Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
help with purchased M42 Pentacon Helios + INDUSTAR-50-2

Hi people

i purchased previously from ebay few old manual lenses and so far i am very satisfied.

recently i was curious and purchased two lenses

INDUSTAR-50-2

Pentacon Helios 50-1.7

1) with industar i can only move with aperture ring. Focusing ring is totally stuck. No previous experience with industar, focus ring should work right? i bought it as fully functional

2) pentacon looks great, but when turning aperture ring, there is no movement inside lens it stays wide open. This is also not ok right?

3) pentacon is not focusing to infinity, i mean i am not able to focus even close to infinity, horizon is out of focus

So what is happening?bad luck for me or i am missing something?

using genuine m42 adapter and k-01 pentax

08-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'd send them back. Both lenses are as common as dirt and it shouldn't be too much trouble to obtain ones that actually work.
08-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
I'd send them back. Both lenses are as common as dirt and it shouldn't be too much trouble to obtain ones that actually work.
you are probably right, i will do it
08-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

One problem I have heard about m42 lenses is that with some adapters the focus ring is pressed too close to the body, and it cant move right.
But I have the Industar 50-2 and genuine Pentax m42 adapter. No problem focusing. The only thing is that its performance isnt very great wide open and zone focusing doesn't really give satisfactory results most of the time. And it might focus past infinity. But when the focus is just right, its great. Focus ring moves easily, though. Aperture ring is in an awkward position, at the front, and moves almost freely.
The Pentacon Helios, I am not sure about. Is it even m42?
But you have three options:
a) return lenses, re-buy them from a different seller. The Industar is a very fun lens and can be found for under $25.
b) find assembly diagrams online. I think these things are available on forums and blogs, and old Soviet lenses are usually relatively easy to disassemble. Provided you have the tools and are careful not to get dust in there. And remember how to put it back in the correct order.
c) send them to a repair store for fixing and general CLA

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-13-2013 at 02:27 PM.
08-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for suggestions! appreciate
08-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by romansolar Quote
1) with industar i can only move with aperture ring. Focusing ring is totally stuck. No previous experience with industar, focus ring should work right? i bought it as fully functional

2) pentacon looks great, but when turning aperture ring, there is no movement inside lens it stays wide open. This is also not ok right?

3) pentacon is not focusing to infinity, i mean i am not able to focus even close to infinity, horizon is out of focus

So what is happening?bad luck for me or i am missing something?
Does the focus ring on the Industar move smoothly when not mounted on the camera? If not, ask for a refund.

As for the Pentacon Helios 50mm f/1.7...I didn't know that they made such a lens. Your photo is too small to see any details. Assuming that it is a M42 with auto aperture, with the lens off the camera set the aperture ring to 16 and depress the small silver pin on the back of the lens. The lens should stop down. The action should be "snappy" without hesitation. There may also be a switch or slider on the side of the lens barrel labeled A (or Auto)/M (or manual). Move that to the M position and the lens should stop down and stay stopped down. In order to use it adapted to a K-mount camera, the switch must be in the M position at the time of exposure. No A/M switch? There are solutions, but without knowing more about the lens, I can't make a recommendation.

As for lack of infinity focus...that by itself is cause for refund.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-18-2013 at 10:35 AM.
08-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks steve, asked for refund already, money received

i dont know why they are selling these crap pieces? they though that i will keep it or what? hope to have more luck next time. I already have good old prime lenses but i love to check new bargain one must count with these problems maybe when buying vintage lenses at this bargain price
08-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by romansolar Quote
i dont know why they are selling these crap pieces?
I can imagine there are disreputable sellers who claim ignorance and hope that the buyer won't notice or won't care. The claim of fully functional when it isn't is the first clue. When you actually receive your refund, I would be sure and leave negative or neutral feedback indicating that the goods were anything but fully functional.

Steve

08-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thx steve, i think i will leave neutral feedback