Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Scott_G Quote
By my way of thinking, if you're not shooting in RAW, you're letting whatever camera you're using process your shot into a JPG anyway. ....
absolutely.
I am way too much of a control freak to allow a camera to make bad decisions for me.
Same reason, I don't use presets in my PP software either...

08-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do the least amount of editing or processing I can get by with. I shoot JPG because I didn't like RAW at all. Tried it about 1500 shots, was definitely not happy with the results or with having to spend 4 times as long doing the editing. So I went back to JPG and the K30 seems to do a good job of giving me what I want. Good shots right off the camera...

For what little editing I do I use Irfan View. It's small, easy to use, very fast and reliable, and has all the features I need for my work. Most of the time I crop and resize, often increase the contrast a little, and occasionally sharpen a bit. That's about it, other than cloning out the occasional sensor spot. Irfan View does a very good job of it, I also installed the plugins package so it will also view EXIF. I don't know why they left that out, but it's very easy to install the plugins and it works great.

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide is where to get it, definitely worth a try if you need something small and light, fast, easy to use. Also my favorite image viewer. Great keyboard shortcuts, and a full screen viewer that can't be beat. (just hit [Enter] to go into or out of full screen mode.)

The only other software I use is GIMP, which is what I use to put the watermarks on shots I post on Flickr. Excellent software but a lot more involved, does a whole lot more, and takes a bit of a learning curve to use it. don't have their website handy, I think gimp.org.
09-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #48

Shooting jpg's is like taking film to Walmart and throwing the negatives away. After all, if editing was good enough for Ansel Adams, it's good enough for me.
09-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alan Granger Quote
After all, if editing was good enough for Ansel Adams, it's good enough for me.
Absolutely!!

09-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #50
Pentaxian

After all, if editing was good enough for Ansel Adams, it's good enough for me.
Unless, of course, you wanted to work for National Geographic...in which case, doing what he did would have gotten you fired.
09-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Shooting jpg's is like taking film to Walmart and throwing the negatives away. After all, if editing was good enough for Ansel Adams, it's good enough for me.
Not to hijack the thread but this is just plain wrong!

Using program mode and 100% default settings actually results in better photos than going to Walmart

But, properly selecting JPEG settings greatly reduces the amount of PP because even if you shoot raw, if your raw converter begins with your selected JPEG settings, AND you think about them properly, I.e. white balance , contrast ratios etc, you can end up with only some fine adjustments or many times none at all, for your final image.

I do this and shoot JPEG , but have a lot of what others have decided as leaving to post processing done up front. From a technical point I give away very little, and neither JPEG or raw will fix any artistic issues i have

But I will agree, for certain types of shots, like high key or low key, you are much better off shooting raw, if you plan to multi use shots, for many purposes, shoot raw, so you have the best utilization of a shot.

For me, if I want to multi purpose a shot, and perhaps push or pull the exposure, with jpeg s I agree I give up some. In that event, as long it is not a main subject, but something for background, I can test the concept, and then go out and re shoot for the effect I want. I am willing to give that convenience up occasionally for what getting the JPEG right offers in return for reduction in PP
09-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #52

I'm new to this and didn't notice at first that some shots really needed something more, first my screen wasn't calibrated, so i got a probe and ok now i could see it, my friend was right, that particular picture was very dull.
So i started using Lightromm, and i find it very good, and somehow quite easy to use, presets are very handy. I do not shoot raw, because i find it is too much to handle for now, most of the time i only do minor adjustements (exposure, contrast) but i find it realy depense on the lens I use, I find that some shots with A50F2.8 Macro with good light realy do not need need anything more on the jpg from the camera.
Maybe my expectations from a picture will raise as I'll get more experience, and will end up shooting raw and 'developing' every shot that is kept.
Time will tell
09-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #53

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
I'm curious to know how many people edit their photos. I've heard people say that every photo needs some editing. I've also heard people say that editing is cheating and takes away from learning to take the proper exposure. Personally, I'm not a fan of editing--not because I think I'm a purist or anything, but mainly because I'm terrible at it! I do not own Lightroom or Photoshop. I have GIMP (because it was free--I'm on a budget). I am not very good with computers and operating software. GIMP isn't very easy to use, but it seems that I tinker with the photos too much and end up with an over processed piece of crap. After going through this frustration a few times, I now tend to just stay away from editing. I've heard that Lightroom is pretty user friendly. Is it worth the investment or should I keep trying to get the perfect exposure? Your opinions are appreciated.
I also edit my photos in some ways with Gimp and have no issues. I also use the free software Photo.net (Yes, dot net.) much of the time too.

10-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #54
Inactive Account

Bumping this thread up after almost a month.

My K30 came with Silkypix, but I haven't installed it yet because my DVD drive doesn't open and won't until I get into my computer's case and move it to a different bay. So I've been using Photoshop CS2 which is free as of the beginning of the year.

How does Lightroom compare to Photoshop and Silkypix? Does Lightroom offer advantages to the novice user, or is it really geared more toward the advanced user?

Thanks!
10-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #55
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Coelli Quote

My K30 came with Silkypix, but I haven't installed it yet because my DVD drive doesn't open and won't until I get into my computer's case and move it to a different bay. So I've been using Photoshop CS2 which is free as of the beginning of the year.

How does Lightroom compare to Photoshop and Silkypix? Does Lightroom offer advantages to the novice user, or is it really geared more toward the advanced user?

Thanks!

You can look at the 50 previous similar questions/answers in the digital processing sub-forum, but I would dedicate a couple hours to reading and focus on the longer threads.

Oh, SilkyPix or PDCU is pretty user unfriendly and cumbersome by most accounts.
10-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Coelli Quote

Thanks!
These programs are a little like relationships: they take time and everyone is looking for something different.

I think software helps you do two or three tasks. The first is a RAW processor. If you shoot JPGs, you don't need that, but for DNGs it's important. The second is editing, anything from cropping a little to heavy manipulation. Third is organization, so you can find stuff later. Most software will handle all the tasks but sometimes be weak at one or two.

The software that comes with the camera can process one image and make it look like the manufacturer intended. I haven't used the software that came with the K-30 so I don't know exactly what it's like. I have the software for my camera installed, mostly to calibrate Lightroom to produce a similar look.

Photoshop Elements tries to do all three tasks but usually in a way that makes you want to upgrade to another Adobe package. Intentional, of course. The editor is the best part if you learn to get most stuff right in the camera, and aren't interested in heavy manipulation. The organizer is OK at labeling images but can't always handle unusual tasks. For example, it has a lot of tools for finding people, but if you want to find all your shots taken with a 50mm lens or at f9.5, that's harder. It has more tools for the secondary tasks you might need, like burning a slideshow DVD of Jimmy's birthday photos for Aunt Martha.

Lightroom does RAW processing and organization very well, with some editing tools. Those tools may be enough, or you could use another editor like Elements or CS2. Lightroom is capable of taking in hundreds of shots at a time, organizing them and preprocessing them automatically. It can even get them all on facebook. It may seem like overkill until you need that or "only" have a few thousand shots.

Photoshop is meant for editing, with the same RAW processor as Lightroom. Organization is limited. Again, it's overkill at first, but if you need heavy editing, it has the tools for that.

Of course, Adobe has competition. Almost everyone offers free trial versions to test out, and some software is entirely free.
10-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #57
Inactive Account

Awesome, thanks; I've been using Photoshop for processing RAW files since I already know it pretty well from using it at work for several years. And since CS2 is free, all the better. I'll keep using it until I find I need something with cataloging (or just catalog separately). Thanks again!
10-11-2013, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #58

I am a huge fan of Open Source software so i use Darktable and GIMP

Here is an excellent Youtube playlist of what is possible with Darktable Darktable - YouTube

GIMP probably does not need any introduction, as it has been the most well known free alternative for Photoshop for years.
10-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #59

Here an example of mucking around with Darktable.

Before:

After:
10-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #60
Veteran Member

very impressive