Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 02:18 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul-K5 Quote
Happy to know SRS is a top level company. At the moment I'm dealing with them in order to get a new camera. At this stage I cannot say I'm satisfied. It's too soon. If I will get a brand new camera, maybe a K5-II or a K5-IIS rather than a repair I will be the happiest man on the planet. I think they should replace my faulty K5 with, at least a K5-II since the K5 is not producted anymore. Please keep in mind I was using the K5 for work. I choose the K5 for the price, the quality and the fact that many people are saing that the camera and the Pentax customer support is at a professional level. I take photos at summer events here in Italy and if I send the camera to them I won't be able to cover 4 events in the next 21 days.....basically I'll lose 3000 Euros! If they will repalce my K5 with at least a K5-II I'll spread that news anywhere! If not I'll say I got a what I bought but I don't think Pentax customer support is suitable for pro photographers. Maybe my case will unveil some truth!
Sorry for my poor english. Stay tuned for more news.

For now thanks again to all of you.
Best regards
Not for me to say what SRS will do, but I think you're asking a lot to expect a K5II as a replacement for a K5. The K5 is still being sold new by SRS and others, so at best it would be a K5 for a K5, but I guess it's wait and see.

Here in the UK I've known SRS to have provided a loan camera in circumstances like yours, but unfortunately doubt they would send out a 'loaner' to Italy, but again, ask.

The fact that you use the camera for work is another issue. If you rely on a camera for income then you ought to have at least one back-up. Could I suggest you might want to buy another camera body anyway, and now is a good time with the price of the original K5 being low, and prices of the K5II and K5IIs falling?

Given your situation right now, buy another body today then send your existing camera body off for repairs.

08-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if I send the camera to them I won't be able to cover 4 events in the next 21 days.....basically I'll lose 3000 Euros!
How do you 'lose' 3,000 euros? If you depend on a tool for income you should have a backup plan. Backup body, backup lenses, backup flash, backup battery, and so on. If I stood to lose income from missed work because my camera was in the shop I would simply buy another camera. Used k-5s should be around 500 euro maybe? A new one less than 1,000 eu. I understand you don't want to spend more money but if this is work you do what you have to do to work.

So spend 500eu on used k-5 or even k-30 and when your camera comes back from the shop sell the used one on. If you buy right you might even make a profit, if not you lose 100-200eu and make 3,000eu. I just don't understand this.

If I will get a brand new camera, maybe a K5-II or a K5-IIS rather than a repair I will be the happiest man on the planet. I think they should replace my faulty K5 with, at least a K5-II since the K5 is not producted anymore.
Good luck with that. I think you might get a replacement k-5 instead of a trip to the repair shop but k-5II? Nope, no way. Hey, my ford Escape had a transmission problem about a month in, I think they should have replaced it with an Expedition just to make me happy. Sorry for the sarcasm but I think you are dreaming here.
08-29-2013, 04:49 AM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Not for me to say what SRS will do, but I think you're asking a lot to expect a K5II as a replacement for a K5. The K5 is still being sold new by SRS and others, so at best it would be a K5 for a K5, but I guess it's wait and see.

Here in the UK I've known SRS to have provided a loan camera in circumstances like yours, but unfortunately doubt they would send out a 'loaner' to Italy, but again, ask.

The fact that you use the camera for work is another issue. If you rely on a camera for income then you ought to have at least one back-up. Could I suggest you might want to buy another camera body anyway, and now is a good time with the price of the original K5 being low, and prices of the K5II and K5IIs falling?

Given your situation right now, buy another body today then send your existing camera body off for repairs.
Yes JohnX, I know I'm asking a lot but I remeber a friend of mine had a Iphone 4 as a replacement of a dead Iphone 3. Some companies do that just to make the "unlucky" customer happy. I mean...it's up to SRS or Pentax itself to choose how to solve this problem. If they give me a brand new K5 I'll consider their customer support fair, if they give me a K5-II or a K5-IIS I'll reach a superior level of happiness.
I'll think:"Ok, I had a problem with my K5 only after around 800 photos. A digital camera is not supposed to dump you after one month but what the company or the reseller did to fix that was wonderful and they satisfied me totally."
Regarding my work I can say I just started this and I don't even know if I will go on with this activity. I cannot afford to buy any backup at the moment.

Thanks JohnX for sharing your thoughts

Last edited by Paul-K5; 08-29-2013 at 05:13 AM.
08-29-2013, 05:01 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
How do you 'lose' 3,000 euros? If you depend on a tool for income you should have a backup plan. Backup body, backup lenses, backup flash, backup battery, and so on. If I stood to lose income from missed work because my camera was in the shop I would simply buy another camera. Used k-5s should be around 500 euro maybe? A new one less than 1,000 eu. I understand you don't want to spend more money but if this is work you do what you have to do to work.

So spend 500eu on used k-5 or even k-30 and when your camera comes back from the shop sell the used one on. If you buy right you might even make a profit, if not you lose 100-200eu and make 3,000eu. I just don't understand this.

Good luck with that. I think you might get a replacement k-5 instead of a trip to the repair shop but k-5II? Nope, no way. Hey, my ford Escape had a transmission problem about a month in, I think they should have replaced it with an Expedition just to make me happy. Sorry for the sarcasm but I think you are dreaming here.
Ok Jatrax, I get your point. As I mention on my previous post I cannot afford to buy any backup now. I don't care that much about what Pentax or SRS will do about my problem since the choice is not up to me. I'm sending the "faulty" K5 to SRS tomorrow morning then I'll wait for their decision. If they'll give me a brand new K5-II or K5-IIS I will be very, very happy and I'll report this story everywhere I can on the net. If they give me a brand new K5 I'll consider their customer service fair and correct but not exceptional.

Cheers and thanks again for your replies

08-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #20

I've had to send a camera into SRS for repairs before and they don't do loaners unless you go into the shop. They won't send loan cameras in the post. As for getting a camera which costs £300-£400 more as a replacement when they are still selling the K5, good luck with that. It sounds like it is repairable so I guess they will send it to the repair centre in the UK.
08-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fizzyvimto Quote
It sounds like it is repairable so I guess they will send it to the repair centre
+1, I wouldn't get my hopes up high about a replacement, if they can fix it. You should be realistic about the matter, it's probably just a defective the flash unit, which will probably be replaced, but they'll surely test the camera as a whole including the circuitry, to try and determine the cause ...and if they find anything else fix it to be as good as new...
08-29-2013, 06:03 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
+1, I wouldn't get my hopes up high about a replacement, if they can fix it. You should be realistic about the matter, it's probably just a defective the flash unit, which will probably be replaced, but they'll surely test the camera as a whole including the circuitry, to try and determine the cause ...and if they find anything else fix it to be as good as new...
I'm quoting SRS reply:
"Hello

For this type of fault it does seem likely that Pentax UK would replace this for you. We would certainly pursue them for a replacement rather than a repair.
If you can send the camera to us with all accessories and a copy of your receipt, we will get this sorted out as soon as possible for you......"

Now I'm expecting at least a replacment with the same model. I'll be extraordinary happy and grateful if they send me a K5-II or a K5-IIS.

Cheers all!

08-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm quoting SRS reply:
"Hello

For this type of fault it does seem likely that Pentax UK would replace this for you. We would certainly pursue them for a replacement rather than a repair.
If you can send the camera to us with all accessories and a copy of your receipt, we will get this sorted out as soon as possible for you......"

Now I'm expecting at least a replacment with the same model. I'll be extraordinary happy and grateful if they send me a K5-II or a K5-IIS.

Cheers all!
Well, good for you, at least you'll get a new one!
09-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi all,
this is just a final report about my Pentax k5 built in flash problem.
Basically I got in touch with SRS: SRS Microsystems ? Pentax, Nikon and Olympus Digital Cameras, Camera Accessories and Lenses they asked me to send the camera back to them for a possible replacement. So I send it to them the 03/09/2013 via Italian postal service (19 Euros). I got a brand new K5 today the 13/09/2013. SRS even refunded the 19 I've paied to send the camera to England! I'm satisfied....great service. They know what good service is! Congratulation SRS.

Thanks all for your helpful posts
Cheers!