Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Weird live view issue

Hi there!

I'm having a strange issue with my K5, which I bought used a couple of months ago from a forum member.

When I'm in live view mode, sometimes it shows for a fraction of a second and then goes back to normal mode. Sometimes it takes a little longer and then goes. Sometimes I have no problems at all. And a few times, when it's done this, I can hear what I assume is the autofocus motor spinning away, and the camera won't respond til I shut it off, or in one instance, actually remove the battery.

I don't recall when I first noticed the behavior. I think I've only seen it happen with manual focus lenses, and it was happening a *lot* over the weekend with my Porst 55 f1.2. But that's the only lens I typically need to use liveview on, so I wouldn't necessarily have seen it elsewhere.

This weekend, I'm pretty sure the battery was freshly charged and genuine pentax. It showed 100% the whole time. I wasn't using the grip. Pretty lost here. Anyone have any ideas?

08-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have it set to use PDAF in live view? If so, the camera will exit LV to focus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think it's set to contrast view. Half white, half black circle. And this is happening on a manual focus lens.It even still happened when I expressly set the lever to manual.

Here's a video of it in action. The lens was at F1.2, focused to about 8 feet, sitting on the laptop keyboard, aimed at this page. After the last time I switch it back to live view in the video, the whirring sound starts.

08-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Playing with it some more it looks like it's maybe become light-sensitive or something? If I point it at the ceiling or stop it down to 22, it stays open. At 1.2, or even 2.8, maybe 4, pointed at the computer screen from a few inches away, it performs as above, often with a red circle shrinking in the white background.

08-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Can someone move this thread to the General Technical Troubleshooting forum? I didn't notice that, and I should have posted it there.

Thanks!

Also, I've found it definitely seems to be exposure related somehow... if I mess with exposure compensation, I can make it more or less likely to happen.
09-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Anyone have any ideas? Ever see this sort of behavior before?
09-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
have you tried another lens? Perhaps the kit lens to start?
09-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Far as I can tell, it only happens with my ƒ1.2 lens. I don't have the kit lens. II haven't seen it happen with my DA* 50-135, which is the only pentax brand auto lens I have, or with any of my slower manual lenses.

09-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What liveview does, is stopdown the lens (regardless of "shooting aperture value") to avoid excesive light hitting the sensor. Perhaps the lever on your lens is not communicating properly with the body, so when the body detects the excesive light, it turns off liveview to protect the sensor.
You can check this through the viewfinder with the depth of field preview
09-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think most of the time I had the aperture set on the lens at 1.2. At that setting, the lens can't be stopped down, the lever moves but nothing happens. I'll try it with the lens at ƒ22 and the camera set to 1.2 and see what happens. I modified it so the camera treats it as an A lens. 1.2 and 22 work fine, everything in between is iffy, but the only time I'd be using this at something other than 1.2 is if I don't bring any other lenses with me. (And then I can set it manually to F8 or F11 or whatever and just tell the camera to use f22... metadata will be wrong, but the image will come out OK)