Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #1

mirrorless vs dslr

hi guys
i currently have k-x ryt now...
n it came to my attention that mirrorless cameras are better? than dslrs?
in price, quality, size, n features...
is this true?

n if it is true why did pentax k-01 got discontinued?

is it worth getting a mirrorless camera like k-01 to replace my k-x?

wats the advantages n disadv of mirrorless?

08-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hansangpyo Quote
hi guys i currently have k-x ryt now... n it came to my attention that mirrorless cameras are better? than dslrs? in price, quality, size, n features... is this true?
No.
It isn't. Exactly, sorta. they just released a new production run in white/blue
Just because it is mirrorless? No. Because k-01 has the same sensor (16mp) as the k-5 rather than the 12mp in the k-x? Yes, maybe.
Advantage: less bulk because the pentaprism and viewfinder can be eliminated. Disadvantage: No viewfinder so you must use the LCD to focus with.

Is there something wrong with your keyboard? You are missing letters in your post. Just FYI.
08-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a K-01. It is slightly smaller than a dslr. At close out prices it was a bargain. It is my "everyday" camera and I am very happy with it. I can't fault the IQ and it has all the features I need. Focus peaking is great. On the downside, the lack of a viewfinder can be a handicap in very bright light and it can be a bit more difficult to locate the subject when using a long telephoto lens This is where a dslr would have an advantage. "Better" is a relative condition. The K-01 does not have to be "better" than a dslr. The best camera is the one that does the job that you need it to do (or 99% of that job).

Last edited by PJ1; 08-20-2013 at 09:12 PM. Reason: typo
08-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

hi guys
i currently have k-x ryt now...
n it came to my attention that mirrorless cameras are better? than dslrs?
in price, quality, size, n features...
is this true?

The main advantage of mirrorless cameras is that they can be made very small. The K-01 isn't very small, and that's why it didn't sell well. It's still going to be an upgrade over your K-x, as would a K-50 or a K-30.

DSLRs still have much better AF through the viewfinder, so for now, they're still more versatile. That will surely change soon, however...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-20-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I get away with using a mirrorless camera because I do a lot of photography. With the K01 outdoors i am almost shooting blind as I can't see the screen very well. I persist with the K01 because I can hang it from my neck with a small prime such as the 35Ltd. Over one of the shoulders using a rappid I will have a telephoto with a K5.

I thing the K01 is a good backup camera. Its images are as good as the K5 and it is light to use if you have some light lenses.
outdoors it is a struggle.
closeup work is difficult to get the autofous to nail it. Biggest problem is you often don't know if the shot is focused on what you want until you have it on your computer.

The best thing I like about the K01 is I look less like a photographer when out and about.
08-21-2013, 03:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Hey, welcome.
There are many threads on this.
Mirrorless is not "better" than DSLR. But it has some advantages. Mirrorless are usually more compact, but not as quick. The K-01 has practically the same sensor as K-30 and K-50, so it will have better photo output than the K-x and K-r. But it does not have a viewfinder and it is slower (slower burst mode, slower AF).
Its main advantage is that it is smaller than the K-5, but produces almost as good quality photos - if you have the time to set it up. A DSLR is 0.5 second faster, but in some cases, that is important.
I would suggest you buy the K-01, but keep the K-x. The cameras go well together, and they will cover each other's weaknesses. And if you find you are not using your K-x at all, you can sell it afterward.
08-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Hey, welcome.
There are many threads on this.
Mirrorless is not "better" than DSLR. But it has some advantages. Mirrorless are usually more compact, but not as quick. The K-01 has practically the same sensor as K-30 and K-50, so it will have better photo output than the K-x and K-r. But it does not have a viewfinder and it is slower (slower burst mode, slower AF).
Its main advantage is that it is smaller than the K-5, but produces almost as good quality photos - if you have the time to set it up. A DSLR is 0.5 second faster, but in some cases, that is important.
I would suggest you buy the K-01, but keep the K-x. The cameras go well together, and they will cover each other's weaknesses. And if you find you are not using your K-x at all, you can sell it afterward.
The bolded statement above is untrue. The K-01 producec higher IQ images then the K-5. There are a lot of threads on this, in which users reported the superior K-01 IQ over the K-5. But here is one example:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/177763-k-01-vs-k-5-jpg-dng-is...e-samples.html

There's a lot of debate why the IQ of the K-01 is better, of course. Some think it has a weaker AA, others think the absence of mirror-slap. But fact remains that the K-5 has lower IQ.
08-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Some think it has a weaker AA, others think the absence of mirror-slap. But fact remains that the K-5 has lower IQ.
That might be true, but I specifically was thinking about ISO 80, dynamic range, and number of recorded bits (14 vs 12?). But you are right and those threads are very interesting reads.

08-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The K-01 producec higher IQ images then the K-5. There are a lot of threads on this, in which users reported the superior K-01 IQ over the K-5. But here is one example: K-01 vs K-5 (JPG, DNG, ISO100~25600) - Full Size Samples.
The linked to thread provides no such evidence of "higher IQ" for the K01.

The K01 is hardly a typical mirrorless. It is larger than most mirrorless to accomodate an SLR mount. The main advantage with most mirrorless cameras is that they provide a smaller system than DSLRs. That makes it easier to carry them around, and to shoot in non-traditional positions (e.g., over one's head, under one's knees, etc.). I attended a wedding in Yosemite a few weeks ago and the hired photographer used a Ricoh GR to shoot the cake cutting and the dancing. For some of the shots he held the camera high above his head, or out in front of him at odd angles. That would not be as easy to do with an FF DSLR.

The main disadvantage with mirrorless is they don't handle as well for traditional shooting as mirrorless. The buttons are small, and there are fewer of them. They sometimes don't have viewfinders. They don't balance well with large lenses or large flashes. They're usually not as ergonomically satisifying as a DSLR. They don't have as good tracking AF. And they're not attached to as well developed systems as DSLRs (particularly Nikon and Canon).
08-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #10

Original Poster
well k-5 is pro dslr ryt? and k-01 is almost equivalent to a regular dslr?

is it worth getting the k-5 cuz it seems like k-5 is so far the best pentax k at the moment...
unless pentax k-500 beats k-5?
08-22-2013, 03:20 AM   #11
Pentaxian

the biggest difference between say a K-01 and a K5 is in the use. As noted in a previous post, it is impossible to see the viewfinder without a blind on the K-01 or any mirrorless in sunlight, and manual focusing using focus peaking is not as accurate as the AF sensor in a DSLR when using manual lenses.

Mirrorless can be smaller and lighter, and live view (yes i do use it sometimes even with a DSLR is useful) but the shooting style where you hold the camera out in front of you, and not braced against your body just adds to camera shake and all sorts of other problems. just try it for example with a 300mm lens.

It is not a replacement, but an additional tool in the kit, that is all.

As for IQ. i will leave that debate to the pixel peepers amongs us.
08-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

The bolded statement above is untrue. The K-01 producec higher IQ images then the K-5. There are a lot of threads on this, in which users reported the superior K-01 IQ over the K-5. But here is one example:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-01/177763-k-01-vs-k-5-jpg-dng-is...e-samples.html

There's a lot of debate why the IQ of the K-01 is better, of course. Some think it has a weaker AA, others think the absence of mirror-slap. But fact remains that the K-5 has lower IQ.
I beg to differ. I own two K5s and a K-01 and the K5 files have more leeway when post processing than the K-01 files (I only shoot RAW). The K-01 jpegs may have a little more sharpening applied to them out of camera, but since I don't use that it doesn't matter to me.

To the OP, if you don't mind using a viewfinder, I would pick a K30 or, a K50 over a K-01. The K-01 just feels too crippled, with slow fps, slow auto focus. Many mirrorless cameras are a lot better with regard to these things, but the K-01 is not exactly cutting edge at this point.
08-22-2013, 04:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I won't go back to an SLR now that I've been shooting with the K-01 and the Q.

I use the K-01 with the FA80-320mm at my kids outdoor sporting events with few problems. When I first started shooting outdoor sports, I had no technique so I pulled out the old ist DS but hated the teensy viewfinder and having to keep the camera pressed to my face. Eventually, I found ways to make the K-01 work outdoors (use a shade on the LCD) and for sports (mostly pre-focus in front of where the action is, shoot in 3-4 shot bursts, and use a monopod). Also, I wear glasses and find it very easy to look at the LCD under my glasses to compose/focus while quickly glancing over the camera through my glasses to keep track of what's going on in the game.

Now I'm looking for inexpensive ways to attach a small composite video monitor to the K-01 so I don't have to look at only the back of the camera to compose and focus.

It's not a perfect setup. the CDAF system is slower and less accurate than PDAF systems so I have to compensate for that but I love both the K-01 and Q form factors. The overall shooting experience is much more pleasant than with an SLR IMHO.
08-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

is it worth getting the k-5 cuz it seems like k-5 is so far the best pentax k at the moment... unless pentax k-500 beats k-5?
K-5 is pro DSLR. The best Pentax DSLR right now is the K-5II, which is the K-5, but with an upgraded AF system.
The K-500 is the cheapest beginner model, very similar to K-x, but with a newer, better sensor.
The K-50 and K-30 are virtually the same, only have different looks.

lol I think you are over-thinking i t. The K-01 is an amazing deal at the price. The main difference between it and the K-30 is features, like viewfinder and faster burst mode. Quality will be almost the same. The K-5 is a little better in most respects, because of the features it offers, not just because of the sensor.