Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #1

Shake Reduction on K-x

I have just obtained a K-x but am unable to turn on the Shake Reduction. The icon currently has a red diagonal bar through it and when I try to scroll to the icon to turn it on it just bypasses the icon. What is stopping me from switching it on?

08-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to check that it's enabled in the main menu setup. Press "menu" key, The first menu option is the one with the icon that looks like a camera, go to number 4 of the 1,2,3,4 options, last option on number 4 shows Shake Reduction, make sure that is turned on.

Hope this helps!
08-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Check your drive modes. If you are in timer (2sec, 10sec) or remote (3sec or other), you cannot turn on shake reduction - even though you can still fire from pressing the shutter.
08-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply and have done what you suggested but the Shake Reduction is turned off (with a red line through it) and the text is not highlighted either (off??). Struggling to think how to overcome this. Have tried to reset the camera without any joy.

08-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Try resetting the camera back to factory settings. To do that, go to the custom menu, C, and on last option (number 4) second option. See if that fixes it. Was there any thing written in the description of the camera sale to indicate the Shake Reduction didn't work? If not, and resetting the camera doesn't work, I would contact the seller for a refund.
08-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #6

Original Poster
Have reset the camera to factory settings but still no joy. The annoying thing is that the Shake Reduction was working only a few days ago so I can only presume that I've done something to one or more of the camera's settings which has affected the SR??
08-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Did you check what JinDesu suggested. Check your timer settings. Top button on your four way controller.
08-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Do you have the "allow aperture ring" set to allow in the custom menu set to number 2? Custom menu (C) #4, option 22. set to 2.

This will not stop shake reduction from working, it only helps when using a lens that is either M, Screwmount, or has an A setting to allow the camera to select the correct aperture for shooting or allow you to set the focal length of the lens..

08-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #9

Original Poster
Have tried that but still no good. Think I will have to send it back to factory to sort it out for me.
08-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Yep, I've read everything to do with Shake Reduction in my K-X's manual and can't find anything other than what i suggested you try to get it working. Factory repair if under warranty sounds like the thing to do. Sorry I couldn't help you though, that nags at me when that happens.
08-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #11

Original Poster
Have been 'fiddling around' with camera's setting and by turning off HDR the Shake Reduction has now been turned on. Sorry if I've been a nuisance but thanks to you all for your help. One thing's for sure and that I will be back to pick your brains once again.
08-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mangoman45 Quote
Have been 'fiddling around' with camera's setting and by turning off HDR the Shake Reduction has now been turned on. Sorry if I've been a nuisance but thanks to you all for your help. One thing's for sure and that I will be back to pick your brains once again.
That makes sense! Glad you were able to figure it out.

Steve
08-25-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Glad you go it working. I read in the manual that shake reduction is turned off in HDR but never gave that a thought that it might be on, since I told you to reset to factory settings, I thought that would set the camera back with no settings on. Well, now I know the answer, I'll remember it for other users and myself if it ever happens to me or others.

Thanks for letting us know and you're welcome for whatever help I gave you.