Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been pleasantly surprised at how nice images with the M50 f2 can be. I'll have to dig mine out this weekend now that everything is in bloom.

08-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
This might come in handy. You can set the aperture and prefocus the lens and everything within a specified depth of field will already be in focus.

Online Depth of Field Calculator

Granted, that's a lot handier with a wider lens (at 24-28mm you can set to f8 or f11 and focus about 12 feet out and everything from about 5 feet to infiinity will be in focus), but it's still handy to know.
Wished I had seen this post this when I was at the aquarium though I kind of do this for some of the exhibits and waited for the subject to come through.
This is still handy for the future. Thank you.

With all the tips, this time it was a lot more successful than my last. Thank you all. I'll try post some later this week.
08-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here are some photos taking account of all the advices. 1st one is with a kit lens & rubber hood and the other 2 shots are with the manual 50mm lens also with a rubber hood. (Though 2nd one didn't matter since I wasn't right up against the glass.) Really do like the sharpness of the primes. There are more photos on my flickr account. Thank you again for the tips.

08-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Your pictures are not displayed in the Forum (at least not in Chrome). The above quote shows what you thought you embedded. What you actually embedded were links to your Flickr account, and not just pictures, as shown below from the email I received of this post. Because the links were not of a single photo, the Forum couldn't display them.

All sizes | Piranha | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Emerald Tree Boa | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Lionfish | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This seems to be a fairly regular problem when folks embed from Flickr.

08-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Your pictures are not displayed in the Forum (at least not in Chrome). The above quote shows what you thought you embedded. What you actually embedded were links to your Flickr account, and not just pictures, as shown below from the email I received of this post. Because the links were not of a single photo, the Forum couldn't display them.

All sizes | Piranha | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Emerald Tree Boa | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
All sizes | Lionfish | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This seems to be a fairly regular problem when folks embed from Flickr.
Saw that and should be fixed now.
08-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Genobreaker Quote
Here are some photos taking account of all the advices. 1st one is with a kit lens & rubber hood and the other 2 shots are with the manual 50mm lens also with a rubber hood. (Though 2nd one didn't matter since I wasn't right up against the glass.) Really do like the sharpness of the primes. There are more photos on my flickr account. Thank you again for the tips.

Well done! Excellent shots with that humble prime - yet another proof how superior they are!

Thx for sharing!
08-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Very nice shots! I just picked up a couple of rubber hoods myself. I'll definitely give them a try next time I visit the aquarium.

08-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Congratulations. Primes are like Lays potato chips though......just saying.
Oh that is so true, 1 week after getting my first ever 50mm manual prime, I have ordered a 28mm as well
08-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Primes - counter opinion

Okay, primes are great and older manual focus can be fun. I still have my KA-50/1.7 and KA-28/2.8 from my film days .... but you know, they aren't pulled out of my bag as much as all the ballyhoo would lead me to think they would. My F35-70 and my DA 18-135 see far more use, even if I am focusing them manually. Both of these zooms have sweet spots that give me as much pleasure in the results as my primes would for the same scene. I know that compared to many here, I'm just a mediocre photographer, but I just don't see the same level of ooh and aww just because the lens had a single focal length. A scene really has to play to the specific strengths of a specific lens for me to credit the lens as much as the photographer's skills in general.

Sorry for hijacking the thread - back to the subject at hand.

I'm hoping to visit the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago for the first time in late October. For any who have worn their groove in the floor before me, what should I be prepared for photographically?
08-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you manntax and narual! The rubber hood was handy in several places. Though there were some ironic moments where I put the hood up against the glass and the fish freaked out and ran away while it didn't care when a kid comes and smacks the glass repeatedly.

I'm hoping to visit the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago for the first time in late October. For any who have worn their groove in the floor before me, what should I be prepared for photographically?
As in what to shoot? I would say Beluga Whales or any of the fish in the Wild Reef exhibit. That exhibit has a variety of fish thats fun to take photos of and also the sharks/rays/guitarfish are pretty coo. The Sawfish also in the Wild Reef exhibit might be interesting if it decides to show itself too.
08-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Genobreaker Quote
Thank you manntax and narual! The rubber hood was handy in several places. Though there were some ironic moments where I put the hood up against the glass and the fish freaked out and ran away while it didn't care when a kid comes and smacks the glass repeatedly.

As in what to shoot? I would say Beluga Whales or any of the fish in the Wild Reef exhibit. That exhibit has a variety of fish thats fun to take photos of and also the sharks/rays/guitarfish are pretty coo. The Sawfish also in the Wild Reef exhibit might be interesting if it decides to show itself too.
Thanks for the info!
08-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Okay, primes are great and older manual focus can be fun. I still have my KA-50/1.7 and KA-28/2.8 from my film days .... but you know, they aren't pulled out of my bag as much as all the ballyhoo would lead me to think they would. My F35-70 and my DA 18-135 see far more use, even if I am focusing them manually. Both of these zooms have sweet spots that give me as much pleasure in the results as my primes would for the same scene. I know that compared to many here, I'm just a mediocre photographer, but I just don't see the same level of ooh and aww just because the lens had a single focal length. A scene really has to play to the specific strengths of a specific lens for me to credit the lens as much as the photographer's skills in general.
Zooms are convenient. And yes, good enough. I suspect if I had purchased the 18-135 instead of the 50-135 I'd probably have it on my camera 90% of the time and damn the lower image quality. I used my 18-200 90% of the time on my nikon, too. But a good prime is going to take a better photo than a good zoom at a given focal length, and so many very nice prime lenses are so very cheap that it can't hurt to aquire a few. Put the 28/2.8 on your camera and go out for a day of shooting. I did with a $5 off-brand one when I was on vacation and got some pretty good photos. (which was good, because the damned lens release button popped off my K5 and I didn't know that I could use a paperclip to change lenss without it til that evening)