Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #1

Newbie / info regarding older lens mounts

Hi. First proper post here (beyond my intro).

Am a student of architecture, so whilst interested in photography, its always going to be on a budget. Got myself a bargain K100D Super + 18-55, and am just reviewing the situation regards 'older' lenses etc. Not something I know much about, yet...

Obviously, the Pentax K mount goes way back, and most of those lenses can work with the K100D, albeit on manual focus. That's not a problem for me, buildings have a tendency to stay still

I will probably get a new wide angle lens once budget allows, but I do other, more creative work, and its for this that I'm interested in building up a small selection of fairly cheap lenses, to mess around with. Primes, perhaps a zoom, etc. Noting that in addition to K mount lenses, there are a lot of M42 lenses on ebay.

Presumably the crop factor means that, whilst lens length is multiplied, you are working with the 'middle' of the lens - the least distorted portion - so image quality is fairly good (?).

So about the older "M42" lenses and such: Firstly, I can't seem to find a price anywhere for this "genuine" Pentax-made m42 to K adaptor (noting warnings everywhere about using imitation adaptors!) - can anyone recommend a stockist?

Also - logically - I've been looking around the internet for sites with reviews of older lenses, seems a bit hit and miss. Does anyone have any websites they'd recommend for such things?

Also, I read things about Praktica lenses being (possibly) the same thing as M42 - they seem to go for quite reasonable amounts on ebay.

Generally, I'd be interested to hear what people recommend.

A.

03-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrA Quote
Also - logically - I've been looking around the internet for sites with reviews of older lenses, seems a bit hit and miss. Does anyone have any websites they'd recommend for such things?
try our forum and database
Pentax Lens Review Database - Main Index

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - Main Index

QuoteQuote:
Also, I read things about Praktica lenses being (possibly) the same thing as M42 - they seem to go for quite reasonable amounts on ebay.
some are
QuoteQuote:

A.
Good luck with your search and welcom to the forum.

In general, people here will help you out. Check our pentax database, which is very fgood.

the third party database is just new, and not many people have posted reviews yet. That hopefully will change.

People have posted good comments in the lens forums about the thrid party lenses, I only hope they will carry this into the reviews.
03-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #3
MrA

Original Poster
Many thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
QuoteQuote:
some are
I'd be much obliged if someone could advise how one tells the difference. I can find various references to "Praktica B" (presumably implying the existance of a Praktica A), but that is about all.
03-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you want to get serious with old manual lens, I would suggest mflenses.com or manualfocus.org. Both are very helpful. mflenses.com has a very extensive price guide for older lens, good review section, tons of picture galleries, and very knowledgable members. For lens mount conversion, manualfocus.org offers tremendous insight.

Back to your questions:

1. The official adapter cost around $40-$50 now. You can go on ebay, search for genuine pentax adapter. Personally, I don't recommend any third party adapter (though some may say otherwise).

2. Check out the two websites above.

3. Praktica has two mount variants: M42 and B-bayonet. Make sure you get the right one.

Now to my personal recommendation. For M42, i would suggest to go with either Carl Zeiss or old Pentax Takumar. For architectural purpose, Carl Zeiss offers the Flektogon 20/4 and 20/2.8. They are among the best wide angle lenses at controlling distortion. Of course, they don't come that cheap. Below 18mm rectilinear, I don't think you will find a reasonably priced old M42 lenses (since they're rare, few and far between). Fish-eye might be your alternative like the Zenitar 16 or Peleng 8.

Luck and seller's ignorance have a major role in getting good deal on old lenses. So if you can spend time to scout around old camera stores, you might score some bargain. Good luck.

03-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
[QUOTE=MrA;201514
Presumably the crop factor means that, whilst lens length is multiplied, you are working with the 'middle' of the lens - the least distorted portion - so image quality is fairly good (?).

A.[/QUOTE]

If you choose carefully you will find old glass as good as or better than anything made today. Here are a few sites to look at:
Stan's Pentax Photography
M42 is a site dedicated to M42 adaptator lenses. You will find here tests, from argentic to numeric cameras and oldest to newest M42 lenses. Members described their work and the used lens. Oldies, but goldies!
www.m-fortytwo.info - site entry page
Pentax Lens Gallery
Some of my personal favorites are M 28mm f 3.5, A 50mm f1.7, M100mm f2.8, M or A 200mm f4

Regards,

Ken
03-22-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Some of my personal favorites are M 28mm f 3.5, A 50mm f1.7, M100mm f2.8, M or A 200mm f4

Regards,

Ken
For a lens that cost me less than $110 new, I was blown away by the M 28/3.5. Almost no distortion, little vignetting, a sweetheart of a lens. I still own it, technically, but my daughter in law has possession.
03-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #7

M42 lenses

These genuine Pentax M42/K-mount adapters are still easely available here in Belgium.
I paid € 21 or about 16.50 GBP at a local photo shop two weeks ago.

If you're still looking for some nice vintage M42 lenses:

I'm currently rationalising my collection. Maybe one of these might interest you?

Pentax-brand
smc Takumar 28mm F3.5 + case + 2 caps+ shade ( 49)
smc Takumar 35mm F3.5 + front cap (SALE PENDING)
smc Takumar 135mm F2.5 + case + 2 caps
smc Takumar 150mm F4 + 2 caps (SALE PENDING)
Third party
IFOCO Auto 28mm F2.8 + 2 caps ( 55)

Have a look at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographer-s-marketplace/22754-spring-c...-k-mounts.html in the The Photographer's Marketplace of this GREAT forum!

Last edited by frederik9111; 03-22-2008 at 03:52 PM.
03-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You might also want to consider Russian optics for your budget M42 setup. They are notoriously sharp, but bokeh is lacking. They are very good for architecture, however.

Since, until recently, I'd been heavily relying on M42 lenses, I can warmly recommend Zeiss and Takumar, as well as KMZ-made lenses (Russian. Don't go near ones made by BelOMO!!)
Pentacon-branded glass is good, but gives me an overall feeling of "meh".

Happy shooting and best of luck!