Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2013, 02:09 AM   #1

Newbie: What happened with my photos ?

Dear Pentax community,

OK so I recently aquired my first ever Pentax (a k1000, so retro !!! ) and went on a shooting spree during my holidays.

Being a complete newbie with film SLRs, I just shot at random and then went to develop them at my local photo printer.

Have a look at what came out

What could be the cause of this? Yet some did come out fine. I played around with my friend's K1000 and the shutter mechanism sounded a little different. Mine was more clunky. Could that be it?

Thank you loads for your help.

Attached Images

08-12-2013, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

That is a light leak of sorts. Maybe someone here has a better idea of how it might've got there, but given it isn't on all the photos you should consider the possibility that the film canister had a gap in it or the lab may have exposed it. Maybe waste another roll of cheapo film through it and see if it happens again.
08-12-2013, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep, light leaked somehow and the film got exposed to it in places. Make sure all the light seals are new - after all these years there is no chance the camera will be light tight without any service. Apart from that - lovely shots, congrats ! ( I'd frame that shots with fellows so their feet would be visible perhaps :P)
08-12-2013, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #4

Lomography! Some folks actually pay to have their photos looks that way.

I vote light leak.

08-12-2013, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like them.
08-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #6

Original Poster
Haha thanks everyone ! I was at first so down that all my photos were ruined and now it looks like people actually prefer them this way... aah life is full of surprises.

So I might have to get the K1000 serviced then.

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
Maybe waste another roll of cheapo film through it and see if it happens again.
Oh nooooo I just put in a super fancy black and white roll in there ... aaaarg ! Never mind.. gotta learn somehow.

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Make sure all the light seals are new - after all these years there is no chance the camera will be light tight without any service. Apart from that - lovely shots, congrats ! ( I'd frame that shots with fellows so their feet would be visible perhaps :P)
Ok thanks for the info. I contacted my vintage camera repair shop and see how much it'll cost to fix if it is indeed the case of the body leaking light. And thanks for kind feedback. I totally agree that it would have been better WITH the feet in shot :-) still kinda clumsy with the old camera.

Funnily enough, I find that the lomography (thanks Lou for teaching me a cool new technical term) worked really well on a photo of two friends laughing which you can see on my website (see signature).

Thanks again for all your help.
08-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm noticing it's fairly consistently the right side...were the days that the light leak happened especially warm ones, and the ones that the leak didn't occur when it was a bit cooler?? Could be expansion due to the heat.

And, yes, a servicing is probably in order. For now if you don't mind the ugly look, black electrical tape might be a temporary cure if it's a seal on the camera door...did that with my old brownie back in the day.
08-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, I agree that it is a light leak. The mirror bumper is probably compromised too which would explain the clunky sound.

An simple way to check for light leaks is to put a small enough LED flashlight in the film compartment or spool side and examine in a dark room.