven't gotten to "The Photographer's Mind" yet, but it's on my list.

Good luck with your SP!
08-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Get in touch with Eric Hendrickson @ pentaxs.com. The older SPII's generally need to be reconditioned prior to any useful afterlife. He's actually cleaned a 500mm zoom for me with excellent results. For batteries, try this link: Camera Batteries - a complete chart - Photoethnography.com's Classic Camera DB
08-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys, specially for the link about batteries, really useful. The books too, I'll look up for them, they seem interesting. If you could give me more information about SP II's I'd really appreciate. Specially from people who already used these model and could give me some hints.

08-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you are privileged to own one of these gems of a camera, your journey is not complete without a copy of Herbert Keppler's "The Honeywell Pentax Way". I have the 5th edition, but anything between '72 and '74 would be a great find.