Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #1

k30 liveview mirror lock up failure

Hello,

I want to share here a problem I got yesterday. I did push the "live view" button on my k30 for a shot and the typical noise of the mirror getting up occurred. Yet it apparently did not complete and the screen remained black (I could nevertheless see it was on) and inside the camera there was a weak motor-like noise. As there was nothing that could be done from the command buttons (Including on/off who had no effect), I removed the battery.

When I put the battery back and switched the start button to "on", everything went back as normal and I did not reproduce the problem. I suspect that a little dust did block the mirror from completing it's move. Since then I hear a strange metallic noise when moving the camera sideways. I don't know though if it's only the usual SR noise and me freaking because of what happened .

Thanks for your input if you encountered something like this problem. Maybe it's related with the random exposure problems that have been reported on this forum?

08-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LDPDC Quote
Hello,

I want to share here a problem I got yesterday. I did push the "live view" button on my k30 for a shot and the typical noise of the mirror getting up occurred. Yet it apparently did not complete and the screen remained black (I could nevertheless see it was on) and inside the camera there was a weak motor-like noise. As there was nothing that could be done from the command buttons (Including on/off who had no effect), I removed the battery.

When I put the battery back and switched the start button to "on", everything went back as normal and I did not reproduce the problem. I suspect that a little dust did block the mirror from completing it's move. Since then I hear a strange metallic noise when moving the camera sideways. I don't know though if it's only the usual SR noise and me freaking because of what happened .

Thanks for your input if you encountered something like this problem. Maybe it's related with the random exposure problems that have been reported on this forum?
Unless you have been using your camera in unusually dusty conditions, I suspect a weak battery. Live View consumes a lot of power. Turning the camera off and temporarily removing the battery allowed it to recover enough to cycle the mirror. Unless it is unusually loud, the noise you describe sounds like the sensor moving freely within its SR region when the camera is off. Normal.