Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #1

Brighten Midtones

Hi all:

I've been using my Pentax K5 for awhile now, and I notice that when I'm editing my photos post shoot, I ALWAYS have to brighten my mid tones to get the effect I like. I know there's a setting (I often, but not always use the exposure compensation, but that doesn't seem to make a difference). Once I get to Photoshop, first thing I always do is to brighten midtones, regardless of my settings, or lens.

If I go into my menus, I'm shooting in Portrait mode,I've got my High/Low Key Adj pumped up, Contrast neutral, Contrast Highlight Adj neutral, Contrast shadow adjustment neutral. I've read the manual and I don't see the term "Increase midtones" (as referenced in PS) specifically used. Can anyone quickly tell me what adjusting I have to do so I don't always have to be doing this in post?

I appreciate your help!

08-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbartlett Quote
Hi all:

I've been using my Pentax K5 for awhile now, and I notice that when I'm editing my photos post shoot, I ALWAYS have to brighten my mid tones to get the effect I like. I know there's a setting (I often, but not always use the exposure compensation, but that doesn't seem to make a difference). Once I get to Photoshop, first thing I always do is to brighten midtones, regardless of my settings, or lens.

If I go into my menus, I'm shooting in Portrait mode,I've got my High/Low Key Adj pumped up, Contrast neutral, Contrast Highlight Adj neutral, Contrast shadow adjustment neutral. I've read the manual and I don't see the term "Increase midtones" (as referenced in PS) specifically used. Can anyone quickly tell me what adjusting I have to do so I don't always have to be doing this in post?

I appreciate your help!
Are you editing the RAW files or JPG's?

The in camera settings won't affect the RAW files so you'd basically be starting from scratch when you open them in Photoshop.