Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

K200d Battery Door, No Power stand alone, But works with Battery grip

My Hopes are anyone with a K200D could upload a high resolution image of the battery door area open.

Here is the issue, I recently purchased a dead K200d with 1,620~40 click's because I had a DBG-3 grip in hand.

The Camera will not power up with (fresh proper) batteries in the body. When the battery Grip is used the camera function's perfectly.

A small piece fell out of the Body at the battery door from the body and I am wondering if there is a micro-switch that is out of line causing the camera not to functionally power up with out the battery grip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am in the K-5 II era now but I would like to sell this K-200D because it's a baby but want to make sure I sell it with out issue's if possible.

08-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are images at:
Review: Controls, Storage, I/O, Power
http://sale.images.woot.com/VC99011C_Specs12.jpg
08-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
Thanks so much, and I really appreciate those links but I really need a close up image of where the door pin receiver inserts into the body. If anyone has a K200-D that has the time it would really be appreciated.
08-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No K200D owner has a 2-nd camera ...
I came across this thread with a lot of K200D battery door images.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/32368-can-k200d-us...-lithiums.html

08-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pictures may be self-explaining.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio A40  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio A40  Photo 
08-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
You Guys are the Greatest Thank you. Sorry I could not reply more quickly we were away on vacation. That is exactly what was needed. I do not know if there are pin tabs that may have been broken off the lever or if it just fits back in place. Is there any parts blow-up that can be found. I can not locate one anywhere from my search.

Here are two crops from a 50mm FA macro. Thank you again
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
08-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From your pictures it seems the lever of the micro switch is broken from its axes, but not sure. I would think the lever is a non-detachable part of the switch, which must be replaced (again, not sure).

I've looked for a K200D service manual for some time, but it seems you can get it only after making good friends with some service engineer. But if I'm right a blow up would show the switch as a whole, and small enough you can't see details.

Personally, I would not like to open the body without a proper service manual - some WR seals probably must be replaced every time you remove a cover, and there could also be the problem with the load of the flash capacitor.

08-17-2013, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
I've looked for a K200D service manual for some time, but it seems you can get it only after making good friends with some service engineer.
The Pentax K200D Service Manual is located here.
08-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the full set of older Pentax K-DSLR service manuals. The K200 is a .djvu file which I am not familiar with but did find the software to read it and will be doing so.
08-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Personally, I would not like to open the body without a proper service manual - some WR seals probably must be replaced every time you remove a cover, and there could also be the problem with the load of the flash capacitor.
While sliding the switch to the right with a wooden toothpick. A small piece of the pick jammed the switch closed. After installing the batteries the camera functioned perfectly.

My thoughts are to remove the toothpick material (already done) then insert a small piece of removable plastic and seal it in place with a small dab of removable silicone caulk rather than open up the bottom and disclose that this has been preformed.

After all if the battery door is open the batteries will fall out or partially the camera will not power up. So this switch is not really a necessity for the camera to function properly.

Now both the battery grip and the camera batteries will be both useful and efficient and the camera will be able to function stand alone with out the grip with out issue.

The thing that troubles me is this camera is so near mint with less than 1,650 shutter releases. It sure would be nice to get a hold of the proper part(s) and make it right.

Thanks again for the fantastic help, you guys are outstanding.
08-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@tomwil
Thank you. I hadn't looked at the Pentax hack site, as I did not expect to find hardware information, just firmware.

@all others
About the format (DjVU) of the K200D service manual:

Part of the conversion offers in the web are kind of cloud based (the file is converted on some web site), which is something I hate. I haven't tried out all the stand alone convert programs, but the ones I downloaded seem always to add watermarks to each page (if you use the trial versions).

So I experimented a bit and found I can convert it to PDF without installing any additional software on my desktop as well as on my notebook.

What is needed:
  1. MS Windows (I am not sure whether there are possibilities with MAC, but there certainly are with Linux)
  2. Installed Irfan View with the full codec package (it includes DjVU as standard)
  3. Installed Foxit Reader (should be installed everywhere, since Adobe completely lost control over security issues of their PDF reader)
What to do now:
  • Load the DjVU file with Irfan View. You now can already flip through the pages of the file.
  • Print from Irfan View, and for printing choose the Foxit PDF printer (this virtual printer should have been installed automatically when Foxit was installed). You can adjust some settings before "printing" (= saving in a PDF).
Alternatively, if you just need a printout without a PDF file, you can of course select any printer installed on your system. What kind of print settings are available, will depend on your printer driver.

EDIT:
Thinking about it again, I am now not sure whether the DjVU codec was included in the standard Irfan codec pack. I still do some software work on both computers (occasionally), and for flexibility have installed several hundreds of codecs (sound, graphics, video, general compression, etc.). But I never had to pay for any of them. The DjVU may well have been from some other (free) software. For me it is now impossible to find out where it came from. But as IrfanView is able to handle it, I think it was included.

EDIT 2:
Just for members not knowing IrfanView: it has its own JPG engine, and not a bad one. So, if you have installed the Windows codecs for DNG and PEF, it will show the Pentax RAW formats nicely (the real thing, not only the included thumbnails). And it makes lossless crops of any JPG).

Last edited by RKKS08; 08-18-2013 at 06:33 PM.