Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello! I have a K-30 with exposure issues

To clarify, I have an issue with overexposure. It may be internal or from my kit lens, but I can't tell. Even shooting in Auto mode, it overexposes. Except when in Live View, strangely. Exposure compensation works fine on it...I'm hoping it's a maintenance or settings issue, not a faulty or repair issue. Any suggestions or experience with this?

08-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please attach some sample photos straight out of your camera (click on the "manage attachments" button below or when in the main editor) and we'll take a look at what could be wrong!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, we await your images...
08-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
and be ready to answer some ?'s - what mode was the camera in, what lens you were using, what were the settings (aperture, iso, shutterspeed, exposure compensation), where was the focus point and do you have AE tied to the focus point in your setup menu. You may want to get a EXIF reader like PhotoME and it will be able to get all this info from your image - you can cut and paste along with your photo and that will help the people willing to help you immensely.

08-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So I'll try to answer all your questions, but of course I'm pretty new to the dslr show. These pictures were taken in Auto. One was taken with exposure compensation (see if you can guess which haha). And so then the other is the PhotoME of the over exposed like you suggested. Idk if you can get any good information off it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo   
08-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the exact same problem but with manual lens. Seemingly "perfect" exposure times in Live View but overexposed through the viewfinder. I'm going to watch this thread.
08-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If the EXIF wouldn't tell you used F5.6 with the kit lens, I would think there is something wrong with your lens aperture (closing too slow) or the coupling mechanism (not closing at all).
This could also explain the different behaviour when using live view.

But 1/15 sec exposure time @ F5.6 and ISO 1600? Was it nearly dark?

Last edited by RKKS08; 08-13-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Suggestion added
08-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
But 1/15 sec exposure time @ F5.6 and ISO 1600? Was it nearly dark?
No it wasn't that dark. That's the odd thing is that the second picture is the one that was essentially true to life. The camera set it that way automatically. Does that just make it an inaccurate reading?

08-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, those are dark indoor room settings...

You might want to reset the camera to factory settings if you've been menu-diving.
08-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I think the culprit could be
  1. lens aperture mechanism
  2. lens chip fault
  3. problems with communication between lens and body: this could cause all kinds of crazy behaviour
  4. problems with aperture actuation from body
  5. problems with exposure measurement (in-body hardware or firmware failings)
As also the EXIF shows strange values, (2) (3) and (5) are more likely.

The first things I would do:
  • Clean all mount contacts at the lens and the body; keep in mind that a thin oxide film cannot be seen. Also look whether contacts are sitting too far inside the mount.
  • Reset the camera to factory defaults.
  • Make tests with another lens on this body, and this lens on another body.
After having done this, the problem will either have vanished, or you may at least have more knowledge about which of the 5 points could be the cause.