Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TheCaptCool Quote
Any idea how you might have composed it differently? I really don't know what i'm doing, i was just looking through the viewfinder and shot what i thought looked cool. Any good reading materials on composition? Thanks for the feedback.
Someone mentioned Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson; he has another book called Learning to See Creatively which is also good. I noticed that nearly all the example shots in Learning to See Creatively were done with lenses and equipment that everyone might have. A lot of pros have equipment that costs as much as a decent car and give the impression that's the only stuff that will give good results.

You can also just look at pictures and figure out what you like about them or don't like. Then try to duplicate the good stuff.

08-25-2013, 03:09 AM   #17

If you have just come from a simple camera I think you are off to a good start. Your exposure is good; the tones look about right for the time of day. You might have noticed that around sunset the light levels are changing quickly, (it's the same around sunrise) so well done for getting it right at that time of day.

I think that your composition needs a bit more practise, though I liked your first shot, despite the tilted horizon. It isn't always necessary to have the horizon absolutely level in every shot; it depends on the subject manner. In the case of the first shot, it's full of things that we know are either horizontal or vertical, so it's obvious that the horizon is not straight. With a picture of, say, three people interacting that you can't stop looking at because everything is just right, it doesn't matter that the horizon is way out, and it might even add to the photo.

What you do with composition is present a three dimensional scene or object on a two dimensional surface, in a way that makes the viewer interested enough to study the photo.

I suggest that you look for books of photographs, and choose those which have photos that you like. Study the photographs and work out how they were made, and why they work. Even old books can be of use.

Above all, take lots of pictures but try to make every one count.
08-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input, i went and shot a zoo and some family yest, i tried applying composition to the photos basic rules and wow what a difference, thanks again guys.