Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vivitar lens

In going through some of my old lenses I came across this Vivitar 90-230mm lens it seem to have a Minolta to M42 screw mount adapter, my question is if I use this just for the sake of trying it out with a screw mount to K mount adapter on top of the Minolta to M42 will this cause me any problems it does on the M42 adapter
the long pin, I shoot with a K7 and a K5 ?

08-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

If it has a M42 mount on the rear with a proper adapter the registration distance should be correct. The M42 to K-mount sits below the flange of the camera mount so does not change the distance.

Not sure I follow your comment about 'the long pin' so you might want to clarify.

Be aware there is another metric thread mount: T-Mount which is M42 x .75mm whereas M42 screw mount is M42 x 1mm pitch. These look like they will thread but can damage the threads, usually on the adapter because it is softer, but sometimes on the lens mount. So take care when threading it on, if it doesn't thread cleanly don't force it.
08-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Minolta to M42? Unless it has an auxiliary rear element, you won't be able to attain infinity focus.

Steve
08-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What mount is on the lens? Minolta or M42? If it is a Minolta mount you won't get infinity focus. I have a Minolta to K-mount adapter that is about 9mm thick. No problems with the levers or pins on the Minolta (MD mount) - they can't even protrude out of the adapter. This is a glassless adapter and I only use it on my bellows and Minolta macro lenses.

08-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If it has a M42 mount on the rear with a proper adapter the registration distance should be correct.
Minolta MC/MD registration distance is about 3mm shorter than Pentax. Minolta AF mount is a little closer, but still shorter.

Steve
08-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Be aware there is another metric thread mount: T-Mount which is M42 x .75mm whereas M42 screw mount is M42 x 1mm pitch. These look like they will thread but can damage the threads, usually on the adapter because it is softer, but sometimes on the lens mount. So take care when threading it on, if it doesn't thread cleanly don't force it.
That was my thought as well. If the lens has T-mount native thread with a Minolta adapter the best solution would be to find a Pentax K T-mount.

Steve
08-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the information the lens is a Minolta Mount with a M42 adapter. Appreciate the feedback !
08-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I've never seen a Minolta lens to M42 body adapter before. Plenty of M42 lens to Minolta body both manual (SR/MD) and autofocus (AF/Alpha). Minolta even made one themselves for the SR mount. If it is anything like the Minolta SR lens to K-mount body adapter the diaphragm control pin should not be a problem.

Here is glassless version I have mounted on a Pentax K1000: They have since improved these by removing the center. Vignetting is a problem with long macro extension and wide angle lenses.

08-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not a Number I 'm very busy with grandchildren visiting but after the weekend I'll get a picture up for you to look at sooner, if I get the chance. Also Im not sure if the Honeywell Pentax M42 mounts are different the the Pentax M42 mounts I'm not real familiar with the Honeywell version but I did see many of them around the time of the Vietnam War.

Last edited by marquis1955; 08-08-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: forgot this adapter is also without glass
08-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marquis1955 Quote
Honeywell Pentax M42 mounts are different the the Pentax M42 mounts
They are the same. M42 is not really a Pentax mount anyway. I believe it was first used on Contax and a bit later by Praktica before being picked up by Asahi. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I was curious so I did a bit of a search and I've not been able to find any Minolta lens to M42 camera adapters listed anywhere. Lots the other way of course. So please do post a picture I would like to see what you have there.
08-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not a Number It could be my ignorance about other camera models so I to can learn something here. I now think it may be a Cannon to M42 adapter ? Anyhow I have a few pics.If it is Cannon I guess I have stumbled upon some old glass somebody could use.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
08-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry not a Number, I meant Jatrax, but I really do appreciate everyones
's help.
08-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I hope the photos were helpful. Sorry about the mix-up I have grandchildren running in & out and I do get distracted easy.
08-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One other quick question ? Does anyone know of or have a link that clearly shows the different type camera mounts both Legacy and Modern ?
Thanks, Bob
08-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
Pentaxian

That appears to be a Canon FD mount, but could be TX/T4. The backside of the lens would indicate these. Canon mount would have a knurled ring around the lens mount. Do you get infinity focus on your Honeywell? A Canon mount lens should not focus to infinity unless the adapter has optics in it.

Here you go, not complete but close:

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

Last edited by Not a Number; 08-08-2013 at 03:51 PM.