Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #1

Whats IMG v.s IMGP

Hi all-

I took my new K-30 on a trip to Colorado and was experimenting. Shot some in JPEG, some in RAW and some in the 'both' option.
My computer won't read the RAW ones, but the Silkypix software does (score!). So, after loading into Silkypix, then "developing" them as JPEG so my computer would read them... they are all labled as JPEG, but the initials before each pic number is either IMG or IMGP.
The IMG load on Shutterfly, but the IMGP ones don't.

Any idea what the "P" is for on the end of IMG?
Any idea how to get rid of the "P" so I can use the pix?

Thanks!

08-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The P is for Pentax, I believe you can get rid of it in the K-30's setup menu, where you can select the naming convention to be used.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
hm. I'll give it a try. Hope it "unconfuses" shutterfly so I can make my Mom's book!
Thanks Adam!
08-11-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Any common letter/number name before the '.jpg' suffix should be valid, it's just a name after all (some special characters are verboten for file names of course).

Out of interest are all the files suffixed as '.jpg' or are some suffixed as '.jpeg' and are the problem files the ones with the latter suffix?

I've seen this before where some apps label jpg's as '.jpeg' and then that causes issues especially on the web where it is expecting a three-character suffix.

It would also be interesting to find out if it's the ones converted from RAW that had the '.jpeg' suffix as I suspect that is where your problem may lie.

08-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Just change the file names to anything you want. IMGP0222.jpeg can become MyCuteCat02.jpg and work fine. The name before the "." won't matter unless you include oddball characters like "/". The suffix to the right has to be three letters - .jpg, not .jpeg.
08-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I've been looking to in the K30, but haven't found how to....unlike the K20D and even the MX-1!

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The P is for Pentax, I believe you can get rid of it in the K-30's setup menu, where you can select the naming convention to be used.
08-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The .jpg vs. .jpeg issue (and also .tif vs. .tiff) is merely a Microsoft problem.

MSDOS allowed only 3 digits extensions, and all Windows versions use it to decide about the mime type (and jpeg/tiff may not be in their table, if not specially registered by some software installation).

Most other operating systems don't care, they will look at the file header or have special directory entries to decide what it is.

Last edited by RKKS08; 08-27-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: some grammar correction
08-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
The .jpg vs. .jpeg issue (and also .tif vs. .tiff) is merely a Microsoft problem.

MSDOS allowed only 3 digits extensions, and all Windows versions use it to decide about the mime type (and jpeg/tiff may not be in their table, if not specially registered by some software installation).

Most other operating systems don't care, they will look at the file header or have special directory entries to decide what it is.
But you 'teach' Windoze which app to use, rather than let an OS decide by headers or whatever, RKKS08.

08-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I think the prefix is different as a function of the color space selected. I.e. adobe color space or not
08-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It doesn't look like the K-30 has any way to customize the file name. You are stuck with IMGPxxxx if you choose the sRGB color space, _IGPxxxx for AdobeRGB color space. The extension is either JPG or DNG on the K-30. The top-tier cameras starting with the K20D let you choose different letters to replace IMGP for sRGB. They will still start all file names with an underscore if you choose AdobeRGB.

After 9999 shots or a second camera you'll want a system for changing the file name or you'll have duplicates. It's handy to have this happen as soon as you import the images into the computer, and your image software might have file renaming features.
08-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
But you 'teach' Windoze which app to use, rather than let an OS decide by headers or whatever, RKKS08.
That's what I was saying.
If an application uses file name extensions which are not registered in a fresh Windows installation, it should register it as a new additional type during its installation routine (if not, there could be some restrictions in using Windows API).

And on opening a file, "headers or whatever" should be checked by the application anyway to avoid crashing when a file has the wrong file name extension.

But this discussion is probably not really related to the problems of the OP.
08-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
That's what I was saying.
If an application uses file name extensions which are not registered in a fresh Windows installation, it should register it as a new additional type during its installation routine (if not, there could be some restrictions in using Windows API).

And on opening a file, "headers or whatever" should be checked by the application anyway to avoid crashing when a file has the wrong file name extension.

But this discussion is probably not really related to the problems of the OP.
What's important is not what the apps want (they will happily try to claim all your file associations), but that you choose which one do what by right-clicking and selecting "Open With ..."
08-29-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think the prefix is different as a function of the color space selected. I.e. adobe color space or not

Not answering the OP's question but to clarify Lowell's post, from page 142 of the k-30 manual - Memo under color space section.

The file naming system changes depending upon the color space settings as shown below.

For sRGB: IMGPxxxx,jpg
For AdobeRGB:_IMGxxxx.jpg

xxxx is the image number.

Tim.

Last edited by atupdate; 08-29-2013 at 04:31 AM.
08-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I can't find a way to do it on the K30 although I can on the K20D and even the MX-1! So, I use an external file renaming software to rename the prefix.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It doesn't look like the K-30 has any way to customize the file name. You are stuck with IMGPxxxx if you choose the sRGB color space, _IGPxxxx for AdobeRGB color space. The extension is either JPG or DNG on the K-30. The top-tier cameras starting with the K20D let you choose different letters to replace IMGP for sRGB. They will still start all file names with an underscore if you choose AdobeRGB.

After 9999 shots or a second camera you'll want a system for changing the file name or you'll have duplicates. It's handy to have this happen as soon as you import the images into the computer, and your image software might have file renaming features.