Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Spots & Flash

Hi, bought my Pentax K200D in June 2008 and have had much enjoyment with it but have been troubled with it recently.
Two problems.
1. The flash refuses to pop up.
Have tried help suggestions from the internet which have not helped..
2. Spots on my pictures. it is not my lens(s).
Have tried cleaning and blowing without success.
As I live in the North of Norway I have no opption other than to send my camera off for repair.
My question is if there is pixal damage can it be fixed? Also the flash needs attention.
Would it be worth my while getting it repaired or would I be better off investing in another camera?
A rough estimate to the cost of eventual repair would be appreciated.
Postage not being cheap and the repair costs would help me decide on what would be in my favour.
Thanks. Keith

08-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Keith.A Quote
Spots on my pictures. it is not my lens(s).
Example pictures might help. Most common issue is dust spots on the sensor, which may need wet cleaned. But hard to say without seeing the problem.
My question is if there is pixal damage can it be fixed?
Not sure what you mean (pictures again will help) but if you mean actual 'bad' pixels, then no those cannot be fixed. In more recent cameras there is an option to map out bad pixels but I've no idea about K200.
Would it be worth my while getting it repaired or would I be better off investing in another camera?
Only you can answer that, knowing your budget and circumstances. If it was me, with a 5 year old camera, I would look seriously at the k-30 or k-50. But that's just me.

If it is just dust spots those can be cleaned away for minimal cost. The flash is more problematic and unless someone else here has experience with that problem I will assume it will need to go away for repairs. Cost of repair? No idea, but you might be able to get an estimate from a repair shop.
08-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
There is really no point paying to fix the popup flash, a hotshoe flash would be better.
08-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depending on what the spots are, it either needs hot pixels mapped (I think on the k200 this is a maintenance job) or it needs the sensor cleaned, which you can do by your self. Also note that many image processors have fix routines for hot pixels.

A others have said, forget the pop up flash if it does not work, get a shoe mounted flash

08-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks.
I have given my mirrors a wet clean and things are much better aithough I have not done a thorough inspection as yet.
As for the pop up flash I shall give it no further thought and get me a shoe mounted flash.
A little advice goes a long way ang gives ease of mind.
Much appreciated and thanks again.
08-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure what you mean (pictures again will help) but if you mean actual 'bad' pixels, then no those cannot be fixed. In more recent cameras there is an option to map out bad pixels but I've no idea about K200.
The K200D offers that option.
The OP may look in the settings menu near the end for "pixel mapping".
08-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nice one, pixel mapping for checking the image sensor assembly
to make adjustments carried out. .

Much appreciated.