Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

Auto/Man Switch screw

Hi Folks,

Just acquired a nice Super Takumar 55mm F2 & in the process of cleaning it the Auto/Man Switch fell out. I managed to find 1 of the tiny screws, so the first question is:

Any idea where I could a replacement screw?

Once I get that, we'll talk about repairing it.

Stupid question but how can I tell which mode it's in now - Man or Auto?

Thanks for any help!

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG PL210, PL211 / VLUU PL210, PL21  Photo 

Last edited by GBNeil; 08-26-2013 at 11:42 AM.
08-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

If the aperture blades open and close when you turn the aperture ring, it is in manual. If they stay open all the time until you press in the little pin, it is in auto.
08-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any possibility that the second screw is still inside the lens?
08-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the same problem and the second screw was inside the lens still...gentle shake and hope for a rattle
Cheers
Dean

08-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #5

Pan Head Machine Screws - Phillips - Stainless - Micro Fasteners
08-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Brilliant! I had tried shaking it a bit (hmmmm) but it must have moved as I could hear it's faint, pleading cries for help.

I'm not going to sit around listening to that - I'll have a snork around the site but if anyone knows a thread that'll help?

Thanks!
08-27-2013, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Well, I am going to link to my own tutorial, although it is not the exact same process, the disassembly is the same. Unfortunately, if I look closely at the picture from step 8, I think you will need to disassemble the whole aperture closing assembly (screws + levers + springs) in order to access that switch, which may be a pain, depending on your skills.

08-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Well, I am going to link to my own tutorial, although it is not the exact same process, the disassembly is the same. Unfortunately, if I look closely at the picture from step 8, I think you will need to disassemble the whole aperture closing assembly (screws + levers + springs) in order to access that switch, which may be a pain, depending on your skills.
I found your tutorial too - excellent. Unfortunately my experience is non existent & it does seem like I have to dismantle everything. On the positive side I would definitely learn a huge amount. Oh dear, I can also hear a little voice saying v. faintly 'No, not ebay again'
08-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #9

Contact Eric and ask for an estimate. You may as well have the lens CLAed while you are at it.

Home
08-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Contact Eric and ask for an estimate. You may as well have the lens CLAed while you are at it.

Home
Thanks for that, we need an Eric in the UK!

What on earth is is CLAing though?
08-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'll just add 'Beware the little springs!'
I have taken apart a few Takumars to clean fungus etc., generally no problems.
However, when I tried to fix my Auto/Man switch I removed the aperture arm that holds those couple of little springs in place...and that was it...no amount of swearing and fiddling could get them back in place. I ended up taking the pieces to Camera Electric in Perth and they were able to re-assemble the spring mechanism. Right tools for the job and more experience than me...
Anyway, good luck with it...
Cheers
Dean
08-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #12

CLA = Clean Lubricate Adjust

I'm sure there is someone in the UK that is the equivalent of Eric
08-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Harrow Technical?
But anyway, I'd rather get another copy and use this one on a film camera until I get enough experience and the proper tools, and only then attempt to repair it myself.
08-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dean Bradshaw Quote
I had the same problem and the second screw was inside the lens still...gentle shake and hope for a rattle
Cheers
Dean
And did you manage to fix the lens yourself? And if so how tricky was it and how much experience did you have?

I'd like to have a go if I've a reasonable chance of success. After all the lens is hardly unique.
08-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GBNeil Quote
And did you manage to fix the lens yourself? And if so how tricky was it and how much experience did you have?

I'd like to have a go if I've a reasonable chance of success. After all the lens is hardly unique.
See my response 'Beware the little springs'...
As you said, the lens isn't super rare or overly expensive (but great fun and great quality), so opening it up and having a look is a fun learning experience.
I'm far from experienced, and as above, the little springs defeated me...other than that if you keep the parts laid out in order it'll go back together easily enough. A few tricky little screws and resetting the infinity focus are the challenges.
There are a few 'How to' threads on this site, and google...but look for the 50 1.4, as that seems to be the one most repaired, and really very similar.
Cheers
Dean