Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Problem with my tripod

I've had my Vanguard tripod for about two years and I have used it almost every day.

Lately, however, I can't lock it into a panning position, yet I can still lock it in tilting position. It feels as though something inside has stripped.

Is it something that can be fixed and, if so, how do I fix it? Or is it time to buy a new tripod?

Attached Images

08-22-2013, 12:54 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
You could just buy a new head, if you like the legs...

Or you could just say to hell with it, move over and bring in the Manfrotto or the like.
08-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Or you could just say to hell with it, move over and bring in the Manfrotto or the like.
Which Manfrotto tripod would you recommend, without breaking the bank? I often use my Sigma 170-500 lens, so it would need to handle that.
08-22-2013, 02:21 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote
Which Manfrotto tripod would you recommend
Strangely enough I'm one the few that doesn't use Manfrotto tripod, so I can't really advise on that, I do however use a Manfrotto 680B Monopod with a Manfrotto 234 Monopod Tilt Head.

Manfrotto 680B Mono Pod reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

For a tripod I personally use a Benbo and have done for years.

Benbo Clasic No 2 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

08-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
You could just buy a new head, if you like the legs...
My advice as well. You can get a pretty nice head for the price of replacement head + legs.

Steve
08-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice everyone.

One of my more handyman friends had a look at my tripod and has fixed it! He popped off the cap on the one side and saw a large screw that seemed to be rather loose. After tightening it, all is well again.