Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter

What the heck? K-r uncontrolable shutter, Video inside

When i hook this lens up to my K-r it starts acting really strange.

Any button you push on the camera activates the shutter, of-course when the shutter isn't firing completely randomly that is. Its not actually taking pictures though...

The lens is a SMC Pentax-FA 80-320, F4.5

I have used it in the past and it has worked fine. I got it out today to play around a little bit and my camera wigs out when its attached. The camera acts completely fine with other lenses...

Here is the video.

08-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Is this with the Li-Ion battery? It might be going bad, the K-r doesn't like voltage drops.
08-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, its doing it with both batteries I have though they are both about the same age. Maybe ill try with some AA's

I cant make it happen on any other lens. But the one its happening with has a really long focus, maybe running the focusing motor so hard is causing a voltage drop?
08-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had the exact same problem with my K-r a week after I bought it, though I only had the kit lens at the time. It worked fine for a few hundred shots, but then it started seeming to fire twice when I took a picture. After a few more days, it started acting exactly like your camera: every button you pressed or switch you flipped made the mirror/shutter spaz out, even if no lens was connected. It could not take any pictures.

I sent it to C.R.I.S. for warranty repair, and they replaced the aperture control unit. I've taken almost 40,000 pictures on it since then, and the problem never returned.

08-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hmm. How long is the warranty on these things?

Last edited by dmbaile2; 08-07-2013 at 06:00 PM.
08-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dmbaile2 Quote
Hmm. How long is the warranty on these things?
1 year unless you bought the extended, which ups it to 3 years.
08-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Whelp.. Does anyone have any instructions on how i can fix this myself or am i just SOL... I have found that this is a problem in K-r's and K-5's. Are there any Pentax models that have a better reliability track record?
08-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Did you try the AA batteries?

08-07-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmbaile2 Quote
Whelp.. Does anyone have any instructions on how i can fix this myself or am i just SOL... I have found that this is a problem in K-r's and K-5's. Are there any Pentax models that have a better reliability track record?
I'm seriously doubt you could do it yourself. The aperture control unit is a pretty intimate part of the camera. When I use that tool to check when my camera was manufactured, it says August of 2011. I bought it in June of 2011. It was repaired in August. The repair was extensive enough that it made the camera think it was new again.

When I was researching my problem, I primarily found people complaining of the issue on K-5's. I believe the popular term for the issue is "mirror flop."

Pentax cameras actually do have a very good track record. You and me, we're just the unlucky few. Some products will fail unexpectedly. It always happens, no matter who makes it.

Sorry this is happening to you, though. I hope I'm wrong, and it's just your batteries, or something weird with that one lens.
08-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't have the AA battery caddies with me so I wont be able to test it with them until next week when I get home. This is kind of a bummer but at least i have a back up K100D if i really need it. I'll have to dig up my sales receipt, for all i know it could still be under warranty. Fingers crossed.
08-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
UPDATE:

After one night of testing I can not get the problem to occur on NIMH AA rechargeable batteries... That's fairly encouraging since i can reproduce the problem immediately with the Li-ion packs... I don't see any reason not to switch to AA's anyway. Thanks everyone!