Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K5 built in flash problem

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Ok guys, thanks for this great forum! I hope I can find some help for my problem!

I bought my K5 a few weeks ago (online from a UK dealer) and I was very happy with her but......today something strange happened while i was shooting around 25 photos using the built in flash. I was shooting flowers out in my garden and, as usual after my shooting session I closed the built in flash and went inside to download them to my pc. I was smelling like something was burning but I did not paid attention to that, I thought it was coming from somewhere like my neighbour's house.
While I was connecting the camera to my laptop I laid a hand on top of the camera and I noticed it was quite hot. So I opened the flash and I found out the smell was coming from the flash itself! I examined it with a 8x mag and took some pics. It looks like something melt. It looks like some metal tiny wires (used maybe to dissipate heat) melt!
Now I don't know what to do I'm scared to take photos I don't want the flash to blow on my face!

Close-up

What should I do now? Help!!

Thanks

08-26-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Contact Pentax. This is most certainly one of those "Manufacturer Defects" that they cover.
08-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok Eulogy, thanks. I cannot find any pentax support contact email.
Any advice?

Thansk in advance
08-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Contact your seller.

08-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

It's the dealers responsibility to deal with this. Contact them asap.
08-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Contact your seller.
Ok, I did. Let's see what happens.
One more question.....anyone knows if there is a glass in fron of the flash lamp or what is damaged in my case is the flash lamp itself? In case the damaged part is just the glass anyone knows how to replace it?

Thanks again!
08-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks from the picture that the flash tube burned out and sprayed bits onto the inside of the flash lens, melting parts of it. I doubt it is user replaceable. Because it is so new, send it back as defective and get a new one. Just MHO.

08-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Paul-K5, I didn't see you mention if the flash is still working? It does look as if it needs a trip to the Pentax repair... if the flash tube is still functional it seems that that melted stuff is residue from something growing inside the flash and being fried by the heat. If it is so, then you have a leak in the WR seal and that is supposed to be covered. Thats my 2-cents.
08-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Paul-K5, I didn't see you mention if the flash is still working? It does look as if it needs a trip to the Pentax repair... if the flash tube is still functional it seems that that melted stuff is residue from something growing inside the flash and being fried by the heat. If it is so, then you have a leak in the WR seal and that is supposed to be covered. Thats my 2-cents.
Yes the flash is still working, for now. I took only 5 to 10 shots. I set the timer to 12 secs and went away. I don't want anything hitting my eyes. They are not replaceable!
I have to say I'm quite disappointed by this issue. I payed GBP 449 and just after 500 to 800 shots I already have issues! I think I'll spread this news around since there may be other faulty units around.
Maybe some K5II or even K5IIS may have this problem since, I believe, they all use the same flash unit.

One more pic.....

I bought the camera from this ebay seller: items in SRS Camera and Image Solutions store on eBay!

Thanks all for now.

Last edited by Paul-K5; 08-26-2013 at 05:54 PM.
08-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul-K5 Quote
I have to say I'm quite disappointed by this issue. I payed GBP 449 and just after 500 to 800 shots I already have issues! I think I'll spread this news around since there may be other faulty units around.
That's what warranty is for. If you have never ever bought something before that failed early in its life, you've been lucky.
08-27-2013, 04:01 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Looks from the picture that the flash tube burned out and sprayed bits onto the inside of the flash lens, melting parts of it. I doubt it is user replaceable. Because it is so new, send it back as defective and get a new one. Just MHO.
Ok, yesterday I've sent an email to the dealer......no reply yet nor any items available on the ebay store........doesn't look good to me.
I emailed Pentax using this web form: International Repairs - Europe - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.
and the mail went through Johnsons Photopia Ltd. They promptly replied that I should get in touch with the Italian repair service following this link:
International Repairs - Europe - RICOH IMAGING UK LTD.
Unfortunately there is any emailcontact for the Italian retailer.

This problem is starting to annoy me. Why I cannot find any contact to email directly Pentax? They are the one who made the camera right?....so why I cannot get in touch directly with them?

Cheers all and thanks for your replies!
08-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
It's the dealers responsibility to deal with this. Contact them asap.
I got a reply from the eseller. They said to send back the camera to them and they will send it back to Pentax to sort out the problem. Now, I asked I would like to have the camera replaced and not repaired. Do you think they'll do that?

Thanks all!
08-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul-K5 Quote
I got a reply from the eseller. They said to send back the camera to them and they will send it back to Pentax to sort out the problem. Now, I asked I would like to have the camera replaced and not repaired. Do you think they'll do that?

Thanks all!
You're really lucky you're dealing with SRS. Very good and well regarded company with first class customer service. If you've had the camera longer than two weeks or so then it's a repair normally, but SRS have a good relationship with Pentax/Johnsons and I'm sure will do their best to speed the repair along for you, but why not ask them if they'll do a swap for a new camera? The worst is they'll say 'No'.
08-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
You're really lucky you're dealing with SRS. Very good and well regarded company with first class customer service. If you've had the camera longer than two weeks or so then it's a repair normally, but SRS have a good relationship with Pentax/Johnsons and I'm sure will do their best to speed the repair along for you, but why not ask them if they'll do a swap for a new camera? The worst is they'll say 'No'.
Happy to know SRS is a top level company. At the moment I'm dealing with them in order to get a new camera. At this stage I cannot say I'm satisfied. It's too soon. If I will get a brand new camera, maybe a K5-II or a K5-IIS rather than a repair I will be the happiest man on the planet. I think they should replace my faulty K5 with, at least a K5-II since the K5 is not producted anymore. Please keep in mind I was using the K5 for work. I choose the K5 for the price, the quality and the fact that many people are saing that the camera and the Pentax customer support is at a professional level. I take photos at summer events here in Italy and if I send the camera to them I won't be able to cover 4 events in the next 21 days.....basically I'll lose 3000 Euros! If they will repalce my K5 with at least a K5-II I'll spread that news anywhere! If not I'll say I got a what I bought but I don't think Pentax customer support is suitable for pro photographers. Maybe my case will unveil some truth!
Sorry for my poor english. Stay tuned for more news.

For now thanks again to all of you.
Best regards
08-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
If you can't afford downtime, just get a hotshoe flash and be done with it. The popup isn't exactly professional equipment, many high end bodies don't even have them.