Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2013, 05:28 AM   #1

Where to get battery?

I would like to get an additional battery for my recently aquired K-5. I am unsure of where to go to purchase it, also want to be sure that I get something that will work as it is supposed to. Where should I go to? Also are there any good quality non Pentax brands that are dependable?

08-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #2

I got a deal from eBay albeit awhile ago from a UK vendor. 2x 2000mAh batteries plus travel charger for something like $20 USD shipped.

Vendor was blossom201102 or Petit Photo. These are not OEM batteries. I've never had any problems with them.

Last edited by Action Jackson; 08-22-2013 at 05:48 AM.
08-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazon - Wasabi battery + charger or just battery. excellent life, reliable, well regarded here.
Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery for Pentax D-LI90 and Pentax 645D, K-01, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-7: Camera & Photo
Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Pentax D-LI90 and Pentax 645D, K-01, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIs, K-7: Camera & Photo
08-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

About a year ago I started looking around for a second battery. For a third party battery that was recommended quite often was Wasabi (that can be purchased through Amazon.Here is the link to the battery on Amazon. I picked up two, and they are wonderful. I have had no problems at all. I purchased the second offer, 2 batteries and the charger. The reason was that the Pentax charger had the cords and everything, while the Wasabi charger had the plug that folded in to the unit, and is much easier for traveling. The batteries recharge in either charger equally well.

08-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've used Wasabi batteries for both my K 10 and K 5. They've been fine, and as interested_observer notes the charger combo will then let you recharge two at once, and the Wasabi charger is nicer for travel.
08-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums

++1 for the Kit. I got the same thing based off Doc's advice a while ago and I swear that the batteries are better than the Pentax Batteries! The kit is nice that you can charge the batteries by a wall socket or in your car. The plug for the wall outlet is built into the device so no wires! I hate having a lot of wires in my camera bag, they get tangled and after a while lost. I think I am going to buy a second set!

Also lastly I will say, take a look into the battery grip. I know they cost a little, but it really extends your shooting time and for me the camera feel great with a grip, I will never shoot without one again. I had a shoot 2 weeks after I got my battery grip, long story short my batteries died with about 1 hour of shooting left. The battery grip comes with a second battery housing that you can fill with 6 AA batteries (it may be 8) and shoot off them. Thank god I had that with me, I loaded it up and shot for the rest of the day on AA's! Well worth my investment!
08-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sig0431 Quote
++1 for the Kit. I got the same thing based off Doc's advice a while ago and I swear that the batteries are better than the Pentax Batteries! The kit is nice that you can charge the batteries by a wall socket or in your car. The plug for the wall outlet is built into the device so no wires! I hate having a lot of wires in my camera bag, they get tangled and after a while lost. I think I am going to buy a second set!

Also lastly I will say, take a look into the battery grip. I know they cost a little, but it really extends your shooting time and for me the camera feel great with a grip, I will never shoot without one again. I had a shoot 2 weeks after I got my battery grip, long story short my batteries died with about 1 hour of shooting left. The battery grip comes with a second battery housing that you can fill with 6 AA batteries (it may be 8) and shoot off them. Thank god I had that with me, I loaded it up and shot for the rest of the day on AA's! Well worth my investment!
Glad you like the Wasabi batteries. I agree about the grip and would add that having used both the Pentax and the off brand, if you don't need WR the $45 for the off brand grip is well worth it IMHO.
08-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #8

Original Poster
Battery

Thank you all for your replies. The Wasabi battery and charger deal sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I too am not crazy about the corded charger, so I'll look forward to a less complicated charger to carry in my bag. One more quick question, will the OEM battery charge in the Wasabi charger? Thanks.

08-22-2013, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wiley old goat Quote
Thank you all for your replies. The Wasabi battery and charger deal sounds exactly like what I am looking for. I too am not crazy about the corded charger, so I'll look forward to a less complicated charger to carry in my bag. One more quick question, will the OEM battery charge in the Wasabi charger? Thanks.
Yes, it works like a charm. Good luck, enjoy.