Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #1

[K30] Controls not responding until I enter and exit a menu

I'm brand new to DSLR photography, so excuse me if I refer to anything incorrectly.

On my brand new K-30, I find that sometimes I have an issue when I'm trying to adjust ISO or use the auto metering button (on Manual mode with a manual lens). Sometimes it will stop responding until I go into a menu and exit it again, or turn the camera off and back on again. I've seen it in other modes too, but manual is the mode where I adjust settings the most.

For instance, I'll use the auto-metering button, then take a picture, and then change the lighting and try to meter it again, but it won't respond. I have to shut the camera off and turn it back on, or go into the ISO menu (D-pad up), then hit OK to return to shooting mode, and it will start working again. The same thing happens with adjustments on the click wheel. I'll use the correct wheel to try and change ISO, for instance - nothing will happen. Power cycle or enter and exit a menu, and it works fine again.

This happens once every couple of shots I take. Anyone have any idea why this behavior happens, or how to fix it? Do I need to exchange this camera for a new one? This one is less than a week old.

08-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #2

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lukel99 Quote
I'm brand new to DSLR photography, so excuse me if I refer to anything incorrectly.

On my brand new K-30, I find that sometimes I have an issue when I'm trying to adjust ISO or use the auto metering button (on Manual mode with a manual lens). Sometimes it will stop responding until I go into a menu and exit it again, or turn the camera off and back on again. I've seen it in other modes too, but manual is the mode where I adjust settings the most.

For instance, I'll use the auto-metering button, then take a picture, and then change the lighting and try to meter it again, but it won't respond. I have to shut the camera off and turn it back on, or go into the ISO menu (D-pad up), then hit OK to return to shooting mode, and it will start working again. The same thing happens with adjustments on the click wheel. I'll use the correct wheel to try and change ISO, for instance - nothing will happen. Power cycle or enter and exit a menu, and it works fine again.

This happens once every couple of shots I take. Anyone have any idea why this behavior happens, or how to fix it? Do I need to exchange this camera for a new one? This one is less than a week old.
Forgot to mention - using the 1.04 firmware.
08-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Possibly another faulty one, you say it's new, don't hesitate just takeout back to the shop you bought it from, that what warranties are for.
08-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm having the exact same problems with mine from time to time. I've had it 6 months and it's has not been wet,dropped, etc. The rear thumbwheel of mine also acts up. At first I thought it was a firmware issue, but I think it must be a bad thumbwheel(s), since that's when the problems occur. I'm going to send it for repairs next week. Good luck with yours!

Last edited by Kendigitize; 08-21-2013 at 08:45 AM.
08-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
Exchanged it through Amazon, new one seems to be working flawlessly. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone.