Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
hum.. now I'm thinking about 55.4 or 77mm...
But, if I find the F 135mm then nomore hesitating for portrait lens.

08-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by muromantic Quote
hum.. now I'm thinking about 55.4 or 77mm...
But, if I find the F 135mm then nomore hesitating for portrait lens.
The DA* 55mm F1.4? It's a really nice lens, my walk around one! Though it was close that I bought the Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 instead due to the manual focus feel, looks and being slightly longer but the DA*55 is one of my best buys all time.
08-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
The good news is that the "nifty fifty" lenses aren't that expensive, so try some out and keep what you like best.

While I'm here can I cast a vote for the SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2.
08-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
Veteran Member

hmmm no one has commented on the FA 50mm 2.8 macro that he asked about. I don't have one but that could be a good way to go since 2.8 is plenty big and the ability to do macro could be useful and fun

08-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
hmmm no one has commented on the FA 50mm 2.8 macro that he asked about. I don't have one but that could be a good way to go since 2.8 is plenty big and the ability to do macro could be useful and fun
haha I have two of F50mm macro f2.8
08-14-2013, 03:13 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The FA 50 f1.4 isn't a bad lens, it just is kind of soft wide open (my copy sharpened up around f2.8), has a so-so build, and tends to flare (although it does better with a hood). With any of the FA limiteds or the DA *55 you would improve all of those things. The biggest question is what focal length you want. To me, the FA 77 is a little too long for APS-C, although I love its sharpness and its rendering and the FA 43 is a little wide. As you can tell, I lean towards the DA *55. It's sharp wide open, weather sealed, nice build (but very different from FA limiteds) and corresponds to a 85mm focal length on film which is pretty comfortable to me versus longer lenses.

The DA 50 f1.8 would not be that different from the FA 50 that you already have. And don't get me wrong. If you are satisfied with the FA 50, add a hood and keep shooting with it. It is a nice lens and it isn't that hard to add some contrast to its photos in post processing.
08-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'm very fond of my FA 50 (And I do use it with a big ol' hood) ...if there's a lower score in reviews it's probably from those who want something more meant to be really sharp wide-open for the bokeh fiends. For a 'people' lens, this isn't a 'bug' to me, actually. I'm usually stopped down a little, anyway, just cause I'm not all about going for the really-narrow DOF anyway. And it is plenty sharp at apertures where I want it to be, perfectly acceptable wide-open.

There's no shortage of choices in 50mm ish lenses, so could almost say what you want to do and people could probably recommend a specific model for that.

08-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'm very fond of my FA 50 (And I do use it with a big ol' hood) ...if there's a lower score in reviews it's probably from those who want something more meant to be really sharp wide-open for the bokeh fiends. For a 'people' lens, this isn't a 'bug' to me, actually. I'm usually stopped down a little, anyway, just cause I'm not all about going for the really-narrow DOF anyway. And it is plenty sharp at apertures where I want it to be, perfectly acceptable wide-open.

There's no shortage of choices in 50mm ish lenses, so could almost say what you want to do and people could probably recommend a specific model for that.
haha I see, I don't think that the FA50.4 is bad. Actualy a lot of my best pics were taken by FA50.4. However I really curious about DA*55.4.
And want to compare the FA50.4 with DA*55.4 as well.
08-20-2013, 03:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by muromantic Quote
haha I see, I don't think that the FA50.4 is bad. Actualy a lot of my best pics were taken by FA50.4. However I really curious about DA*55.4.
And want to compare the FA50.4 with DA*55.4 as well.
Do you mean FA50/1.4 and DA*55/1.4?
I am not aware of Pentax having sold k-mount lenses with marketed fractional focal lengths, nor lenses faster than f/1? (Although, I'd love a 155mm f/0.4 or something, it would likely save me from renewing my gym membership....)