Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #1

Lens

I haven recently gotten into the manual lens. I like the price and they make me kook like a real photographer. I am into mostly landscape photography. I currently have a 50mm (don't know the aperture at work), are the standard 18-55mm that came with my Nex is there any other lenses I should add to my collection? Also any brands that I should be looking for?

08-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are into landscape you probably want to take a look at something wider than the 50mm.
28mm manual lenses are fairly common and not too expensive, so it may be worth looking out for one that fits your budget.
08-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
I have a Sony -Nex.
08-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots of good manual lenses around for the Nex. I agree with crewl1, a 28mm should be nice for landscapes.

08-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I would also agree with a 28. They are pretty cheap, and were the most popular lens from the film era outside of the 50mm. As a result, supply is unlimited.

Wider would be nice, 20-24 mm but these were much less common and command a higher price as a result
08-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Note: 'Landscape' doesn't necessarily mean 'wide.'
08-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I like my 50mm for landscapes better than the 28mm, still use both though. I've also been known to shoot sunsets (basically landscapes in really low light conditions) with a 135mm and 200mm too.

I would agree with the general consensus, something in the 28mm to 35mm range would be a good idea, and definitely hang onto the 50mm, it's great for more than landscapes. If I go for sunsets I always make sure I have both the 28mm and 50mm with me. Never know which one will get the better shots. I quite often take a 135mm too, but that's not a requirement. When I do take it I usually get a few shots with it, and have gotten some nice sunsets with a 135. Your best bet is usually the wider focal length though, something from 28 to50mm.
09-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #8

Original Poster
I also have a question about filters. I have been doing some reading. Filters will help with some of the lightigng issues I have been having with the the sky. I don't know which filters will fit my lens. How doe one go about fitting filters to lens?

09-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The lens will have a number on its front ring which shows the diameter. It will have an O 58mm or something similar printed near the front. That's the diameter. Your manual will also tell you this information. The ring threads are universal for modern lenses, unless I'm mistaken.

For instance:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-17-70mm-F4-SDM-Zoom-Lens.html

There you can see the O67mm on the lens, that's the filter diameter.
09-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ingramml Quote
I haven recently gotten into the manual lens. I like the price and they make me kook like a real photographer. ..
I know it was a typo, but this is almost Freudian. There are many folks who think we "real photographers" are in fact "kooks."

As for your NEX question, my lightweight travel camera is an NEX and I find the Sigma 30 mm f/2.8 to be my most used prime. It is not too expensive but gives very good image quality. On the NEX, it is just a tad wider (equivalent to 45 mm) than the old "nifty 50" so gives close to "normal" field of view. I am thinking about adding the Sigma 19 mm f/2.8 but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Not sure the image quality is there.

Most of the stock lenses that come with the NEX system take 49 mm filters. The Sigma 30 takes a 46 mm.
09-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #11

Original Poster
I have a question. Since I am new I have been doing alot of practicing with my lens. I have started with messing with shutter speed and apture I mostly leave ISO alone. I like to go back and look at the different setting and determine the effects. Since I amusing manual lens I can't get the apture infro later. Any suggestion on what I should do so I can understand that better?
09-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Ingramml Quote
I have a question. Since I am new I have been doing alot of practicing with my lens. I have started with messing with shutter speed and apture I mostly leave ISO alone. I like to go back and look at the different setting and determine the effects. Since I amusing manual lens I can't get the apture infro later. Any suggestion on what I should do so I can understand that better?
Unless you have a lens that can communicate that information to the camera, you won't really be able to know that information. There are manual lenses with the 'A' feature that will let you know the aperture value, and give you more creative control over your picture taking.

You can also look at the aperture value on the aperture ring as you adjust, or remember the number of clicks from the widest setting.

Last edited by Action Jackson; 09-08-2013 at 11:18 AM.