Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #1

K-5II Aspect Ratio

Does the K-5II provide the option to select from several Aspect Ratios, like the K-01, or does it have a fixed Aspect Ratio like the older K-5?

08-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only the newer Prime M cameras support aspect ratios, so no. You can always crop, though

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think the reason they let you change the ratio on the K-01 is that, because it's a live-view only camera, you can actually compose at your chosen aspect ratio. If the K-5 allowed this, it wouldn't change the view through the viewfinder, and you'd still be composing at 3:2. You're better off just cropping later.
08-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I think the reason they let you change the ratio on the K-01 is that, because it's a live-view only camera, you can actually compose at your chosen aspect ratio. If the K-5 allowed this, it wouldn't change the view through the viewfinder, and you'd still be composing at 3:2. You're better off just cropping later.
Thank you Adam & Scratchpaddy for the prompt answers. It makes sense. I often enjoy using the 1:1 Aspect Ratio on the K-01 and wish I could do the same with my K-5. Alas, I just can't find enough reasons to justify getting a K-5II!

08-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Unless... Pentax decides to implement my idea (though I'm sure I'm not the first) to incorporate sliding crop masks into the viewfinder. That way you could set your aspect ratio and then see it live while shooting. It would be great for those who like to "get it right in camera". I have 8x10 lines etched into my focusing screen right now, and I don't know how I ever lived without them. Still, I occasionally allow my subjects head to get too close to the top of my frame for the width of their shoulders, and end up having to "invent" more background to get the shot to 8X10. It would be great if they could remove that temptation. Just sayin'.
08-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
Unless... Pentax decides to implement my idea (though I'm sure I'm not the first) to incorporate sliding crop masks into the viewfinder.
Pentax did this with the "P"=panorama models of the S and Z film body series.
And used accordingly frames on the film itself. But this was easy for panorama, as it just ment to reduce heigh. Could get a bit crowded in the viewfinder box if it should support multiple formats.
08-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Good answers. If you shoot raw, most processors will allow you to crop your photos without losing the rest of the photo. But it is true that it is hard to compose for a square (or other aspect ratio) if your viewfinder is fixed at some other aspect. Oh well.
08-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
If you shoot raw, most processors will allow you to crop your photos without losing the rest of the photo.
Lossless cropping is possible for JPG, too.

Unfortunately, many photo editors will crop not the original JPG (lossless), but the read-in copy, and finally store this cropped image by making a new JPG compression with its own JPG machine. This is very likely the case, if you have done nothing else than the cropping, and the program offers you options for compression rate/quality etc. when saving the cropped image. Lossless would mean the only possible option could be file name and store location

It means a degradation of the IQ, just as making analog copies of copies of sound files.

IrfanView offers lossless cropping (and 90/180/270 degrees rotation) of JPGs.

08-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
IrfanView offers lossless cropping (and 90/180/270 degrees rotation) of JPGs.
As does FastStone.
08-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi,

QuoteOriginally posted by DigiMack Quote
Alas, I just can't find enough reasons to justify getting a K-5II!
If you compare you will never be happy. What scratchpaddy said is right. K-5II is OVF (Penta-prism) - Which is basically WYSIWYG. There is no in camera processing, the image that falls on the sensor is recorded. You can have 1x1 aspect ratio in many many post processing softwares. Most of the image processing softwares these days offer non-destructive processing of your photo (Read-only).

BTW square photos are very 70s / OR the new generation INSTAGRAMish (No offense my feeling, some b&w photos still look great with 1x1 aspect ratio).

K-01 is that, because it's a live-view only camera
That is correct.

Cheers!
08-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Good answers. If you shoot raw, most processors will allow you to crop your photos without losing the rest of the photo. But it is true that it is hard to compose for a square (or other aspect ratio) if your viewfinder is fixed at some other aspect. Oh well.
There is absolutely no linkage to shooting raw as a requirement to being able to edit and crop an image shot in JPEG.

As for viewfinders, there is nothing stopping anyone from etching multiple formats into the focusing screen, its interchangeable
08-29-2013, 04:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
There is absolutely no linkage to shooting raw as a requirement to being able to edit and crop an image shot in JPEG.
Except that, as mentioned, editing jpegs can lower their quality. So if you take a photo in jpeg and crop it, the filesize can increase and new artifacts can show up and some color tones can be lost. (I didn't know lossless cropping of jpegs was possible, its an interesting fact, Im glad RKKS08 mentioned it) I mentioned this in case the person would decide to crop the photos after they were taken.
And the focusing screen etching is an interesting idea

Last edited by Na Horuk; 08-29-2013 at 05:08 AM.
08-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Except that, as mentioned, editing jpegs can lower their quality. So if you take a photo in jpeg and crop it, the filesize can increase and new artifacts can show up and some color tones can be lost. (I didn't know lossless cropping of jpegs was possible, its an interesting fact, Im glad RKKS08 mentioned it) I mentioned this in case the person would decide to crop the photos after they were taken.
And the focusing screen etching is an interesting idea
The appropriate word is CAN. If you take the time to set up your editor properly it is not an issue.

Just chock one more up in the JPEG vs raw argument