Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stevizzy Quote
Should I be using the PEF setting on my K5 or the DNG?
Whatever floats your boat. I personally have always used DNG, and I switched my camera's color profile from sRGB to Adobe. I use Adobe products for post processing, and I figure it only makes sense to minimize the color profile transitions. My final jpeg output is in sRGB.

For what it is worth, the K-30, and I am guessing the K-50/500 no longer gives you an option on RAW, Pentax is only supporting DNG going forward.

08-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #17

Steveizzy,

Don't forget that if you develop your RAWs using the bundled Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 that came with your K-5, then because the software is targeted on Pentax models, the camera settings are imported into PDCU4 when you open them, so that you see your picture as the embedded JPG shows it in camera. PDCU is actually pretty good when you find your way around it, and is my first stop for RAW developing, followed up by Photoshop for touch-ups, detailed curves/levels and sharpening. PDCU will even correct for tilt/shift.

Many people prefer DNG because it's apparently universal; personally I use PEF and convert to DNG if I feel the need. PDCU will read both, and I've never found working with PEF a disadvantage, even from my istDS days in RAW. (PDCU will read istDS RAW files too!)