Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
unwanted date stamp

I think I must be going nuts. I printed out some 6x4 pics a few months ago from I trip I went on, and as always they were not date stamped as I do not have that option ticked in my camera. (Ugh) Today I printed out a batch from the same folder, same trip and every one of them had a blasted date stamp marring the pic. I came home and checked on the computer and no date stamp on the pictures. I had these printed at Harvey Norman. What I am hoping is that someone can tell me is why?? Is it something in their printing?

08-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

How did you send the photos for printing? If you have a pile of jpegs and sent them to the printer, the printing service may have added dates. But if you use Lightroom or other software, when you export your photos to a folder for printing you may have accidentally activated the option to add dates during export.
08-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't think "adding a date on the picture" is a feature of the camera (at least not on the Pentax DSLR, and if it does, I don't even know where to activate). However, the date plus other photo information are in the EXIF data attached to the file. So, it is very likely that the date information is added in post processing or the printing process.
08-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I also think that this was something added by the printer. It's easy to extract exif information and add it to digital prints automatically. I'd contact them and tell them that you did not want this, and they should reprint the order at no charge.

First, I'd make sure that there wasn't something on the form you submitted with the order that requested time/date stamping though. . .

Scott

08-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
I took them off my computer and then into Harvey Norman's. This has not happened before. I did print one off the same file a few months ago, at HN, and there is no date stamp on it. I wonder have they changed their printer and it is now reading the dates? There is not date stamp on the actual photos on the computer screen at home. I do know a friend who has that date stamp on her pics and when she loads them onto her computer the date shows there too. seems really bizarre to me that although they do not show on my computer screen they are coming out on the prints. No good asking the HN folk as nice thought they are they wouldn't have a clue, as when I asked yesterday why they were date stamped they had no idea.
08-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #6

If the camera has a function to include the time/date on the image then it is usually added to the image itself and cannot be removed except by retouching/editing or cropping. If the option was enabled at the time the photos were taken then the date stamp should be visible when the files are viewed or printed. If the same file shows a date stamp now and didn't when printed earlier then either the printer has an option to add the dates or the file has been modified to include the date. If the viewer or printer has an option to show a date stamp there are usually options to change the font and position of the date stamp. Most likely some one at Henry Norman changed a setting on their printer or they updated/upgraded the printer or printer software which may have changed the settings.

Is the date stamp visible when you view the file(s) on your computer?
08-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
that although they do not show on my computer screen
All is revealed! When I tried to use the kiosk at HN it would not read my thumb drive. So the girl on duty kindly put them through the desk computer for me. I went back today to tell the usual chap the problem. He straight away asked had I used their computer to download the pics. When I said I had he said it was a problem with their computer and it was reading the dates. He said he had no idea how to stop it. Hopefully he will get some IT help and removed the problem.
Meanwhile thanks for all the imput. Cheers