Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Buying soon...

I know this is a pentax site so sorry if the question offends anyone...choice between k30 and canon sl1. Both kits come w 18 to 55 and 55to 200 lenses (pentax WR). Pentax is around 200 dollars cheaper. Any advice? I like them both...

08-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the site. If the question offends anyone, they need to mature. On the other hand, expecting to get completely unbiased opinions from a bunch of die hard Pentax users might be asking too much!
08-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You also get sensor-based shake reduction with Pentax, another advantage to Pentax in the two kits you're considering. The Pentax 18-55 is widely considered to be an unusually good kit lens. The 50-200 you'll see more mixed opinions. I don't think you can really go wrong with either kit as an introduction to the world of DSLR photography. Canon has the advantage of a huge user base and hence wider range of currently-manufactured lenses and accessories, a more sophisticated flash system if you plan on working with multiple flash setups, and more autofocus modes. The Canon has a touchscreen, which may or may not suit you. On the plus side for Pentax is a 100% coverage pentaprism viewfinder, as opposed to the 95% coverage pentamirror in the canon (the Pentax will give you a bigger and brighter image in the viewfinder), and a better range of exposure modes.

Naturally it depends on which aspects you value most. But the Pentax seems like a better value if it is $200 less.
08-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter

If both of the lenses in the kit are WR then that is another point in favor of the Pentax kit. The K30 is a WR body, so it can take advantage of WR lenses. Also, at 200 dollars cheaper? I know exactly where I'd go. That Pentax kit is definitely the better deal.

08-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #5

I consider three important factors: 1. Pixels: K30 has 16mp while Canon has 18=Not that much of a difference, so it's a wash. 2. ISO performance: both can be expanded to 25,600=another wash. 3. shake reduction: as baro mentioned, you get shake reduction in the BODY of the K30, which means you can buy a pentax lens from 1980 and it will have shake reduction. Canon puts the shake reduction in the lenses, which has two effects: 1. makes the lenses more expensive; 2. makes the lenses more complicated with more things likely to break.

And then there are the intangibles: menu navigation, actual functioning of the camera, max shutter speed, video capabilities, etc. I've never shot Canon, but I started on a Pentax K200D and recently purchased the Pentax K-5ii. I LOVE, love the ergonomics, the functioning, the ease of menu navigation, etc., most of the intangibles. PLUS the Pentax is $200 cheaper? Heck, that leaves money for another pretty good lens, like a DA 40mm Limited USED that is absolutely the bee's knees.

In short, I think Pentax, from entry level to prosumer, is the better value, best value on the market right now. Hence, I vote for the Pentax K-30.
08-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard. The Pentax kit is a better entry-level option in many ways already listed. Save the money for a nice flash or prime lens!
08-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Go and try the two cameras in your hands. How do they feel?

Try using the menu systems. Are they logical and intuitive?

Buy what feels right for you.

(Probably Pentax )

08-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Two additional points to consider:
1. Do you have any friends or relatives using Canon? If so, you could benefit from choosing Canon and share equipment with them, borrowing lenses first and foremost of course.

2. Where do you want to go with your photography in the far future? I know that's a difficult question but if you know in advance that you'll definitely be into birds, sports or action and aren't afraid of four digit investments in supertelephoto lenses, I'd say go Canon.

Otherwise, get the Pentax kit, it's the best value and the best camera overall.

Regards,
--Anders.
08-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Value for money is not even close; better IQ, IBIS, twin dials, WR and cheaper.
08-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolv Quote
sorry if the question offends anyone

I like your style, welcome to the forum.

If you can find a store with both, go in and try and see which you prefer.
08-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tele_pathic Quote
I consider three important factors: 1. Pixels: K30 has 16mp while Canon has 18=Not that much of a difference, so it's a wash. 2. ISO performance: both can be expanded to 25,600=another wash. 3. shake reduction: as baro mentioned, you get shake reduction in the BODY of the K30, which means you can buy a pentax lens from 1980 and it will have shake reduction. Canon puts the shake reduction in the lenses, which has two effects: 1. makes the lenses more expensive; 2. makes the lenses more complicated with more things likely to break.
I looked at Canon stuff quickly and I think that's where you get the $200 difference the OP is seeing. The Canon is probably coming with the 55-250mm f4-5.6 zoom which is Image Stabilized. Their 18-55 is also stabilized. They offer packages with their 75-300mm f4-5.6 but it's not stabilized. I have steady hands but really like having SR, especially for a long telephoto. It extends the ability to use the lens in marginal conditions.

The weather sealing on the K-30 makes the camera feel like it's built twice as solid as the Canon. Even an unsealed K-r feels like a much more substantial unit than the SL1. The SR works against Pentax here a little, because the sensor unit moves and you can sometimes feel it move. The dials on the Canon really suck, and honestly I don't know why. They are the same design and materials as Pentax, probably the same lifespan, just terrible execution.

I never thought I would use weather sealing because it hardly rains here and I don't like being out in rain. But it gives you extra peace of mind when it just might rain, enough to bring the camera instead if leaving it at home.
08-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #12

Maybe not rain, but snow, right. We were at Disney World in Florida a couple weeks ago. I recently bought a K-5ii that's weathersealed and a DA 40mm (that's not WR) and the 18-135 that IS WR. Even with the 18-135 WR mounted, I put my camera in the bag when it rained. Of course, in FL, it wasn't a light drizzle but a downpour. So ultimately, I don't know how much the weatherseals impact my use, but I like the confidence of knowing that they're there. In Utah, and we travel to West Texas often, dust is more a factor, and for me, dust in the wind is the primary reason for weathersealing.
08-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Both deals are through Costco... Let me know what you guys think
08-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #14

It's not apparent? GET THE PENTAX!!! ;>). And welcome to the forum. If you think this is the end of your camera purchases, you got another thing coming. Welcome to LBA hell!
08-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolv Quote
Both deals are through Costco... Let me know what you guys think

Let's see if this affects what you are thinking. http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=15601&mfg=Pentax

Yes they are an authorized dealer and the deal is real. Only one lens but it is WR.