Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Not a Number excellent information the lens is a T4 with the M42 Adapter. I find this very interesting and did not know there even was such a beast. Yes it does let the old Honeywell focus to infinity. Folks I appreciate the quality information and your time. I thought it was odd that this Vivitar lens came set up this way, I don't know how odd or even if many lenses like these were produced. It would seem that if there were lenses on the market like this they would do as they do now and produce them for the specific camera mount. Certainly the production of the older lenses was Very costly and it would be a less expensive route to build them for the Camera ?

08-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Well you should be able to use it with an M42 to K-mount adapter. If you get a third party one it is probably best to remove the spring clip to prevent jams. You might be able to find a T4/TX to K-mount adapter but they are probably extremely rare.

I think part of the idea of having interchangeable mounts was that a camera retailer would not have to worry about having expensive unpopular mounts sitting in inventory. And the buyers not having to worry about whether or not their mount was in stock.
08-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks again Not a Number I do have a couple Pentax adapters but I also have more glass than I can carry. Going to a Ball Game in Houston with my daughter on Saturday going to see how my Sigma 150-500 works on the K5, I expect good results because I will have plenty of ambient light as the game starts at 6:05. I'm going to try to hand hold for the shots maybe get a monopod in. Have a great evening and thanks to everyone for the good info but most of all your time. Bob
08-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Hard to tell but I think that looks like a Canon mount too. The pin is used with M42 lenses to stop down the aperture, it does nothing with bayonet lenses, I've had to disable them on a couple of my M42 lenses because the aperture would stay wide open until the pin was disabled.

I'm also wondering about something else though...I have a Vivitar 200mm lens with a mount very similar tot he Tamron Adaptall mount. This lens has a M42 adapter on it, I've been dying to get my hands on a K mount version but the only ones I've seen have been for Minolta and Nikon. The peice that fits inside the lens has a similar arrow for lining it up, and the tab on the outside with the notches clicks into a spring loaded pin in the lens to hold it in place once tightened. The outside of the lens section has a push pin that releases it. I don't have any pictures of it and it's not easy to describe...maybe I need to set it up and use the 50mm to get some shots, this might be a M42 mount for the same lens I have, that mount was used on a lot of different lenses, you just use the adapter you need for your camera. I also have a Vivitar 300mm with the same mount, the adapter fits both, but the 300mm has a problem and won't focus right, I think a lens element is cocked sideways.

08-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
That appears to be a Canon FD mount, but could be TX/T4.
I would bet on T4. A TX adapter looks nearly identical but they are engraved with a TX on the lens side so they don't get mixed up. The side of the adapter that mounts on the ES will be stamped with a letter code, probably PX but possibly ES too. The PX adapter is basic M42, the ES is set up for open aperture metering with the ES. The PX adapter has to be modified for use on a DSLR - it has am M-A switch that doesn't stay in M.

The lens itself has a big rectangular block close to the mount with L <-> O engraved on it and a stamped chrome tab. It has a serial number starting in 37, indicating it was made by Tokina. It is probably decent but not very flare resistant.
08-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I believe it was first used on Contax and a bit later by Praktica before being picked up by Asahi.
Basically correct. When I was first learning photography (late 1960s) M42 was referred to as Praktica/Pentax (note order of names) or Universal Screw Mount.

Steve
08-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marquis1955 Quote
I thought it was odd that this Vivitar lens came set up this way, I don't know how odd or even if many lenses like these were produced. It would seem that if there were lenses on the market like this they would do as they do now and produce them for the specific camera mount. Certainly the production of the older lenses was Very costly and it would be a less expensive route to build them for the Camera ?
Not odd at all. Interchangeable mounts were common at one time and many third party lens makers (Tamron, Vivitar, Soligor, Sigma and others) supported that feature for many of their models. As for cost...It is hard to explain, but a third-party maker will design a lens (say a 135mm, f/2.8) to the longest registration distance distance of bodies they aim to support. Support for shorter registration is done by making the mount section thicker as needed. Building a lens to support interchangeable mounts is not a whole lot different, though there may be significant challenge in providing automatic aperture actuation. Interchangeable mounts were a real boon to the camera shops since they only had to stock one version of the lens. The mounts were sold as a required accessory.

I have two Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses to fit four mount systems (M42, Pentax-K, Pentax-KA, and Minolta MD) of cameras that I own.

Steve
08-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Some Vivitar T4/TX manuals can be found here:
Page 43