Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #1

Questions about temperature, weather and conservation

Even beginners like me know cameras are, like my SPII's manual says, "an instrument of precision" and must be conditioned as such. But I'd like to learn more about the correct ways to protect my camera from harsh weather conditions and stuff like that.

So, first, what should I do in very hot weather? And cold? What's the worst for cameras, lenses and equipment in general?

Today I was in a very cold room inside a museum and then I went outside to take some pictures. I took the SP out without even thinking about the fact that it was very hot outside, the lenses had condensation all over them. How harmful was that?

Thank you for your attention.

08-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Long-term humidity rather than temperature destroys camera equipment. Humidity is bad for lenses because it encourages fungus growth. Over the course of months or years fungus can build up to damage lens coatings. At home, keeps lenses in a sealed box with a pack of desciccant to absorb moisture (a gasketed large kitchen storage container is an economical option, no need to invest in something like a Pelican case for home storage).

Your camera can handle approximately the same temperatures you can. "Normal" temperatures aren't much of a concern. Moving from air conditioning into hot, humid air will temporarily fog the outside of the lens but it should evaporate in a few minutes. When temperatures drop below freezing you'll experience shorter battery life.

Never store your camera for hours in a sealed car on a warm, sunny day because the temperature can rise to dangerous levels. A closed car can reach extreme temperatures that risk damaging any sensitive equipment. If you have to keep it there, put it low on the floor blocked from direct sunlight.
08-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Just treat your kit like you want to be treated yourself, it's always kinda worked for me.
08-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Just treat your kit like you want to be treated yourself, it's always kinda worked for me.
...except that it does not take kindly to sunbathing or regular showers.

Steve

08-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Agreed - if you don't like it, your camera won't either .... Although the WR cameras (when paired with a WR lens) will tolerate cold a bit longer than none WR cameras.

If you are moving between greater than normal temperature and humidity levels, you may wish to either keep your camera in a case, or inside a plastic bag, long enough for the camera and lens to adapt to the new environment. The will prevent condensation on the camera/lens itself.