Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K30: Cant use aperture/shutter dials after taking pic in manual

I'm sure I must have accidentally changed some setting and not realized it, because this just started happening one day. Unfortunately I haven't the faintest idea of what that setting might be.

Briefly my problem is this:
When I set the camera to manual, I can use the dials to set shutter and aperture as usual. After I take a picture, the dials become unresponsive. I have to switch out of manual mode and then back in so that I can use the dials again. What is this behavior called and how do I switch it back to what it was?

08-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kef Quote
I'm sure I must have accidentally changed some setting and not realized it, because this just started happening one day. Unfortunately I haven't the faintest idea of what that setting might be.

Briefly my problem is this:
When I set the camera to manual, I can use the dials to set shutter and aperture as usual. After I take a picture, the dials become unresponsive. I have to switch out of manual mode and then back in so that I can use the dials again. What is this behavior called and how do I switch it back to what it was?
Either turn off instant review, wait for it to end, or exit out of it manually after your shot. This is an unfortunate side effect of having the e-dials also serve as the playback zoom controls.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
kef

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
You are correct that it has to do with the review feature, but turning off instant review did not help. Whether instant review was on or off, I needed to press play as if to go through my pictures, then exit play in order to use the dials for aperture/shutter. However now I've changed a few other things (I turned self-timer on and off for totally unrelated reasons), I can fully use the dials even with instant review turned on (as soon as the picture I just took goes away, as it was before I started having the problem).
Not sure what was going on there, but it seems to be over now. Thanks for the lead!
10-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by kef Quote
You are correct that it has to do with the review feature, but turning off instant review did not help. Whether instant review was on or off, I needed to press play as if to go through my pictures, then exit play in order to use the dials for aperture/shutter. However now I've changed a few other things (I turned self-timer on and off for totally unrelated reasons), I can fully use the dials even with instant review turned on (as soon as the picture I just took goes away, as it was before I started having the problem).
Not sure what was going on there, but it seems to be over now. Thanks for the lead!
I was having the same problem last night with my K30. I tried all of the suggestions here and downloaded the most current firmware. It wasn't until I realized that "image bracketing" was set to on that I turned it off and my dial began functioning properly again. Not sure why that would prevent the dials from working but it did on mine.