Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Battery grip question

Hi everyone,

I currently have a K10D with the battery grip that holds a battery, a memory card and the remote.

I will be upgrading to a K5ii soon and would probably buy the battery grip for it also.

Now I have noticed on the Pentax site that they have a hand strap : "Hand Strap O-ST128 (Black)".

has anyone here user it ? Any comments ? does it have a good feeling holding the camera ? Can it replace the battery grip ?

Thanks

Attached Images

Last edited by devouges; 08-21-2013 at 04:23 AM.
08-21-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not Me

Hello devouges,
I tried an off-brand hand strap, and after a couple of days, put it away and haven't used it since. Why? Well, you literally can't put the camera 'down', since there's no strap to suspend it from your neck. The tripod mount now has a QR-like plate screwed in, so the camera doesn't 'sit' on a flat surface properly and you only have one free hand at all times.
It may just be my shooting style- I use primes mainly, so there's a lot of lens changing. For zoom users, that won't be a factor. And I see lots of folks using these, I must be in the minority with my objections. I even had a young woman lecture me on my old-fashioned 2-camera system, both with neck straps. She claimed to know of testing that showed much less camera shake (and resultingly lower shutter speeds useable) with the wrist strap. Apparently (according to her) most of the shake is eliminated by the strap reinforcing the wrist area, She claimed hand-held speeds of 1/4 second with no blur(!).
FWIW, her gear was an entry-level Nikon DSLR with a kit zoom, 18-55mm IIRC. No camera bag or other gear.
Perhaps if you're using minimal equipment (one camera, one lens) and have no need for two free hands, it can be an advantage. It greatly inhibited my photo style, but might suit others.
JMO
Ron
08-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I also use a hand strap, and I can confirm the problems expused above by ''rbefly''. But there are also some advantajes. So, I made a transformation, to fit both the neck strap, and the wrist strap. I will post some picture of this as soon as possible.
08-21-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the genuine Pentax "DSLR Leather Hand Strap" (didn't see a specific part number listed for this on the Pentax/Ricoh website, but I'll assume we are talking about the same thing). I didn't like it much because it locked my right wrist in an unnatural position, making it hard to shift my hand to reach the top plate buttons, such as for ISO or EV compensation, One of the best things about the K-5 is the built-in grip, it feels so natural and solid that you don't realize how often you shift your hand around a bit, until you are restricted from doing so.

And like the previous posters, I was also annoyed that I couldn't put the darn thing down to change lenses, etc.

I have the BG-4 grip, it is awesome, and one of the best things is you can easily rotate the camera to grip it in a vertical orientation, Even more of a reason to avoid the hand strap, in my opinion.

I suppose if I were shooting under controlled conditions such as in a studio situation then maybe the hand strap would be more useful. But for my shooting I tend to move my camera in and out of a small bag a lot.

08-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I too went the hand strap route for a while and have moved on for the many of the same reasons above. A note on the BG-4 grip compared to the BG-2 on your K10. For whatever reason, the BG-4 does not provide storage a SD card but not for the remote as the BG-2 does :-(
08-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I know the battery grip can improve handling (I have one myself), but a hand-strap and a battery grip are two completely different accessories with a different purpose.

It's an expensive solution, in my view, to get a grip only for better handling, and the effect is partly undone because you are adding more than 400 gr extra weight (including batteries). My experience is that this combination is too big and heavy if you are using it for outdoor use, even if you have a light lens.

If you buy both the battery grip and the hand-strap you can test three different configurations. The strap can also be mounted in combination with the grip because its tripod socket is shifted to the right.
08-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I only use the battery grip when I have the DA*60-250mm fitted - it gives better balance.

Most of the time I use a wrist strap I bought 40+ years ago for my Spotmatic. I don't have the neck strap fitted to the camera.
08-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #8

Original Poster
I like using a battery pack. Not necessarily for the extra batteries but basically for the better grip. What would be nice would be to have just an empty LIGHT grip, just to fill in that bottom empty space where my pinky finger is always trying to find a place to rest.

08-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all your feedback everyone !
08-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devouges Quote
I like using a battery pack. Not necessarily for the extra batteries but basically for the better grip. What would be nice would be to have just an empty LIGHT grip, just to fill in that bottom empty space where my pinky finger is always trying to find a place to rest.
I know a cheap solution for that. Make a dummy grip from wood, with the contours of the genuine grip, and sprayed with a matte black paint ;-)
08-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #11

this helped alot!