Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #1

Problems with focusing K-x

I have recently been taking some soccer pics but the vast majority of them are only focused on the centre of the image with the remainder blurred and out of focus. I have the camera set on AF (11 AF Points), Moving Object Capture Mode and also have a UV filter fitted. Can anyone give me some advice on how to overcome this continual problem?

08-27-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It would help us a lot to identify the problem, if you can post a photo with the EXIF (shutter speed, ISO, aperture, etc) information intact.. What lens did you use, and in what conditions were you shooting etc...
08-27-2013, 02:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
Sorry but I have deleted all the images from the memory card so don't think I can supply the info required.

Last edited by Mangoman45; 08-27-2013 at 02:13 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
08-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just a guess but from the description I suggest that you read up on depth of field (DOF).

08-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #5

Without seeing photos I would guess that your lens is likely close to wide open. If you want more in focus, you should read up on depth of field. The next question is we're the photos taken in daylight since those conditions give more flexibility in aperture settings.

Also, I would suggest centre point autofocus when shooting sports as you have better control of focus on your intended subject. For outdoor shots in good light you have more options. What lens is being used is important as many inexpensive long zooms are soft in the corners especially wide open.
08-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #6

A high ISO will not hurt sports photos much, they are rarely enlarged a lot. I would suggest you try ISO 600, even 800, or (gasp) 1,200. (Just remember to go back to a lower ISO later) The higher ISO will allow for a higher shutter speed and smaller F stop, resulting in greater DOF. I personally have had no luck with continuous auto-focus. It seems as if the setting means continuously out of focus. Single, center-point focus is worth a try as long as you always center you subject. Pre-focus on an area near where you expect the action to be. You don't say what lens you are using, but anything less than 200mm will necessitate a lot of cropping, making fuzzy images look even worse. You might need a telephoto lens. Use the "burst" mode and take a quick 3 or 4 shots each time. Subjects that are moving towards you are tougher to focus on than subjects moving across the viewfinder. Your on camera flash is good only to about 15 feet, but anywhere near that and flash might be worth a try. If the flash helps you might be able to find a used one that is more powerful than the on-camera.
08-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I use the following settings for rugby, it should also work for soccer. Tv 1/800-1000, AF-C, 5 point, continuous shooting Hi. JPEG with lens distortion and CA correction off. Highlight and shadow correction off. ISO Auto up to 6400. Depending on the quality of your filter, you might remove that too.