Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

AE Lock not working K20D

Hello,

I noticed my exposures were all over the place and then noticed the AE lock function does not appear to work on my K20D when in user mode ( green square setting).

If I focus on a spot, the view finder meter indicates the exposure. If I move off the metered spot, the exposure changes. I have AE lock and AF lock set to ON in the set up menu.

I also note that the AE-L button appears to do nothing.

I am probably doing something stupid. Appreciate some guidance from an expert.

My lenses are Sigma 10-20 f3.5, Sigma 18-250 f3.5, Pentax FA 1.4, an old F lens (1.4 IIRC) and a standard Pentax kit lens. They all have this problem.

Thanks

08-17-2013, 06:45 PM   #2

AE-lock is not available in the "green" mode. Neither is EV compensation. Check the user manual.
08-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
AE-lock is not available in the "green" mode. Neither is EV compensation. Check the user manual.
Ok thanks for that. I am traveling now - no manual with me!
08-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bonsai Quote
Ok thanks for that. I am traveling now - no manual with me!
I think it's possible that the AE-L button may also do something else (or nothing) if you have a menu selection that links an AE-L function to your focus point. (checking my guy here. ) Ok Custom function 7: Link af point to AE: if that's set to 'on' and you are using multi-segment metering, then what you may be getting the wild exposures from is the camera reading from the selected AF points rather than anything else. And if you're using regular or spot metering that may also defeat the AE-L button. (not sure on that last)

But maybe have a look there, too.